Watanabe - where to buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Advice to people who want to buy from him .
Be sure there are no delamination even small one and in that case just return the knife immediately

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-111736.png
    Screenshot_20210617-111736.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 186
Anyway I’m my opinion, the “special knives” are mostly garbage. Weird profiles, steels, handles, grinds, etc and all exorbitantly priced. Don’t buy from the specials as it just seems those are knives Watanabe made to give the middle finger to collectors. Only nice knife I saw there was that 250mm honyaki in 125sc.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Preizzo. I would have hoped that he would be a little more forthcoming. It is a second hand knife, but still, this is a major issue, not a 'beauty error'.

The return policy on his site rather changed.

Partial copy and paste:
-------
Now

https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/info/
Our Return Policy
No matter that you used or not, we will exchange a inferior merchandise within 15 days. The 15 days are from when you received the item in new.
If the product has any problem or major error, we never have the guarantee beyond the 15 days. We will not accept any complaint or request for refund.
-----------

https://web.archive.org/web/20190305003048/http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/info/
Our Return Policy
No matter that you used or not, we will exchange a inferior merchandise within 20 days.
While defects in the products we sell are rare, if you do have a problem due to a manufacturing defect, we will gladly replace the item at any time.

-------

Outrageous

We got to order a Toyama instead. Now I know.

How is the Watanabe Professional line doing though?

Apparently Shinichi just doesn't give a ****
Wow, yeah that’s pretty terrible.

I understand having a strict return policy - I’ve had a lot of people try and return things at my shop that were their own stupidity. But if it’s our fault we always do our best to correct the issue.

There should be some recourse for a manufacturing defect like this case.

I've probably seen a knife posted here every month this year from his specials that is:
1. is fubar with lamination / grind / not straight OR
2. is listed WTS because it cuts like a meat cleaver OR
3. has been thinned for hours so it cuts well
Deal with that considering his prices, communication, and refusal to make problems right?

I really hate reading the last few posts. I’m visiting family in NYC and I was seriously considering a trip to MTC. I guess I will keep the $440 that I was planning to spend there.

I really hate reading the last few posts. I’m visiting family in NYC and I was seriously considering a trip to MTC. I guess I will keep the $440 that I was planning to spend there.
Bear in mind that while his "specials" and customer service are getting lambasted, the professional line is still a well-regarded line of knives.

MTC also does their own QC and has their own return/refund policies which are different from Watanabe's. You can probably buy from MTC with more peace of mind.

I’m horrified at Matteo’s experience.

That said, I’m a big fan of MTC, have 2 older Wats that I love. If you’re in NYC, by all means visit MTC, you can inspect the knife yourself.

I got my Wat stainless clad blue 2 from MTC and I really love it. The grind I love. The steel I love love. The price is lower than a Denka, a Kato or a wide bevel Y Tanaka with blue steel, and for my use I rank this blue 2 steel over Kato WH steel and Y Tanaka blue steel.

At least if you can stop by the store and inspect the knife in person you know what you're getting in to. Significantly different level of risk from just ordering online and hoping you don't get a dud. Quite a shame people had somewhat of a Watasabi experience lately. I always had them in my head as a bit of a 'safe bet' (regardless of who actually makes the knives).

Well, the specials' section looks like a quite a mixed collection of one-off knives that ware made likely by a variety of makers (very different shapes, grinds, finishes, steels, etc.), so it is hard to assign some quality measure to them via user experience. But I am yet to hear any complains about his Pro or Standard knives. The negative experience shared here was maybe 2 or 3 of his special knives, so I would not scratch him off a list of good vendors just yet.

I personally wouldn't buy an MTC Watanabe simply because I don't want to buy anything that puts money in his pocket. I'm sure they're great knives, but I'd buy a JNS Toyama instead.

I'm happy with my Wats, though the last one was bought in 2014. Matteo's experience does leave a sour taste for me.

You should definitely go. The showroom is well worth visiting.
And I think you will see no one has any real complaints about the “Pro” line aka Watoyayabnabe or whatever.

edit: I see I’m like the 5th to post this sentiment
:rolleyes:Never was the quickest draw

The negative experience shared here was maybe 2 or 3 of his special knives, so I would not scratch him off a list of good vendors just yet.
Personally, I am pretty shocked with the change in return policy.

To me, 'good vendor' equates service and quality control. The current return policy implies very little service.

(I actually own 3 specials (out of 5 Wats), and I am pleased with them.)

He probably got tired of people complaining about measurements and variations that are very common and expected with hand made knives. As more people last year got into these knives, many of them lacked experience or knowledge of these. They just came on different forums, saw what was good and bought knives without understanding what they were buying. Still sucks and specials page knives are definitely suspect.

I wish in this case he stood behind his product as it is clearly a manufacturing issue and it would be nice of him to do something for Matteo.

Last edited:
As one can see above the contact was already established. May I ask where you have that email address from?
Have been corresponding with him for months on this address.
Like some others, I have had only good experiences w Shinichi n he has been very communicative.

I believe it’s this Japanese local vendor. I placed an order for the 240 dammy through Zenmarket (forwarding service). Paid 53,523 yen to zenmarket before shipping fee to US. Let’s see how it goes.
鋭い切れ味!美しい波紋!三条手打ち鍛造鍛冶職人 外山作 臥龍 積層 青紙二号  和牛刀 水牛桂鎬柄

Curious about the fee/shipping costs. 360 USD for a 240mm SS clad there. I assume once you add fees and whatnot it comes out similar to MTC, but that damascus is not a bad price.

Back