Watanabe blade types

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the label of my Wat. Can some kind Toyama owners share the pic of their box labels?
955F7AAD-1E6C-46A4-B852-A7A89168E5CE.jpeg

Perhaps thats not bad as the blades are first rate and have excellent qualities. I also have three Watanabe KU blades; two nakiris and a 180 gyuto which are also excellent and they are made with blue steel. Perhaps I need to buy a honyaki with SC125 steel to get a Watanabe made knife? I'm really tempted and may do so shortly as the examples of the Watanabe iron clad KU knives seem to be excellent.
It’s not a bad thing at all. Many big names don’t make knives on their own and it doesn’t necessarily affect the quality of their products.

Just get the cheaper option.
Some do. Some don't. The majority don't care. The consistent thing is that they are held in high regard.
Exactly. I do believe it but I didn’t care and got a Wat anyway. I personally think the kanji of Wat looks a tad better than Toyama’s. ; )
Yup, just get the cheaper one, its the same with the kanji being the only difference.

Just get the cheaper option.

Yup, just get the cheaper one, its the same with the kanji being the only difference.

Cheaper was Epicurean Edge with the 10% KKF discount and free shipping. I saved over $100 buying from them on the 210 Watanabe and I wished that I also bought the last 240 Watanabe instead of buying the JNS Toyama which costs me over $100 USD more for the possible same knife.

I thought most people here believe Wat in blue 2 core is made by Toyama?

I have a friend who owns both 240 Wat and Toyama (blue 2 ss clad) and believes they are made by the same person. According to him, the item labels on the boxes of 2 knives, which says "blue 2 wa gyuto / 240" in kanji are clearly hand-written by the same person.
Allegedly.

In any case these knives are of excellent quality! I own a few and they my most liked knives! Also important to remember about Wat knives is the fact that they are almost always immediately available, which counts for a lot! This surely is not the case for many other knives...

I want a Wat Ku, that thing sounds like an axe, exactly what I want in my workhorse.

I used my Watanabe 180mm Nakiri Pro to slice cucumbers for a salad tonight on my Hasegawa cutting board - what a pleasure to cut thin consistent slices and have the great edge stay in perfect shape.

Last edited:
Back