Watanabe Price Increase

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemeneid

Wasabi wabi sabi
Reaction score
Saw this on his website, everything's going up 15% on 1st March, so better stock up first. Just wanted to let everyone know :(

Any other makers bumping up prices??

Im glad I don’t to business with this man. He can increase the prices by factor of 1000, and I would not care.

From what I’ve seen, thats on the lower side. Seen and heard 10 to 100 percent thus far on certain knives.

From what I’ve seen, thats on the lower side. Seen and heard 10 to 100 percent thus far on certain knives.

If the price goes up that much, I don't see anyone choosing a Watanabe over a Toyama, except for maybe the nakiri.

I no longer have any Wat blades. Never found them to my liking. All I know is 400 bucks for a Kasumi blade with a cheesy handle is going to drive people to other smiths.

Last edited:
Probably the wrong thread here, but I’m set to receive my first in Feb. so the handle is lousy?

I no longer have any Wat blades. Never found them to my liking. All I know is 500 bucks for a Kasumi blade with a cheesy handle is going to drive people to other smiths.

The 270mm gyuto with ho wood and buffalo horn (pretty standard but decent handle) is only $360 USD. I wouldn't consider this to be a bad deal by any stretch. Not even close.

The 270mm gyuto with ho wood and buffalo horn (pretty standard but decent handle) is only $360 USD. I wouldn't consider this to be a bad deal by any stretch. Not even close.

Whoops, I hit a 5 instead of a 4. Frozen fingers!

I purchased the Wat 180mm KU Pro Nakiri with the Saya and it's fantastic. I'm glad i got mine before the price increase. I also payed a little extra to get the buffalo horn instead of the plastic on the handle.

To play Devil's Advocate here:

Even with an increase, Watanabe will still represent excellent value -- just my opinion, of course. I have the ballyhooed Nakiri, which absolutely lives up to reputation, and then a special petty I grabbed.

Sure, we would all love to see prices never change, but, to be honest, the man has to make a living and provide for his.

I did the math for fun.

Current price of 180mm Nakiri in USD: About $211.
With increase: $242.

I mean, honestly, a top flight knife in its class for less than $250. Still a steal. Just sayin'

Probably the wrong thread here, but I’m set to receive my first in Feb. so the handle is lousy?

Handles are not his strong suit, at least in my limited experience. Honestly, you can probably get Jon to toss on something nice pretty easily if its a knife you covet.
My petty has a sort of scratchy ho wood that I just don't care enough to replace.

And I am definitely replacing the one that comes on the Nakiri, which has a plastic ferrule.

Really o no! maybe the same handles as on other J-knifes... This magnolia stuff with buffalo ferrule ???? I would never buy stuff like this :rolleyes: ....

Greets Sebastian.

The ho handles have buffalo and are fine. Nothing "nice," but acceptable. The pro series, unfortunately, comes standard with a decent wood, but plastic ferrule. . . sorta kills it.

To go against this total fancy price increase i ordered some Watanabe blanks, and let them grind by Xerxes, one got a handle by Moosschmiede (one of germans finest knife makers !) , Saya by austrias upcomming Star WundererAmEisen and Finish by Suntravel (a knifenut with golden hands on grinding machines!) .....

34966142sf.jpg

greets Sebastian.

To go against this total fancy price increase i ordered some Watanabe blanks, and let them grind by Xerxes, one got a handle by Moosschmiede (one of germans finest knife makers !) , Saya by austrias upcomming Star WundererAmEisen and Finish by Suntravel (a knifenut with golden hands on grinding machines!) .....
greets Sebastian.

YOOOOO! That looks great! Did you just contact him to order the blanks?

34966142sf.jpg

greets Sebastian.

Gorgeous!

This was just an idea for my community (german forum KMS) ... And if i say blanks i mean blanks... The blades i got from him where just heat treated... No Grind on them... And not cheap by any means but worth every cent if you like japanese steel, because Watanabe does the best HT in Japan for sure!

Even his standart line outclasses other Shirogami knives by miles.....

Greets Sebastian.

Back