D. Martell Vintage Foster Bros - NOS - Cleaver Group Buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've got an opportunity to purchase qty.17 - NOS (new old stock) - Foster Bros made cleavers that I'd like to share with you folks. ;)

I've been a vintage cleaver collector for many years and among the ones I like the most are Foster Bros. as they're quality made users that stand the test of time nicely. I made a post on Foster Bros HERE back in 2014 if you'd like to check it out.

These particular cleavers appear to have been made by Foster Bros under contract for Maturi Bros of Pittsburgh as the blade is only marked with the Maturi Bros name.

Maturi Bros, from what a gather, was a butcher supply company that became well known over the years for their sharpening service. They, like Foster Bros, have gone out of business.

This is the picture I was supplied of the cleavers available....
Foster bros Maturi bros.jpg

I've been assured that all 17 cleavers are in the same condition as shown above.

I offer no assurance of condition. You get what you get. No refunds will be issued. Please understand this clearly - ask if you're unsure what this means.

The sticker appears to say "110".

Stats from the seller:
Blade Length - 8"

Overall Length - 16"

Handle Material - Rosewood

Steel - Unknown. I don't if these cleavers are carbon or stainless. They're wrapped in what appears to be VCI paper indicating that they're carbon but again I don't know.

This size is the sweet spot for a user meat cleaver. It's neither too big nor small and has a handle that can be used with either one or two hands.

My offer:
$95 - Purchase now and take a chance with me. Crazy sharp Dave sharpening service included!

*I can only offer the above price until tomorrow - 12/5. If the funds to purchase the whole lot aren't generated by then I will refund everyone and pass on this deal. This isn't my choice - it's the offer I was given.

Shipping - Not included. Actual shipping costs will be billed when cleaver is ready to go.

Should I purchase the lot and have left overs the pricing at that time will be increased to:
$125 - Cleaver
$25 - Sharpening

This is an opportunity for you to purchase a vintage cleaver made by legend of a company that is essentially brand new, never used, made of a perfect size, and for a reasonable price. You are, however, taking a bit of a chance as you're buying like you would off of ebay. If you want to take a chance with me I'd love to hear from you. Please shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up with one of these old beauties. :)

Thanks for looking!~
Dave

Last edited:
I’ll take one. Can always hang it on the wall in front of the door to be seen by future boyfriends of my daughters.

OK folks, we've got enough participation to move forward with this - woohoo!

I'm going to contact the seller and agree to purchase the lot. I will need to start collecting your payments at this time so I'll start PM's with all who said they're in and we'll get the ball rolling. If you could pay right away that would be great since this is only being held through today.

Thanks! :)
Dave

Everyone should either have an invoice in their email inbox or a PM requesting their email address. If not, then I'm missing you somehow, please let me know!

Oh, and if anyone is wishing for me NOT to sharpen their cleaver, to leave it wrapped "as is" (maybe for collector purposes or whatever) please let me know.

Back