Wallets

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same thing in Hawaii. A lot of smaller operations prefer cash. Example when my friend & I picked up grafted Avocado tree starters, he paid with card + 4.7 state tax.
I paid cash no tax.

That's why I'm old school must have a dedicated spot for cash with a bifold. Not folding up cash stuffing it in a card slot. But thinned out cards don't carry wallet full of cash either.

We have change as well as our smallest bill is a 5. 1 and 2 euro coins are always in the wallet. But since i starred going to the chiropractor I make sure to always remove my wallet before sitting down. I cannot do the front pocket thing.

Croc is flat, alligator has raised scales. The only problem I've had with cargo pockets is that I've missed dropping my wallet into the slot. Duh!

This is a Croc wallet one side has ridges other side is smooth. Looked at pictures of Croc's they have this type of ridge.

The wallet was large couldn't put in rear pocket because of ridges when sitting. So put it in front pocket of cargo pants. Needless to say it
didn't get used much. I wanted unusual animal
leather wallets, so got the kangaroo. It was smaller, best wallet I've owned lasted almost 10
years.
IMG_20211020_082055556.jpg

IMG_20211020_081807987.jpg

It depends on where on the hide the piece was taken. I have one that was taken from a baby croc's ridge on the back. It's an interesting pattern, but I don't use it much. I look for the the wallet that has the large, smooth scales, IMHO the bigger, the better. I'm pretty sure that the large, smooth sections are taken from the belly.
I like watching the crocodile/alligator skin luggage in the old movies. There is a scene in Out of Africa where there is one with ~ 12x6" scales. That was one huge Nile crocodile!
The individual scale patterns on alligator are convex, which some people prefer.

I hear ya. Lost a lot of weight by cutting out sugar & processed foods cuz had pre diabetic on blood test. Lost my pot belly not starving but changed what I eat. So could wear a shirt tucked in first time in years😁. Got a nice cayman croc. belt.
IMG_20211020_100630689.jpg

Those giant Nile Croc's that take down wildebeest. They are living prehistoric animals.
Fossils go back 200 million years. Some look same as modern Croc's. They are highly adaptive and tough. Can survive major injury & heal even in water. Great genetics reason why survived so long.

I hear ya. Lost a lot of weight by cutting out sugar & processed foods cuz had pre diabetic on blood test. Lost my pot belly not starving but changed what I eat. So could wear a shirt tucked in first time in years😁. Got a nice cayman croc. belt.
View attachment 147825
I have to do the same thing. Gained way too much weight post op and post pandemic.
Beautiful belt! I have one just like it, love the burgundy color. Then you have to have matching shoes. Unfortunately the belt size was a long time ago, and there isn't much chance I'll get back down to that size.
Acquired a Morpheus-style overcoat, all croc. It's more for Halloween. Not keen to shave my head though!

Ended up getting this one. Works perfect holds
My stuff easy after thinned out what I carry.
Should last a long time waxed thread is done by
hand.
IMG_20211025_110137566.jpg

I have Bellroy Note Sleeve and Nodus Compact Coin Wallet and I find the latter to be more durable and better to just throw things inside. And it carries coins better than Bellroy (carrying cash/coins is very useful in my country) and the zipper feels smooth and overall this wallet fits me perfectly.

1637449112927.png

1637449142778.png

1637449187907.png

The new Craft and Lore Insider (Natural Veg Tan) landed two days after I hit the order button.

XSzZm8C.jpg

POQFgiy.jpg

SnxnnvC.jpg

8evbIAr.jpg

The pictures of it are straight out of the package. You can see it isn't even sitting closed yet. Quality is excellent and while it has a variety of pockets/slots it is still quite thin with a moderate front pocket footprint. For back pocket it should be super comfortable. I'll carry it for a while and give more feedback.

So I learned my son in law decided to ditch his Costanza wallet and has been carrying a flimsy plastic, card holder thing for a while. My daughter told me this and when they were over a while back I asked him about it. He pulled out one of them cheapy hunting/fishing license holders deals you can grab free at sporting goods stores.

I showed him my Open Sea Leather Hot Rack and he liked it but said he'd like to find something in between the card holder style and full blown wallet. He's still carrying in the back pocket.

So, I ordered him an Open Sea Leather Topsider Quickdraw in chestnut (outside) and whiskey (inside) and it just landed. It is freakin' awesome. This wallet is small and thin enough to easily be a front or back carry option and in fact I just might get myself one for front carry.

Fqr4POD.jpg

QOZtsu1.jpg

A better shot of the leather contrast. Close colors but still distinct and I bet will age amazingly.
3wW1cox.jpg

When started using bull sheath wallet didn't like it was a bifold but cash hard to put in & take out because tight. Also leather rough friction.

Used my old kangaroo & started looking on this thread about four months ago. First page someone mentioned had Mr. Lentz shop wallet.
Ordered one. Been using couple months really like this wallet it's thin, uses rivets instead of thread. Easy to use and take things in and out
Just a nice designed wallet.
IMG_20220211_201401367.jpg
IMG_20220211_201438733.jpg
IMG_20220211_201554533.jpg

Figure be using this wallet a long time

When started using bull sheath wallet didn't like it was a bifold but cash hard to put in & take out because tight. Also leather rough friction.

