VINTAGE Sujihiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolpeRouge

Reaction score
Hey Kniveheads,

I am New in this Forum.
I hope you guys can help me with fourther informations on this knife I bought on ebay.
just finished the Restoring.

登録Tōroku
武重本工場製Made by Takeshigemoto Factory

is all could find.

have a nice evening day.

R.

20211202_145602.jpg
Polish_20211202_170225259.jpg
20211202_145607.jpg

I'm going to move this to the kitchen knife section in order for you to get more input on the knife itself.

Just thinking out loud here but... old sujihiki... or oversharpened gyuto? It looks a bit weird at the tip.
Or maybe I'm just being silly and it just looks weird because someone sharpened the front part more.

A beauty it certainly is!
Hope you enjoy your time with this forum.
By the way: there's a huge archive you best approach with Google's 'site:'-function. In case you're not familiar with it: Google search
site:kitchenknifeforums.com term1 AND term2

Just thinking out loud here but... old sujihiki... or oversharpened gyuto? It looks a bit weird at the tip.
Or maybe I'm just being silly and it just looks weird because someone sharpened the front part more.
It's the straight section in the 'before' photo. Poor sharpening. The tip is low as usual, and there's is normally not much belly, but the sharpener preferred to ignore it. Or there was some damage and this was the easiest repair without losing length.
The 'after' photos show a nice continuous profile. With the slightly higher tip it got achieved with a minimal loss of length.

No idea. Most of the knives sold on Japanese auction sites are brands that are no longer around since pre-internet days so it's often impossible to track down.
武重 Takeshige is the brand,.
本工場製 Honkoujousei - Made at the Main factory (sort of like Masamoto's SouHONten.
At least it seems it was a Sakai 堺 maker.
Untitled.png

Please be aware that a brand hasn't necessarily the same meaning as we are used to. It doesn't always mean there is actually a factory with that name making the knife from A to Z. One factory can make it, another one buying it and selling it under its own name. Masahiro's carbons are made in the same factory as the Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH, with different steel and geometry. Plenty of brands have sold the same SLD Honesukis a few years ago. Relatively cheap knives, no huge demand, so no small factory wanted to develop and produce their own ones. Some factories produce OEM's for others. Some brands actually don't produce any knife, but order with others and sell under their name.
In a higher market segment things get even more complicated. A retailer orders some knives with A, who will ask B to produce the blades, C to grind them, D to provide handles, E to assemble them and F to sharpen.

The Blade Was indeed reshaped.
I wanted to try it myself but it had a weird form so It looked like it could not be a straight blade before.
So I send it to a (german) knife sharpening company in 3rd generation and got it back like this.
The belly form makes sense for me because of the shape this blade had before.
it's not highly polished, but I think they made a got job overall.

I put in another before picture.
it's the top one.

thanks for all you input.
Screenshot_20211111-191545_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
Back