Watanabe 180mm Nakiri vs Toyama 210mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wat 180 grind - photos stolen from zahocho

1659857421910.png

Toyama 210

1659857468483.png

How does the Shig compare to the Wat? I had a Shig and I remember it was a bit wedgy, but it was many years ago so I might be wrong…
You're right, Shig feels wedgy coz of it's size and width - they're not somehow proportion to its thickness.
Watanabe and Denka Nakiri - I describe these as the heavyweight champoins for the line. Feels perfect, u have the right width, weight and height.

Wat 180 grind - photos stolen from zahocho

View attachment 192031

Toyama 210

View attachment 192032
Thank you for sharing. Looking at both the pics, I’m guessing the Toyama has less wedging, but the Watanabe has better food release.
Toyama and Wat nakiris have different grinds so I would buy both for comparison and then keep the Toyama 😁.
I would love to hear your thoughts on using both. Specifically around when each start to wedge, and the food release action on both.

Thank you for sharing. Looking at both the pics, I’m guessing the Toyama has less wedging, but the Watanabe has better food release.

I would love to hear your thoughts on using both. Specifically around when each start to wedge, and1 the food release action on both.
I had iron clad 180 Toyama(thicker grind than the SS versions they are selling now)and 165 Wat about two years ago. If my memory serves right, which isn't always the case and I've moved on from both of the knives, take my opinion as a grain of salt. Toyama had better overall food release and wedged a little more (Wat wedged more on taller food and release was a little better with narrow food if that makes sense). Toyama's geometry was more close to SS and iron clad gyutos(both Toyama and Wat) and Wat was more close to wide bevel. I liked the Toyama's weight which made it better option for me(obviously the SS version is much lighter and they don't make iron clad Toyamas no more). If you like nakiris, both will be good opinions and get the job done.

I had iron clad 180 Toyama(thicker grind than the SS versions they are selling now)and 165 Wat about two years ago. If my memory serves right, which isn't always the case and I've moved on from both of the knives, take my opinion as a grain of salt. Toyama had better overall food release and wedged a little more (Wat wedged more on taller food and release was a little better with narrow food if that makes sense). Toyama's geometry was more close to SS and iron clad gyutos(both Toyama and Wat) and Wat was more close to wide bevel. I liked the Toyama's weight which made it better option for me(obviously the SS version is much lighter and they don't make iron clad Toyamas no more). If you like nakiris, both will be good opinions and get the job done.
Interesting, I have a chance now to get a Toyama 210mm iron clad nakiri, seems too good to pass.

Last edited:
Interesting, I have a chance now to get a Toyama 210mm iron clad nakiri, seems too good to pass.
That is propably the only nakiri that I would like to try and change my mind of having one 😁.

Having been using the Toyama iron clad nakiri for the past 2 days, it was a quite fun experience. While at the first look the grind looks like Watoyama gyuto, a frontal shot reveal it was grounded quite uniquely. Unlike the Gyuto, the thickest part of the knife is not at the spine but rather in the middle, forming kind of Walkschliff grind, and that really contributes to the food release, it is the best food release knife I have, and the cutting feel is still very good. However it also contributes to some wedging, while the SS Wat gyuto would pass through a medium to large size carrot with little sound, the Toyama Nakiri would crack it. The wedging tho dose not affect its performance much, since its weight and very front heavy balance really helps it plow through food, I love tap chop garlic and other vegs with this thing, it slices some of the finest ginger slices I ever seen, and doing it even better than my CCK1303. I would love to compare it to a iron cladded Watoyama gyuto, I imagine it could be quite similar experience.
R0000774.JPG

Choil from back
R0000776.JPG
R0000779.JPG
Choil from front

Having been using the Toyama iron clad nakiri for the past 2 days, it was a quite fun experience. While at the first look the grind looks like Watoyama gyuto, a frontal shot reveal it was grounded quite uniquely. Unlike the Gyuto, the thickest part of the knife is not at the spine but rather in the middle, forming kind of Walkschliff grind, and that really contributes to the food release, it is the best food release knife I have, and the cutting feel is still very good. However it also contributes to some wedging, while the SS Wat gyuto would pass through a medium to large size carrot with little sound, the Toyama Nakiri would crack it. The wedging tho dose not affect its performance much, since its weight and very front heavy balance really helps it plow through food, I love tap chop garlic and other vegs with this thing, it slices some of the finest ginger slices I ever seen, and doing it even better than my CCK1303. I would love to compare it to a iron cladded Watoyama gyuto, I imagine it could be quite similar experience.
View attachment 196072
Choil from back
View attachment 196073View attachment 196074Choil from front
After reading ModRQC's review of the Wakui nakiri, it seems this is not a unique grind, but rather common on Nakiris, I vaguely remember my Ginga cleaver has similar girnd but not as obvious. Anyway it works rather well for the knife, lending it more strength at the front.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/comparative-review-three-small-sanjos.58714/

Back