Waiting Times & Price Increases

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now you will. At least indirectly, from me.

Before that, I will say that I truly tried to present things as factually accurate as I could. I didn't intentionally omit any relevant details. Yes, there is the other side. But the maker didn't provide any explanation of the price increase, just that there was one.

After reading the earlier replies here, sleeping on it, and a few messages by PM, I wrote the maker this morning. Told him I was disappointed about the price increase, and asked if we could compromise on a price in between his initial quote and then the delivery price.

He replied fairly quickly, said he had been thinking about the situation, took responsibility for the lack of communication, and said he would honor the initial price.

After paying, I sent him a response, and thanked him for his response. I mostly didn't want to have the negative issues about pricing to taint my impressions of the knife, as it is something I have been looking forward to for some time now.

So, I'm glad to report this was resolved amicably and respectfully.

Honestly? You should have asked the maker about things before starting this. Always go back and try to resolve things first. That's basic.

So, you’ve never asked a friend or loved ones advice before moving forward in a certain situation? A lot can happen in 24 hours. Pm’s, emails, on and offline discussions. It’s always better to get a varied view before moving forward if at all possible. At no point was the maker called out and in fact it’s a productive conversation in general if you read through the thread. Don’t be so quick to judge.

To start a thread in a forum like this before even communicating one's concerns to the other party is not cool.
Couldn't this have been resolved if you just informed the maker you were surprised by the price difference before asking a public forum what to do?
Glad it was resolved amicably buyer has to bear the responsibility that he/she didn't even talk to the maker before starting a thread...

asking for advise instead of acting rashly is common sense

So, you’ve never asked a friend or loved ones advice before moving forward in a certain situation? A lot can happen in 24 hours. Pm’s, emails, on and offline discussions. It’s always better to get a varied view before moving forward if at all possible. At no point was the maker called out and in fact it’s a productive conversation in general if you read through the thread. Don’t be so quick to judge.

I'm not judging (much) but in almost every case I've ever seen where there's an issue like this it helps when the parties actually talk about the issue (as it did here). After all, that was my first question when I started reading this. I thought. "Huh, why not just ask the maker about honoring the quote?" I mean, it's the obvious initial step and look at what simply asking did - the OP got what they wanted in the first place and the six pages back and forth really weren't needed.

because that's a naive way to negotiate...which is what you are doing in that situation...when you go back and "ask" about "it"

I'm not judging (much) but in almost every case I've ever seen where there's an issue like this it helps when the parties actually talk about the issue (as it did here). After all, that was my first question when I started reading this. I thought. "Huh, why not just ask the maker about honoring the quote?" I mean, it's the obvious initial step and look at what simply asking did - the OP got what they wanted in the first place and the six pages back and forth really weren't needed.

It’s much more complicated than that in this case, trust me...

In regards to the larger issue at hand- I’ve been on this forum for 6 years, and most issues in my time here have been resolved amicably after discussion with multiple parties. And if not amicably at the very least resolved in a manner that was less dramatic, detrimental, and over all beneficial in the most part to both parties. As I said above, having access to more data is typically informative when trying to resolve potentially difficult situations. This thread, as many others do as well, revealed an interesting cross section of opinions and experiences, hence the concept of an open yet focused forum such as this.

It’s pretty obvious who the maker is, and I don’t think it would’ve changed anything for him and the demand for his knives if he would’ve played hardball....

That being said, I understand the frustration of the OP and I share it. I sold 2 knives now that I really love because they remind me of all the BS back and forth with the maker.

One other I returned the knife and will never buy from again. There are enough makers out there worthy of my money and time.

That being said: Shout out to Robin Dalman, Bloodroot and Marko for honoring prices.

BRB even said they’ll Honor old prices from over 2 years ago when I approached them about changing my order from a simple WA to a Western integral!

