Wakui Blue#2 knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
Hi all.

Anyone here that knows about wakui knives? Are they good knives?

I’m looking at a vendor that sells them in blue#2. But other vendors only sells them in white#2 .

have the first vendor maybe made a mistake. Do they even make them in Blue#2 steel ?

thanks in advance.
Have a nice day 😊

Heckel7302

Reaction score
I love my Wakui. It’s a lot of knife for the price. Mine is a solid middleweight at 222g, but very thin behind the edge and performs great. F&F is on par with much more expensive knives. Mine is white 2 so can’t speak to the B2 versions, but mine sharpens like a dream and has great retention (at least for me as a home cook cutting on a rubber board). I like to use it when I want something that feels a little more substantial than my more lasery knives.

Jason183

Reaction score
Wakui is great, I have a 240 in B#2 carbon clad from Cleancut

Think of it as a cousin of Yoshikane
Some ppl prefer the flatness of Yoshikane, but for ppl who do not, I really think Wakui or Kochi is greater choices in terms of price/performance.

Last edited:

tostadas

Reaction score
I've had a number of wakui knives in w#2 and v2. I love the profile. They have comfortable thickness out of the handle, gradual taper, and generally forward balance. Grinds on mine have been 50/50 without much bias toward right or left. They're pretty flat ground from the edge to shinogi without much convexing. Depending on thickness of the blade, they vary from light-midweight to midweight. I haven't tried the b#2 but if it's anything like the versions I've tried, it should be an excellent performer.

henkle

Reaction score
I love my Wakui White #2 210 gyuto. Easy to sharpen and great balance. My go-to knife in my home kitchen. F&F first rate.

SirCutAlot

Reaction score
+1 for Wakui and of coarse Kochi. I have a Blue 2 Warikomi Mikagi Nakiri and this thing is really nice.

In my opinion one of the best knife makers in Japan, and i tryed some. Cool profile, very good HT, nice nimble taper and fair pricing.

At work the only rusty J-knifes i use are Wakui (Nakiri) and Kochi (Deba and Honesuki).

SirCutALot.