Wakui Gyuto Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the Kochi comes back in stock and sell out when I'm on vacation in August and have limited internet access I would be so sad

i dont have any shipping notification from the craftsman yet, so its hard to say for sure when things will be back in

@JBroida is the 180mm gyuto still part of the Kochi line? Or just whatever you have listed on the website now? I'm gonna try to get a 240mm Kurouchi gyuto with machi if that ever comes back in stock

we never made a 180 gyuto in that series. There is a 180 k-tip santoku though. I dont generally like the 180mm size for a gyuto... it kind of defeats the purpose of what a gyuto should be able to do.

we never made a 180 gyuto in that series. There is a 180 k-tip santoku though. I dont generally like the 180mm size for a gyuto... it kind of defeats the purpose of what a gyuto should be able to do.
You're right, I was thinking of the 180mm Gengetsu petty. I'm guessing that's no longer part of the line though.

yeah... a while back we had to change the way we went about having them made, and part of that limited what kinds of shapes and sizes we could do sadly

yeah... a while back we had to change the way we went about having them made, and part of that limited what kinds of shapes and sizes we could do sadly

Ah I never got to see the various configurations gengetsu and kochi came in. I am waiting eagerly for the v2 240 to come back

Wow! You may have just changed my mind! With the unpredictable waiting period for a V2 this makes those nashiji very very tempting..... what’s the grind like on your gyutos?? Tip performance? They look to be nice and sturdy, just like I like! If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the weight estimate on your particular 240?
Sorry I missed this. I may be selling my 240. If you're interested send me a PM. I can't send you a PM for some reason.

I like them both for different reasons. Both perform really well, but the migaki is lighter and thinner. A bit less food release, but it just flies through everything. I didn't want to choose, that's why I have both. If I had to, it would probably be the nashiji because I prefer thicker and heavier blades. Again, that's a personal preference.

WAKUI MIGAKI 240

Ashy, that’s a beautiful knife. Simple, no nonsense design. Glad I bought it, it’s found a happy home!

sadly, that is not something we do. Restock notification is the best option we have.
I noticed the original listed dimension is 55mm at heel. Have they normalized to be shorter nowadays? All the recent bst listings measured around 50mm.

I noticed the original listed dimension is 55mm at heel. Have they normalized to be shorter nowadays? All the recent bst listings measured around 50mm.
Curious to hear this as well. Interesting that this may have changed.

Curious to hear this as well. Interesting that this may have changed.

yeah the biggest appeal of the kochi (among many) was a tall heel height.

yeah the biggest appeal of the kochi (among many) was a tall heel height.
There seem to be several threads from different makers that all seem to be changing their profiles often reducing the height of the heels of the knives. I wonder what is driving the changes.

I'm curious about the Kochi height as well. Really hoping the next batch would churn out monster ~53mm gyutos.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the Kochi height as well. Really hoping the next batch would churn out monster ~53mm gyutos.
Any thoughts on why makers might be shifting to lower heel hight, less flat designs, etc. Seems to be in a lot of threads where forum members are looking to find earlier / older versions of knives with taller and flatter profiles.

Any thoughts on why makers might be shifting to lower heel hight, less flat designs, etc. Seems to be in a lot of threads where forum members are looking to find earlier / older versions of knives with taller and flatter profiles.

I'd have to guess it's a combination of material cost and popularity. Also just maybe it's a smidge easier to make.

Mine (Migaki) is 54.3mm.
20190722_200808.jpeg
20190722_201026.jpeg
20190722_201311.jpeg

@MrHiggins still nice and tall though. Do you find the cladding reactive compared to the core steel? Thanks again!
Hard to tell. It's as reactive as any iron clad knife. It gives me no special problems. It's a great knife. I went on something of a knife selling purge lately and I never considered putting this one on up.

I own both a 225 Kochi V2 KU and a Wakui 210 Shirogami #2 stainless clad with the red ebony handle. I also own a Kochi KU 150mm Petty. All of them are fantastic knives, the 2 gyuto's are quite different from each other for obvious reasons though, especially aesthetically and food release-wise. These are 2 knives I will probably never sell, you can't go wrong with either.

Japan messer is restocked on v2. Been staring, I want one, but I know I'll just flip it cause I'm just not about the KU life. I'll just go gamble on a tf nashiji 195mm.

Back