D. Martell Vintage Foster Bros - NOS - Cleaver Group Buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

I'm willing to honor my original agreement to buy one from you. I'll accept delivery when I see you in about two weeks.

Larry

P.S. In the meantime, inasmuch as it sounds as if there are serious sharpening challenges (to perhaps understate it) even for you, and therefore would certainly be beyond my limited abilities (even after a sharpening lesson from you), if someone else comes out of the woodwork expressing an interest in purchasing one of these cleavers from you it would be fine with me if you reallocated my cleaver to them.

Last edited:
Dave,

I'm willing to honor my original agreement to buy one from you. I'll accept delivery when I see you in about two weeks.

Larry

P.S. In the meantime, inasmuch as it sounds as if there are serious sharpening challenges (to perhaps understate it) even for you, and therefore would certainly be beyond my limited abilities (even after a sharpening lesson from you), if someone else comes out of the woodwork expressing an interest in purchasing one of these cleavers from you it would be fine with me if you reallocated my cleaver to them.

Not to single you out but you brought up a good point that I should address....

These cleavers are already sharp (enough) to break bone and do their intended jobs and can be sharpened using stones as anyone at home/work would likely do. What troubles I'm having is in that I can't make them look pretty/even beveled/and I make them look worse by trying to do what I wold normally do to these cleavers. So it's not an issue of not being able to sharpen them, it'a an issue of not being to sharpen them at a high (and professional) level.

No problem though Larry, I understand where you're coming from and if you'd like me to offer your cleaver up to someone else I will do that. Just let me know.

Dave

Not to single you out but you brought up a good point that I should address....

These cleavers are already sharp (enough) to break bone and do their intended jobs and can be sharpened using stones as anyone at home/work would likely do. What troubles I'm having is in that I can't make them look pretty/even beveled/and I make them look worse by trying to do what I wold normally do to these cleavers. So it's not an issue of not being able to sharpen them, it'a an issue of not being to sharpen them at a high (and professional) level.

No problem though Larry, I understand where you're coming from and if you'd like me to offer your cleaver up to someone else I will do that. Just let me know.

Dave
Dave, Thanks for the clarification. Inasmuch as they're already sharp, I'm happy to get mine (without any effort being made to reoffer it to anyone else who might be interested in one). Larry

Dave, Thanks for the clarification. Inasmuch as they're already sharp, I'm happy to get mine (without any effort being made to reoffer it to anyone else who might be interested in one). Larry

OK, I'll hold one on the side for you to pick up. Thanks!

Wow... I remember this thread popping up a year ago and being tempted! I didnt realise the saga continued!

@Dave Martell, I am sure you copped some anger. Finding yourself in these situations can be stressful and awkward. But on the whole, I am quite impressed with how rational the thread has been. It is the better side of KKF. You had a role in that by keeping the channel of communication open. Perhaps you have been in this situation before? You were wise to issue the caveat up front:

I offer no assurance of condition. You get what you get. No refunds will be issued. Please understand this clearly - ask if you're unsure what this means.

That should have alerted people to the risks. If I have one criticism, it is that you shouldn't have fallen prey to the sunk cost fallacy! You could have followed @Xenif's advice earlier:

Dave, I know you are doing your best, and I really appreciate the work, time, effort and money you have put into it. My suggestion is to:
1) of the 17, how many of those customers are OK with getting them as is? Send them those first.

But dont take that on the chin too hard! You do good work and are a respected member of the community. People understand you were trying to get the best global outcome out of a bad situation!

Well. y 6 year old really enjoyed checking it out tonight. It took him two hands to lift the beast.

What a monster blade. Looks about 1/4 inch thick until nearing the edge, and then it is ground nicely. It's funny to see how thin it is at the edge in comparison to just an inch or so higher.

Hi Dave,
I was hoping to clarify that these are still usable as cleavers, correct?
I wen back and looked at the pictures and cannot see at all the anomalies you mention.
They actually look really nice in the pics form earlier.
Are they somewhat sharp as is?
Can they be touched up on a stone at all?

Thanks for clarifying
Kelly

Yeah, I think Dave M, made more out of it than it is if you actually want this to be used as a cleaver. Mine was much better than I expected and really if he didn't say there was an issue I wouldn't know or notice. Mine needed to be touched up a little just because it had a burr, but other than that looked like a cleaver the way a cleaver should be. I am not a cleaver expert, so take it for what it is.

Hi Dave,
I was hoping to clarify that these are still usable as cleavers, correct?
I wen back and looked at the pictures and cannot see at all the anomalies you mention.
They actually look really nice in the pics form earlier.
Are they somewhat sharp as is?
Can they be touched up on a stone at all?

Thanks for clarifying
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

From post #96..."These cleavers are already sharp (enough) to break bone and do their intended jobs and can be sharpened using stones as anyone at home/work would likely do. What troubles I'm having is in that I can't make them look pretty/even beveled/and I make them look worse by trying to do what I wold normally do to these cleavers. So it's not an issue of not being able to sharpen them, it'a an issue of not being to sharpen them at a high (and professional) level."

@daveb - thanks - must have missed that - sorry!
Exactly the info I wanted

I am look forward to its arrival!
Sounds like @Dave Martell as a craftsman is hoping other things live up to his high standards - admirable!!

Yeah, I think Dave M, made more out of it than it is if you actually want this to be used as a cleaver. Mine was much better than I expected and really if he didn't say there was an issue I wouldn't know or notice. Mine needed to be touched up a little just because it had a burr, but other than that looked like a cleaver the way a cleaver should be. I am not a cleaver expert, so take it for what it is.

I would say this is exactly my experience. I was prepared for much worse, and the cleaver that arrived was far better than I expected. Just as you state, a burr on the edge, but otherwise fine. A beast in fact!

Let me say this .... Canada post suck .... its been with them for a week now :(

I saved the jack o lantern to test it, now the said jackolantern is slimy and gross

Let me say this .... Canada post suck .... its been with them for a week now :(

I saved the jack o lantern to test it, now the said jackolantern is slimy and gross
When you see and hold it you will understand, you could probably take over the whole Canada with one of these.....I kid I kid no offence to Canada, you'd need at least two.....

Back