Used my old kangaroo & started looking on this thread about four months ago. First page someone mentioned had Mr. Lentz shop wallet.
Ordered one. Been using couple months really like this wallet it's thin, uses rivets instead of thread. Easy to use and take things in and out
Just a nice designed wallet.
View attachment 165271View attachment 165272View attachment 165273

Figure be using this wallet a long time

I thought that looked like a good option too. Glad this thread helped you pick something out! :)

I use this iPhone magnetic leather card holder. Could put an ID plus 2 cards which is good enough most of times. Save a lot space and less worry about losing it as iphone reminds you when it's detached. It also has a built-in chip for location so you know where it is.

1662397030914.png

After I blew out a couple discs, I started actively focusing on wallet content reduction. I'm an old dude but in the modern age I find I need to carry damn little every day. I pared down my stuff to be pretty thin and it helped a lot but as time went on I found myself putting my bifold wallet in my front pocket. And as minimal as I'd gotten, the vessel itself still had bulk. Literally, over months as I contemplated changes, I researched a ton of stuff. Turns out, there's a lot of awesome wallets out there these days!

I ended up ordering an Open Seas Leather (formerly Das Offene Meer) Hot Rack minimalist wallet. No, no pics as it'll be a few weeks before Michael makes it.

So I focused on minimalist and surely not everyone does but if you've ventured into wallets beyond the department store racks, I'd love to see and hear about them. This could get addicting for me...
Yeah. I've gone to only the front pocket kind of wallet. That just holds a few cards, and if I'm carrying cash I can still fold it up, and put it in there.

@Keith Sinclair not sure where you are in HI but Open Sea Leather is in Honolulu.
Yeah Michael Bluth US Navy does some nice leather work. Guess that's why leather goods have Nautical names. Never met him have checked out his site.

As you know I found my wallet from this thread love it. When find something I really like tend to shop there again. I contacted Mr. Lentz said loved his wallet thinking of getting snap version. He said that's the wallet he uses because he just throws it around. Bought one been using it ever since
It's getting well broken in. You can pack quite a bit in this bifold I try to keep stuff out that don't use. Had my last name embossed on it.
IMG_20220905_100927640.jpg

IMG_20220905_101032588.jpg
IMG_20220905_101125963.jpg

I carry it in front pocket

I unloaded years ago. I’m a Trayvax and Bellroy stan. The Mr. Lentz stuff looks nice. The Craft and Lore does too.

I carried a Craft and Lore Insider for a while and it is really nice. But for me, the Open Sea Top Sider Quickdraw beat it out. My co-worker like the Insider though so he's now carrying it and loves it.

Lots of great options out there these days!

I carried a Craft and Lore Insider for a while and it is really nice. But for me, the Open Sea Top Sider Quickdraw beat it out. My co-worker like the Insider though so he's now carrying it and loves it.

Lots of great options out there these days!
I just ordered the OS QuickDraw. It looks really well engineered. I don’t use, or try not to use, cash But always carry some. The way you can just slide some bills in and just fold over is genius. Nice rec, thanks.

Very cool. I hope you report back on your thoughts.
Ok. This just after only a week of carry. This wallet (Topsider QuickDraw) is awesome. The design is so functional. I use my debit card 99% of the time. The back slot makes it so quick and simple. But if I need to I can just easily flip open the flap to access cash or another card. The leather and the fit and finish are impeccable….just beautiful buttery leather. This is hands down nicer than Bellroy. Anybody looking for a low profile wallet should check out Open Seas Leather.

Ok. This just after only a week of carry. This wallet (Topsider QuickDraw) is awesome. The design is so functional. I use my debit card 99% of the time. The back slot makes it so quick and simple. But if I need to I can just easily flip open the flap to access cash or another card. The leather and the fit and finish are impeccable….just beautiful buttery leather. This is hands down nicer than Bellroy. Anybody looking for a low profile wallet should check out Open Seas Leather.

So glad you like it! I agree 100%.

I switched to a front pocket wallet before we took a long international trip and wanted the security and peace of mind of not having to worry as much about potential pickpockets and used it as a reason to slim down the items in my wallet. I ended up carrying a recycled firefighter wallet for several years until the elastic wore out.

My wife bought me this Bellroy wallet a year or so ago. Though, admittedly more than I would want to spend on a wallet, it has been great. The "pinch to open" action was something I quickly got used to. I would definitely recommend it if anyone is in the market for something minimal but still wants some sort of closing mechanism so cards/money can't freely fall out.

I so want to like the Open Sea, but I've got 9 cards I need to carry and they get large for that amount of cards (as I'm a front pocket kind of guy). Sticking with my Ridge wallet for now. Elastic is going, but I have a warrantied new on in a box I'm going switch over to.

Back