Wanting to get into JNATS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinyunggyun

Banned
Reaction score
I want to try Japanese natural whetstones now, but have no clue where to start. Which vendors are reputable with JNATS? and which JNATS do you recommend? Finishing grit btw

I want to try Japanese natural whetstones now, but have no clue where to start. Which vendors are reputable with JNATS? and which JNATS do you recommend? Finishing grit btw
Honestly the more you read about jnats the more confused you're going to be. There's a shitload of bad and contradictory information out there. If you ever have any questions, feel free to message me, while I may not have all the answers, I can at least tell you what is and isn't likely bs.

Why do you want to try? History? Quality polishes? Edges? What uses are you looking for?, they all do different work.

If you have the money it's perfectly fine to just buy a few and see what you get. If you are looking for a gentle entry, honestly you should take naader up on their offer. Finding a knowledgeable person who can help you out and isnt trying to sell you something will make a positive difference.

If you want to split the difference, some vendors do provide descriptions that are usually accurate enough, but you're going to pay a premium for one of those stones. Im thinking of Strata, for example, who provide a lot of detail about what sharpening with some of their stones is like, or JNS, who tend to show pictures of the finish.

The way I look at it is that reputable vendors/brands don't necessarily have better stones, but they're more often than not tested and you know what you're paying for as mentioned above. Same goes for BST. There are good stones to be found anywhere though.

Tbh, many of the qualities are subjective and there can be so much variance for the same stone that it really helps to be a specific as possible about both your preferences and what you'll be sharpening to someone knowledgeable.

I just got a great stone from naader and will vouch for him as well.

Back