Watanabe - where to buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is probably already been said but it looks like AZCK has literally dozens of them for sale

The 240mm is much cheaper than MTC, but interestingly they had it listed previously for more, but this one has a machi gap. Wonder if it's different or if Watoyama just has a machi gap sometimes.
Yeah, the 240 with the machi gap looks kind of curious. They list it at 8.75 inches, so it’s like 223 mm and the picture of the left side towards the tip kind of looks like an ura like it’s a single bevel knife. And they list the weight at 12oz when these usually weigh around 8oz, so if the specs are correct, I don’t think it’s a standard Wat Pro. The 240 with the Honduran rosewood handle looks great though.

The 240mm is much cheaper than MTC, but interestingly they had it listed previously for more, but this one has a machi gap. Wonder if it's different or if Watoyama just has a machi gap sometimes.
AZCK mixed up the photos of the gyuto and mioroshi deba. If you look at the mioroshi deba listing you can see it’s a gyuto photo and vice versa.

AZCK mixed up the photos of the gyuto and mioroshi deba. If you look at the mioroshi deba listing you can see it’s a gyuto photo and vice versa.
Yeah, I see now. If the prices are correct, then that’s a great deal for a 240. Also the price on the 300 mm gyuto looks great. I wish I had a use for one.

Yeah, I see now. If the prices are correct, then that’s a great deal for a 240. Also the price on the 300 mm gyuto looks great. I wish I had a use for one.
I think actually they swapped the names. Based on the specs listed, it seems the 240 should be $475, and the deba is $375

The 240mm gyuto with the ebony handle sold for 375 though hmm. It looks like they've sold some in the past, each at different prices. I see a 210mm sold for 325 and 375. And a 240mm sold for 415 in addition to the ebony at 375. It's usually a 100+ upgrade.

Digging around looking at Toyamas, the machi gap is consistent with the pics/listings being swapped. Single bevel Toyamas have machi with gap, no machi on double bevels. It kind of looks like they just messed up the names, the gyuto listing says chisel grind (single bevel).

Last edited:
AZCK stock is mostly consignment, and though they recommend prices to the consigner, it is up to the individual to set the price depending on how fast they wish to sell.

I liked my old iron clad Watanabe. Some years
ago made a African Blackwood & Spalted Hawaiian signature wood ferrel. Oval comfortable in hand reddish tan streaking in the Blackwood.

Love the grind on this old Wat. Very assem.

Have a Watanabe fish Deba too. Bought a dedicated fish steamer. It has rack, large oval dish with elevated edges. Even special tongs to
Lift dish out of steamer. Get fresh fish from
Chinatown. They get it from morning fish auction.

With fish steam broccoli, mushrooms, cherry tomato. Near finish add very thin matchstick cuts of fresh ginger, slivers of green onion, & cilantro on top fish. Add some citrus ponzu steam couple minutes more than pour hot oil on platter combo of peanut & sesame oils.
The fish will crackle when hot oil hits it
Serve with rice. My better half likes when I steam fish chinese style
IMG_20210713_132758122.jpg
IMG_20210713_133359022.jpg
IMG_20210713_133925512.jpg

ago made a African Blackwood & Spalted Hawaiian signature wood ferrel. Oval comfortable in hand reddish tan streaking in the Blackwood.

Have a Watanabe fish Deba too. Bought a dedicated fish steamer. It has rack, large oval dish with elevated edges. Even special tongs to

With fish steam broccoli, mushrooms, cherry tomato. Near finish add very thin matchstick cuts of fresh ginger, slivers of green onion, & cilantro on top fish. Add some citrus ponzu steam couple minutes more than pour hot oil on platter combo of peanut & sesame oils.
Serve with rice. My better half likes when I steam fish chinese style View attachment 134372View attachment 134373View attachment 134374
Man you need the seasoned soy sauce for seafood to complete the recipe.

Sounds yummy but ponzu ain’t Chinese…
We finish with some combination of soy, sesame oil, scallions and/or cilantro
Soy sauce, sugar, white pepper, hot oil and as much ginger, scallion and cilantro as you can physically cram onto the dish. Mmmm

Yes there are different versions of Chinese style
steamed fish. I had to cut out sugar don't miss
It. Fresh ginger & soy sauce go good with diff.
fish dishes. We grow green onion & cilantro use them both. Broccoli & cherry tomato not used
traditionally but I like it.

Chinese guy at work used peanut sesame oil
mix for hot pour over.

Get ponzu on sale citrus flavor soy sauce, vinegar, bonito, lemon juice, yeast extract.

It's Japanese, but works with steam fish.

Yea cherry tomato and ponzu sound reasonable. It just reminds me of lemon juice or vinegar and feels fusion-like. When I eat steamed fish, I always pour some soup (the mixture of the seasoned soy sauce, fish juice and oil) on the rice. The rice with that soup is so delicious that I weigh it as important as the quality of fish. Not saying you can't make it sourer though.

Was able to bring blood sugar back to normal
Not starving at all just changed way of eating.

We both lost a lot of weight, I got so skinny just cutting out sugar & processed foods. It was hard at first love potato chips. Eaten seafood all my life. No way give up fish, crab, shrimp, oysters, just don't use sauces with lots of sugar in them. Chinese & Japanese add sugar to sauces, but nothing compared to Americans
High fructose corn syrup is cheaper than cane
sugar & even worse for your health they put it in everything. It's why type 2 diabetes & obesity is a major health concern in USA. People are addicted to sugar.

It is amazing how many healthy foods taste good. Fresh ground cinnamon can be used instead of sugar & is very healthy. Make curries from scratch. Ginger & garlic, lemongrass, basil tumeric, chili peppers. Anything fresh spices, vegetables & fruits. Natural sugar fructose in whole unprocessed fruit.

OK sorry stop preaching. I love food got older
had to change.

Alright, I will attempt to prepare some fish this way. Thanks for the inspiration. (We have to increase the amount of fish we eat, so I am on the lookout for nice recipes.)
Will prepare with a Wat ;)

Serve with rice. My better half likes when I steam fish chinese style View attachment 134372View attachment 134373View attachment 134374

What size is this? How much does it weigh?

Older more beefy Wat.
216mm heel to tip
50mm high at heel
7.33 oz

The handle has more weight than stock.

Yea cherry tomato and ponzu sound reasonable. It just reminds me of lemon juice or vinegar and feels fusion-like. When I eat steamed fish, I always pour some soup (the mixture of the seasoned soy sauce, fish juice and oil) on the rice. The rice with that soup is so delicious that I weigh it as important as the quality of fish. Not saying you can't make it sourer though.

I hear you white pepper & sweeten soy sauce for steam fish is tasty. Steaming, not over cooking fish so it is moist not dry full of flavor
that is good on rice.

I just found this thread and thought it pertinent to pass along some information shared with me by the staff last time I was at MTC. They told me once the stainless clad Wats sell out, they will not be receiving any more. This is apparently a decision made by Mr. Watanabe

Back