WAIT!! panna cotta is just "milk Jello"?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make a hard caramel and crush that mix with some (hazel)nuts, or flavor the panna cotta with f.e. a hint of tonka bean and add a topping that complements Tonka, many options most work really well.

Panna cotta is nice and simple -- it's a great return for a fairly minimal effort. Reminds me we have not made it in quite a while. Th topping suggestions are welcome.

I second pistachios… great combination. Berries also pair extremely well with panna cotta.

You're oversimplifying... it's milk+cream jello.
I've had reasonable success adding all kinds of syrups to make flavored panna cotta. It's real easy, just have to experiment with the ratios a bit.

My favorite thing about panna cotta - if you need it today, you can make it yesterday and call it done.

I've always done fruit toppings, but I need a dessert for Mem day party and I do have a bag of pistachios in freezer.....

Yeah it's great for planned dinners... can do all the prep work the day before. All you have to do is pop them out of the molds and add whatever you want to add.

yup. milk-jello. cooling down, before covering and putting in the fridge.

milkjello.jpg

Something crunchy works well.

What, if anything, do you add to your chili crisp to make it crispy?

the chilli crisps up from slow/low frying in the oil, I did not add peanuts but many versions do.
I did add some falvor components like green sichuan pepper, a lot of the wild andilaman pepper, and i used Sichuan dried red chillies, and left all the seeds in.

had one for breakfast. for science. i need more gelatin. it was kinda soft, and slumped when i inverted it onto a plate.

I think for me, the pro move is to invert it onto a plate. it looks more pleasing in my opinion...anyone can garnish a desert in glassware. which is how I am eating these, since they are on the soft side.

The major downside of serving in glasses is that you can't lick any residu off your plate at the end.
I've usually made them in silicone molds (for example cupcake molds) and popped them out on plates.

i love the stuff. had it in italy and it was fantastic. seems easy to make. i have to bring dessert. thinking small mason jars filled with milk-jello with a rasberry dropped on top will be easy enough.

any good tips? great toppings?
I went to a Peruvian restaurant at Pillar Point on my 70th birthday and they brought out my first and only panna cotta gratis surrounded by fresh strawberry slices. A near life changing experience.

I went to a Peruvian restaurant at Pillar Point on my 70th birthday and they brought out my first and only panna cotta gratis surrounded by fresh strawberry slices. A near life changing experience.
La Costanera or Lamas?

I like adding sour cream, yogurt, creme fraiche, labneh, keffir, or goat cheese for a light tang...easy and versatile.
Scored points with a Persian lady once by making her a rose water and cardamom infused panna cotta topped with pistachio. She was ok with me dating her daughter after that.

Back