Water Circulator custard for Pu-erh Tea Ice Cream

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDPslice

Reaction score
Hey guys, TLDR: what temperature is good to bath the custard, i was thinking 60-63

The reason I am doing low temp is because I want to infuse the cream with this specific type of tea.

Problem 1: I don't have cream but I do have a really high fat milk (min 3% fat)

Problem 2: This milk is raw! Completely! oh baby, sweet deliciousness, very yellow but very susceptible to microbial growth.

Problems 3: Pu-erh is Extremely microbial! I should probably pasteurize the milk but I don't want to at all because the milk is very clean and well processed. I really feel like I sound like a consumer when I say this, but I've drank it and I haven't turned into anything. yet.

Problem 4: How long to cook the custard in the bath? Google says @145 should be 30 minutes to pasteurize the milk, so at @63 maybe 20 minutes to pasteurize and slightly cook yokes? Pu-erh is still stuck in the whole mystical magic mojo jojo so an accurate reading of the flora really isn't possible without some tech.

Problem 5: is the fat content high enough?

Instead of emulsifying the sugar with the yokes I was going to incorporate the sugar/honey right before i put it in the ice cream machine

Any flaws pointed out, snorts, 'torts, or drunken incoherent ramblings welcomed. And if you must suggest something helpful, I would also appreciate that.

Also I'm cold infusing the tea. After a rinse and 2 steepings, i put the leaves in a jar of cold milk to sit in the fridge over a night or two. I did not dilute the milk with the first two steepings. 11grams of tea in 2 cups milk.

Definitely not enough fat. You'll end up with something more akin to a sorbet with just milk. I suggest you check out a blog called ice cream science.

Basic vanilla ice cream base.

Milk 2 liters
Cream at 35% 700 grams
bourbon vanilla beans 5
sugar 560 grams
atomized glucose 140 grams
non fat milk powder 200 grams
ice cream stabilizer 12 grams
egg yolks 360 grams

Blend all ingredients with immersion blender then vacuum seal in a bag.

Set water bath for 185 degrees fahrenheit. Drop the bag in the water and immediately change the temperature to 179.6 degrees. Cook for 30 minutes. Chill in an ice bath. Once cool, strain through a chinois then blend with immersion blender to further release the flavor of the vanilla beans. Let base mature for 4 hours in the fridge then churn in your ice cream maker or freeze in pacojet containers to be spun the next day.

i wish i had a pacojet container, Im Jerry-rigging my stand mixer by putting it in a large/not too large Styrofoam box and dumping ice all around it. I might actually make a batch of frozen yogurt, but 30 minutes at 180 is going to destroy my tea and the raw milk.

Theory, i'll definitely copy your recipe though :), what are you using as your stabilizer..a blend or do you go strait

Custard sets at 77-81 C (180F) - that is mostly function of egg yolks. At that point anything alive there is dead. Spores may remain, so keep chilled of course, once it is prepared. By coincidence that is also the temperature of pasteurization for milk (not UHT which is autoclave temperatures, as long as you consider UHT milk).

So you will lose some of your raw milk benefits - the nature of the beast. I have to check the temp/die curve but I am almost sure that by whatever time/temp combo you have coagulated the yolks - the base will be pasteurized.

first round came out ok, will post pics later

2nd attempt in a week or so, I need a new Styrofoam box that is large enough to hold my stand mixer

revisions: I'm going to steep the tea outside of the milk until the leaves are giving a proper profile of flavor that I want, then I'll infuse it into the custard as it's chilling in the fridge. And strain it out before I put into my kitchen aid "frankenstein icecream" mixer

Overall the flavor wasn't as complex as I am used to getting from the tea, but that was because I thought the low temp pasteurization would have cooked the tea further but the bath temp was too low for that and ended up not tasting to it's potential. Although the flavor I pulled out was a very unique characteristic of the tea but it was only that particular one.

Pasteurizing raw milk (60*C for 30 minutes) and was good enough to cook the yokes as well. My initial thought was that flavor of the milk was going to be drastically reduced but in my 'just milk' sample/control the milk was still very good, it just lacked that "im a cow that eats only grass" kind of flavor, but still was very viscous and creamy.

Back