Watanabe Pricing...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't seen it yet, Shinichi has posted that due to cost increases, starting in May, he's going to increase his prices by about 50%.

https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/news/price.htm
If there's something in stock you've been wanting, might be a good idea to get it now.

I have no doubt, this will start happening across the wider spectrum soon enough.

If you haven't seen it yet, Shinichi has posted that due to cost increases, starting in May, he's going to increase his prices by about 50%.

If there's something in stock you've been wanting, might be a good idea to get it now.

I have no doubt, this will start happening across the wider spectrum soon enough.
Or just buy a Toyama?

:dancingchicken:

Unless I'm missing something, Toyama is already about 50% more expensive, at least for the stainless clad gyuto...

Toyama is more expensive but you don’t have to deal with Watanabe handle tho.
True for the kurouchi models with the plastic bolster, but I didn't know that was an issue for the regular pro line. The d-shaped JNS handle on my Toyama didn't exactly blow me away either.

In any event, I already ordered a new Watanabe last week to beat the price rise. Perfect excuse to buy a knife I don't need.

True for the kurouchi models with the plastic bolster, but I didn't know that was an issue for the regular pro line. The d-shaped JNS handle on my Toyama didn't exactly blow me away either.

In any event, I already ordered a new Watanabe last week to beat the price rise. Perfect excuse to buy a knife I don't need.
I might be mistaken then, I remember seeing a lot of complaints about the handle on pro Nakiri.

Yeah the 180 pro nakiri is from the ku series I mentioned. The regular pro gyutos etc (i.e. the ones that look very much like Toyamas) are different.

Watanabe has the best kanji though.. I would pay extra for it, but not that much

The d-shaped JNS handle on my Toyama didn't exactly blow me away either.
I felt the same so I decided to swap it out with another. When I got it off I could see the tang curled and twisted 😂. It was a huge pain trying to get the new handle on and I basically had to grind the tang down to make it work

Yeah, the pro nakiri has a plastic hilt with a step. In use doesn't bother me though.
It's not great but in use not that bad BUT it makes the balance feel off a little imo.
Yeah, Toyama handles aren't great. Quite bulky and not super nice, fine at best.

I noticed this from another pretty popular site the otherday when knife shopping as well, forget the site, was visiting quite a few. But it was only about smaller knives price increase. Something along the lines of People think smaller knives are easier to make, but take just as long as big knives.

I noticed this from another pretty popular site the otherday when knife shopping as well, forget the site, was visiting quite a few. But it was only about smaller knives price increase. Something along the lines of People think smaller knives are easier to make, but take just as long as big knives.
It was Hitohira. I remember reading about that last year.

Demand is way up too, so there is an element profiteering too.

Just go to a J Knife site … everything is “sold out”. Scarcity / demand drives prices at least as much as costs of production.

Just go to a J Knife site … everything is “sold out”. Scarcity / demand drives prices at least as much as costs of production.

I've seen zero evidence of profiteering. In fact, I don't know how one can employ "profiteering" on luxury goods.

That's a broad brush.

Luckily I'm not hunting any knives of Watanabe, just wondering Heiji will increase the price in near future? If so I'm lucky I got my Heiji SS Suji 300mm before increased, I heard from Japan vendor every year around April the price increase.

You know, there's a huge backup at the ports. Some (definitely not all the out of stock ones though) of those knives are probably sitting in some shipping container at the port.

You know, there's a huge backup at the ports. Some (definitely not all the out of stock ones though) of those knives are probably sitting in some shipping container at the port.

True, but I was reading that many / most knives are shipped by air, so LA docks may be more of an excuse than a reason.

I've seen zero evidence of profiteering. In fact, I don't know how one can employ "profiteering" on luxury goods.

That's a broad brush.

Probably a poor choice of wording. But demand has shot up, it is only natural that prices would follow.

Remember, Many of these makers often ahare they have been knife makers for “generations and generations.”

We love that, as it implies craftsmanship and tradition.

But the other side of that statement is they have been businessmen and stayed in business for generations & generations.

They know how to work a rising or falling market as well as they know how to make knives.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It is the “business” side of the situation.

Probably a poor choice of wording. But demand has shot up, it is only natural that prices would follow.

Remember, Many of these makers often ahare they have been knife makers for “generations and generations.”

We love that, as it implies craftsmanship and tradition.

But the other side of that statement is they have been businessmen and stayed in business for generations & generations.

They know how to work a rising or falling market as well as they know how to make knives.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It is the “business” side of the situation.

I work in manufacturing. Our material, shipping and services costs have risen significantly in the last year.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

I work in manufacturing. Our material, shipping and services costs have risen significantly in the last year.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with you, but demand for J-Knives has skyrocketed as well. I’m sure that has had an impact on prices too.

If it was just materials cost there would not be the supply shortages we are seeing across the board.

I’m sure it is not a single factor, and I am no way being critical of price increases driven by demand.

The US created Fed. Reserve 'debt' created out of thin air also decreases the value of the US dollar.

I don't blame a skilled maker making hand created products charging what they consider is needed to keep their business running. That includes affording additional machinery so they can remain competitive and more precise.

I've been there, done that. $20k to $200k per machine was normal 'back then.' We never borrowed money. Anything we bought came out of our own capital.

Back