West Coast Gathering! Location input requested

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedtran

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been chatting with a couple people and we are generally interested in having another WCG. Was looking to get some input on where people would like to have it/be able to make it out to.

Would people be more interested in something in the Bay Area/Napa or the Portland/Washington area?

Cheers,
Michael

I'm in Portland, but am from the bay so either would work for me. You're probably more likely to get more maker to come through if it's in the NW

If Portland is selected one suggestion would be to all go and crash Ian's place. We could cook some (sous vide) short ribs / steaks in his forge (>2000 degrees is perfect for a nice 5 second 'sear') and then, since we are all his "guests" and I know he is the generous type I don't think it would be too much to expect that he could make everyone "invited" a personalized set of custom damascus Haburn knives while we hang out eating & drinking him out of house & home ... I would even bring a small bottle of hot sauce because I'm just that sort of generous kinda guy! We probably should keep this a secret though since Ian loves surprises!!! ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

If Portland is selected one suggestion would be to all go and crash Ian's place. We could cook some (sous vide) short ribs / steaks in his forge (>2000 degrees is perfect for a nice 5 second 'sear') and then, since we are all his "guests" and I know he is the generous type I don't think it would be too much to expect that he could make everyone "invited" a personalized set of custom damascus Haburn knives while we hang out eating & drinking him out of house & home ... I would even bring a small bottle of hot sauce because I'm just that sort of generous kinda guy! We probably should keep this a secret though since Ian loves surprises!!! ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

Don't forget the bourbons. :knife: :shots::shots:

San Francisco or Oakland would be wonderful.

Hey Michael - saw this get some attention / any thoughts on this again? Hope this finds you well ...
Hi Everyone,

I've been chatting with a couple people and we are generally interested in having another WCG. Was looking to get some input on where people would like to have it/be able to make it out to.

Would people be more interested in something in the Bay Area/Napa or the Portland/Washington area?

Cheers,
Michael

Perhaps we split up the get togethers into Oregon and Northern California get togethers?

I know there are a couple people here who live in San Francisco. Even 4-5 people could be a fun hangout. I just want to try some top grade razor and knife whetstones and have some brews.

With ECG in full flight today, digging up this thread to see if theres any WCG in the works?

Holy crap, I did not even look at the 2017 date on the prior responses. If anything gets going, remember that SD or So Cal in general has quite a showing.

Good to bring it back up again. Someone poke MontezumaBoy -- he really want to have one in the PNW area, just needs a venue. Poke. Poke. :p

Last WCG in the northwest I remember reading about on KKF had Bob Kramer stroll in and hang out for a bit. I think they had a pretty big turn-out, too. The Wisconsin-area people had a pretty wild one once; pretty sure they drank way, way more than we did yesterday (and that was a bit!) with a few less people. They are hearty stock up there :cool:

Long and short of it is someone volunteer a venue, start with a handful of people, some food, and have an enjoyable day. Bring forum members together who live in the same region but have never met. There's such a wide variety of experiences on this forum there are always interesting stories to hear and friendships to be, uh, well, forged (sorry about that...).

Last WCG in the northwest I remember reading about on KKF had Bob Kramer stroll in and hang out for a bit. I think they had a pretty big turn-out, too. The Wisconsin-area people had a pretty wild one once; pretty sure they drank way, way more than we did yesterday (and that was a bit!) with a few less people. They are hearty stock up there :cool:

Long and short of it is someone volunteer a venue, start with a handful of people, some food, and have an enjoyable day. Bring forum members together who live in the same region but have never met. There's such a wide variety of experiences on this forum there are always interesting stories to hear and friendships to be, uh, well, forged (sorry about that...).
@JBroida maybe? Definitely not in my shoebox apartment 😂😭

I think the last gathering was when my buddy borrowed my car and got a flat tire.....unfortunately true. Other than Tom, I have never met forum members.

Times have really changed since this thread started back in 2017. I would suggest it not be in Portland proper. One of suburbs close by might work or out by the airport maybe. Portland has been too much of a war zone lately.

If you guys meet up at Bladeshow West in Saltlake City in 5 weeks, i'd join u guys! :D

I guess first things first, is anyone able to host a small amount of people for an evening and are you reasonably close to camping and/or hotels?

If anyone wants to go way out of the way to Whidbey Island, I’m sure I could rent out one of the community halls for an evening depending on the amount of people, but unfortunately, there isn’t much in the way of housing.

Another option could be an Airbnb; we have several large ones out here that are reasonably priced during the off-season.

Latest posts

Back