Wakui

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't read German, but those are nonstainless-clad V2.

i dont understand why people are calling rosewood "red ebony" now days... its shitan in japanese... rosewood

perhaps because there are new rosewood export bans in various places around the world?

Could somebody translate this page or tell me a little bit about these knives? Are they stainless clad or carbon?
https://www.japan-messer-shop.de/de...i-V2-Kurouchi-Gyuto-24-cm-nicht-rostfrei.html

Iron clad V2, not stainless. If you remember the 'old' kurouchi Itinomonn knives that Maxim used to carry, than this is the same maker and based on photos the same kind of finish (though possibly different geometry, of course). I would expect this to be a great knife for the price.

Hi Choppin,

Hopefully this is not too late and still useful. I have tried both the KU and Kasumi finish and found the Kasumi finish to be much thinner behind the edge and a smoother overall cutting experience.

As far as reactivity I can't speak 100% to it, but the kasumi is definitely stainless clad. I did not extensively test the reactiveness of the KU.

Still consider kasumi Wakuis to be one of the best value knives bar-none.

Does anyone have experience with Wakui nakiris? They seem to be on the thin and light spectrum of nakiris but would appreciate the impression of users.

Bernal and Cleancut sell different kinds, I'm a bit confused if they are the same knife, just with diferent finishes. Is the Cleancut also SS clad or fully reactive?

Bernal
white #2
Kasumi, SS clad
Site says "light and thin profile"
Red ebony D handle

Cleancut
white #2
Nashiji KU, not sure if SS clad of fully reactive, site doesn't say
160g, 1.6 mm thickness mid back (in line with Bernal's description...)
Red ebony D handle

Thank's Mike! That was helpful. Not too late at all, I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Hi Choppin,

Hopefully this is not too late and still useful. I have tried both the KU and Kasumi finish and found the Kasumi finish to be much thinner behind the edge and a smoother overall cutting experience.

As far as reactivity I can't speak 100% to it, but the kasumi is definitely stainless clad. I did not extensively test the reactiveness of the KU.

Still consider kasumi Wakuis to be one of the best value knives bar-none.

Back