weird shinogi line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
Just got this masakage yuki and the shinogi line is pretty much not straight at all ! Would you guys send it back or is that gonna be fixed easily and rapidly at the first thinning session ? The other side is perfect but on this side, it's off by about 3/16"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 7.39.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 7.39.15 PM.png
    553.2 KB · Views: 207
Hmm... I would try to change it, if it is possible without losing money. But the idea to fix it seems to be good as well - you can try to do it and gain precious experience.

Does it impact the angle of the blade road? I'm thinking that it might effectively give you a taper.

not sure I undesrtand
If you lay the knife flat against something can you tell if the angle of the edge to shinogi is the same at the heel on both sides vs the tip on both sides? My theory is that the lowered shinogi on the right side will lead to a wider angle there.

Looks fine. Some shinogi are crisp and straight, some aren't. Depends on the maker/grind style.
(If it was a single-bevel, it'd be an issue, as the expectation is a clean shinogi.)

I agree this looks angled more so than crooked. I’m under the impression most shinogi run parallel to the edge or spine, with some exceptions.

Nakiri and Yukis are not part of the exceptions afaik. That being said (unless the bevels are way out of whack) it might not make a huge impact on performance. The angle is pointed in the right direction for a thinner tip and thicker heel which is much better than the other way around. I can’t say whether that’s actually the case or not but looks like it.

If it bothers you, I say contact the seller. If it doesn’t, use and thin as usual, although it may take a bit of extra care to get the angle corrected with the concave bevels.

not all knives are going to have straight shinogi lines, and this is a type of knife that I would not be expecting that on. What you are seeing here is typical and expected. Absolutely nothing wrong with that knife with respect to the shinogi line.

Just got this masakage yuki and the shinogi line is pretty much not straight at all ! Would you guys send it back or is that gonna be fixed easily and rapidly at the first thinning session ? The other side is perfect but on this side, it's off by about 3/16"
Cute knife - the wobbly shinogi gives a quirky look.

@JBroida
Please take another look, This time focus not on the lines straightness, but how low it is from the edge to the line on the left, and how much higher it is on the right. I have not seen anything ever close to that except perhaps an early Davou.

@JBroida
Please take another look, This time focus not on the lines straightness, but how low it is from the edge to the line on the left, and how much higher it is on the right. I have not seen anything ever close to that except perhaps an early Davou.

If it bothers you, return it and ask if they have a different one, although you may have to pay a fee. The fact that the shinogi isn't parallel to the edge means that either:

1) the sharpening angle of the blade road is bigger near the heel than at the tip, or
2) the blade is thinner above the shinogi near the heel than it is above the shinogi at the tip.

It won't be a problem in use or in sharpening, but if the aesthetics really bother you, send it back. It's not going to be easy to straighten it out and have it look perfect.

Edit: err, I guess I should be responding to @matc. Also, maybe I should say that in general, wobbles or "imperfections" in a shinogi line are more likely to be due to variation in the geometry of the knife above the shinogi than below the shinogi.

Last edited:
Looks like it's ground thinner towards the front - you can see the cladding line also getting a bit higher. Most likely there's more convexity on the right side while the left side probably relatively flat, hence why the right side would rise up while the left side is level.

@JBroida
no... i saw that. Still not abnormal. I've seen so many knives like this. There's nothing wrong with the knife. Seriously. I've got no stake in this... i didn't sell it.. its not from me... I'm not vouching for anyone here... I'm just giving you guys a fair idea of what is normal and what to expect. There's nothing that will be negatively impacted due to this on the knife. Retailers might take it back as a return to simply not have to deal with a complaint or negative review, but the maker would look at you like you were a crazy person if you told them this was a problem.

@JBroida

More common than you think.

Gyuto1.jpg

I say I'd really like to see the other face of the blade. Shinogi getting more elevated towards the tip is a common "good practice" with knives with tips indeed, but the same basic idea applies to a Nakiri still. In fact a Wakui 180mm I had was pretty much like that but from the Migaki finish wouldn’t show the blade road much like yours does. Now if it's really happening on only one side, it sure ain't a sign of perfection nor so common, but still not a cause to call it faulty.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back