Wüsthof AEON

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUWerner

Reaction score
I know that it doesn't perform like a more traditional J-knife, but I have to say it looks good:

With only 1500 of each, probably crazy expensive.

DLC? But no season pass? At least the coating is resistant to starch from potatoes. Cleaning glove to remove finger tips from blade???
Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money-1024x1280.jpg

When I was stationed in Germany in 2001, I loved my Wustofs. My Wustofs were stolen during a breakin in 2007. Haven't looked back since.
If that's your best option, then do it. There are tons a better options though if you spend some time researching. I don't care if they only made 100 and offered it for $200, still wouldn't even consider it.

AND that bolster all the way to the edge... :oops:
Still think it looks good, in a drawer-queen-kind-of-way at least, but not for 500€.

it comes with a blade that removes fingertips, with or without lubrication by potato starch water. the handle is 1 million years old.

Oh yes, the 1731 is indeed very nice - one of the nicest European factory knives out there IMO. And I bet it would be a better cutter than the Aeon

Can't say that I like the profile. That aside, it's probably a competent knife, as much as any other Wüsthof is a competent knife.

What's happening here is no different from limited release handbags, or limited edition watches, or Supreme bricks.

There will be some people who will buy that knife and treasure it for its rarity and unusual design. If it makes them happy, it probably was money well spent.

Why has no one mentioned that the bolster doesn't even aligns flush with the bog oak handle?

Surely that would be crazy uncomfortable after a while working the knife? Not that anyone who buys that would work it for long hours...

Also, I just checked: you can get handle sized bog oak pieces for like $30 a piece :)

I really think Wüsthof was looking at the knife collectors' market, where some nuts would pay that kind of money for a collector's piece. I really don't think they expect this to be a knife seen in somebody's block or magnetic strip, and actually, well, used to cut stuff.
Don't understand that crazy high tip. At least for me — I'm short — totally unusable.
For big pieces of meat it works well, something like a butcher's knife.

Familiar with the Robert Herder 1922?
Had to Google that:
rh2092189$01-robert-herder-1922-koksmes-23cm-rh2092189-d1.jpg

Very Frenchy, reminds me a lot of my DéGlon. However, it has the same issue as mine - that bolster, all the way to the edge. That's why I'm partial to the Twin 1731 (don't have any), Wüsthof Ikon and Zwilling Pro.

Had to Google that:

Very Frenchy, reminds me a lot of my DéGlon. However, it has the same issue as mine - that bolster, all the way to the edge. That's why I'm partial to the Twin 1731 (don't have any), Wüsthof Ikon and Zwilling Pro.

I own that Herder 1922 myself. And can say it is a very nice knife. Learnt about it from Benuser, and it is probably my most used knife.

Had to Google that:

Fingerguard with the 1922, here the Tranchelard.
DSC-0018.jpg

I understand the principle behind the "finger guard", and maybe in a professional kitchen or with non-knife people it's a good thing, but for me it's more of a hindrance. But what's the hardness of the 1922? My Déglon is too soft, so though it easily gets razor sharp it demands a lot more touching up.

I understand the principle behind the "finger guard", and maybe in a professional kitchen or with non-knife people it's a good thing, but for me it's more of a hindrance. But what's the hardness of the 1922? My Déglon is too soft, so though it easily gets razor sharp it demands a lot more touching up.

It's 60 HRC c75 carbon steel.

It's 60 HRC c75 carbon steel.

I had one of their smaller K series knives on loan and I was not impressed by the steel. The knife is very thin (what is not a bad think on the smaller blades). The handles are pretty poor as they have basically no treatment of the wood. So the first thing after buying would be applying at least a few coats of something like TruOil and do some fine finishing. I think it is a pity that they do not use a bit better steel - already something like O1 would be a noticeable improvement.

Back