Thank you gentlemen [emoji6]

Good ending glad it worked out for you.
Hope the knife lives up to the three year wait with a tinge of drama

asking for advise instead of acting rashly is common sense

This is the essence of my starting this thread. Some may disagree, but I see a valuable and productive discussion, incorporating a variety of viewpoints, and which may be of benefit (hopefully) in future transactions, for both buyers and makers.

I thought it was worthwhile to consider other people's input before taking action. We can all be biased toward our own position (and I'm sure I have my own biases), but my intent was to gather additional information and viewpoints, and give them due consideration, before taking action. That's how I do things, and I do appreciate the various responses here.

There were indeed some clear benefits of opening this conversation, some of which were carried out by PM. I heard from another long-term and respected member who was in a very similar situation, and our conversation was helpful. Also, based on PMs, I have a strong suspicion that the maker either read this thread, or was at least notified of its general contents. Which very likely could have helped bring out a positive resolution.

Collecting information, and collecting my thoughts, probably helped me to get the right tone in my response to the maker--at least I hope so.

Initially, two possible outcomes would have been to just pay what the maker requested or to decline to pay for and take delivery of the knife (and would leave in question how to resolve the issue of the wood supplied). Both of those had significant downsides, and I wanted to proceed in a way that made either of those outcomes less likely. I think it was helpful to get the broader view before continuing the discussion with the maker.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I do appreciate everyone who weighed in.

And now you will. At least indirectly, from me.

Before that, I will say that I truly tried to present things as factually accurate as I could. I didn't intentionally omit any relevant details. Yes, there is the other side. But the maker didn't provide any explanation of the price increase, just that there was one.

After reading the earlier replies here, sleeping on it, and a few messages by PM, I wrote the maker this morning. Told him I was disappointed about the price increase, and asked if we could compromise on a price in between his initial quote and then the delivery price.

He replied fairly quickly, said he had been thinking about the situation, took responsibility for the lack of communication, and said he would honor the initial price.

After paying, I sent him a response, and thanked him for his response. I mostly didn't want to have the negative issues about pricing to taint my impressions of the knife, as it is something I have been looking forward to for some time now.

So, I'm glad to report this was resolved amicably and respectfully.

This has to be the dumbest thread I have read in a long time. Had you simply contacted the maker with your concerns rather than whining here, your post would have been a proud picture of the knife and kudos to the maker.

@HRC, where did you find that quote of mine? I’m pretty sure it’s not in reference to anything in this thread.

If you click on the little blue box with the >> arrows it will bring you to the original location of the quote.

as my old buddy Rodney used to say, "can't we all just get along??"...
I actually enjoyed the thread...
no harm, no foul.

A lot of judgemental posts from not so familiar names....... I wonder why we can never seem to keep people around........ Hmmmm

Do you simply want the same dozen people to all have the same opinion? I mean, I'm happy to leave. But it's silly to

1) have a discussion forum and then complain about differing opinions and

2) To note you can't keep people around but then complain about new people who don't agree with you.

When I have a situation like OP's I usually simply ask the other party what's up. "Hey, I thought we'd agreed on $N for this and I see you've billed me $Y... what's up?" After all, all of the posts here, the PMs, etc... vs a one paragraph email? That feels... odd. Different strokes, of course. but this wasn't a very complex situation. In other cases, yes, the problem is more complex and discussion has more obvious value.

As far as being judgmental, I at least am not judging the OP, but some of us are wondering why the obvious step of simply talking to the maker first about a straightforward issue wasn't taken. As above, this is a discussion forum. It's odd to complain about discussion in such a place.

Finally, I see a lot of people not raise an issue with a vendor and then take off on them in social media... from a bad meal at a restaurant to a defective product, etc - and it feels like so much could have simply been avoided by talking to the other party in a straightforward manner about the issue.

Finally, I see a lot of people not raise an issue with a vendor and then take off on them in social media... from a bad meal at a restaurant to a defective product, etc - and it feels like so much could have simply been avoided by talking to the other party in a straightforward manner about the issue.

so true. Hard to believe these are grown adults, so weak of them, lame really

Back