Wüsthof AEON

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one of their smaller K series knives on loan and I was not impressed by the steel. The knife is very thin (what is not a bad think on the smaller blades). The handles are pretty poor as they have basically no treatment of the wood. So the first thing after buying would be applying at least a few coats of something like TruOil and do some fine finishing. I think it is a pity that they do not use a bit better steel - already something like O1 would be a noticeable improvement.

I have no experience with there K series. But have read what you mention other places too. It's a shame.

There is some differences to the 1922 series. The K series is to my knowledge stamped blades. The 1922 is forged.

The fit&finish on the 1922 us pretty great. And the handle are treated with an oil that also comes with the knife in a little bottle so you can maintain it yourself.

Yes, the 1922 is drop-forged. And I would guess that is one of the reasons for the keeping the same steel. Changing it would most likely require changes to the process that would not be economical. I also think that it is a pity, that they do not offer a bit better steel. The stainless they offer is even worse - the small knvies are super bendy and sharpening them is not nice.

Yes, the 1922 is drop-forged. And I would guess that is one of the reasons for the keeping the same steel. Changing it would most likely require changes to the process that would not be economical. I also think that it is a pity, that they do not offer a bit better steel. The stainless they offer is even worse - the small knvies are super bendy and sharpening them is not nice.

Your probably right regarding why they don't change the steel. Also it would ruin the whole " the original knife from 1922 idea " if they changed the steel.

I'm no
expert. But my opinion on the carbon steel they use are a good bit more positive then yours. 🙂

I did not have a chance to use a 1922 series knife. Mayne those are better. The K2 or K3 I had a chance to try did not impress me much. But I admit, that I have different perspective and different priorities and am not their target customer.

I did not have a chance to use a 1922 series knife. Mayne those are better. The K2 or K3 I had a chance to try did not impress me much. But I admit, that I have different perspective and different priorities and am not their target customer.
With the K-series they use 1.2519, as with the Lignum 3, not C75 as with the 1922. And their K-handles are designed for the looks — not the use: far too thin. Untreated wood isn't such a problem for home users. Wax it, wrap it in cling film for a few days and you're fine for at least a year or so. In a pro environment it doesn't meet today's requirements, I guess.

With the K-series they use 1.2519, as with the Lignum 3, not C75 as with the 1922. And their K-handles are designed for the looks — not the use: far too thin. Untreated wood isn't such a problem for home users. Wax it, wrap it in cling film for a few days and you're fine for at least a year or so. In a pro environment it doesn't meet today's requirements, I guess.
Well I may have to buy a K series knife and test it again. I would expect more from 1.2519 @ 60hrc. Yes, those handles are for the looks. Then there is their top knife called B1 - do you happen to know what steel is it made from? Online information is just 'carbon steel with 1.1%C. It is rather expensive, but the design would make a lot of sense as a serving knife for cheese and such. I had an eye on it for a long time, but just have hard time to accept the price.

60? Nice. IMO 60-61 is pretty good for overall kitchen use. But wood handles are an issue if not properly treated.

Well I may have to buy a K series knife and test it again. I would expect more from 1.2519 @ 60hrc. Yes, those handles are for the looks. Then there is their top knife called B1 - do you happen to know what steel is it made from? Online information is just 'carbon steel with 1.1%C. It is rather expensive, but the design would make a lot of sense as a serving knife for cheese and such. I had an eye on it for a long time, but just have hard time to accept the price.
Was that B1 not a 14cm blade?? €320...
But it comes with a unique handle, I must humbly admit. There appears to be a public for this kind of jokes. It surely will impress the neighbours.
Screenshot_20200928_161517_com.android.chrome.jpg

Can't tell you about the steel, but 1.1%C would match with 1.2519.

Back