Western handle, Tall at Heel, and Distal Taper? Recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided this is something I'd like to try: a Western (Yo) handled, gyuto/chef's knife with a mid fifties (and over) heel height, and good distal taper, 230mm +.
Other than Wa handled knives, I have only Wusthof Classics, but would prefer a harder steel, and thinner grind. Bolster and no neck preferred, but not deal breakers.
Does anything fit that bill? I'm happy to buy it used.
I had a smaller Murata I really liked, but gave to a friend. The only Ryusen Blazen I can currently find is a 300mm one at JKI, and that may be a bit much even for me.

Following. Curious what there is also.

I heard that the Ryusen Blazen line has been discontinued. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

I looked around for such a blade with the additonal requirement of an integral bolster (welded or real) and couldn't find much above 52mm that interested me. There is the Fuji Narihara which is 55mm but overall really thick BTE.

Does it have to be Japanese made? Dalman, Kipp, Tansu, …
No, not at all. I just can't recall ever seeing those makers use a bolster. I do recall integrals made by them, which I like but am usually unwilling to pay the premium for. That and I've never been fast enough to snag a Kippington, or Tansu regardless of handle type.
I'd prefer a good, but not overly fancy knife in the $300-600 range. (I hadn't specified that).
I found myself repeatedly considering the black-dammy Yoshikane that sold on BST recently, but have been trying to hold out for something taller.
I realize TF makes western handled knives, but spending that much, hoping for a good blade, all while knowing you'll still have to splurge for a decent custom handle is also too much. I know I would be troubled every time I saw their shoddy handle otherwise. I just can't fathom why they consistently put in seemingly so little effort on what can otherwise be a superlative knife.
I guess I'm pickier than I thought.
I'm fortunate to already have what I feel is an abundance of knives, this is just where my tastes have led me I suppose.

Western handle, integral bolster, tall and significant distal taper is actually not that common outside of some custom western makers. @HSC /// Knives, Tony LaSeur, Newham could probably make you one or that Antzenberger posted today was close even though 60 tall. Knowing the budget would help.

I've been eyeing the Boten Unryu at Epic Edge as well. They're not quite tall enough and I just have what may well be an irrational dislike for VG-10. May have to get over that. They seem to fit the bill otherwise, and are certainly well priced.
I may consider a custom, I just wanted to see if I couldn't scratch the itch with something already out there.
I certainly do like both Harbeer's, and @Illyria 's work, haven't seen their integrals before.
Also haven't ever been fast enough for a Laseur either.

I've been eyeing the Boten Unryu at Epic Edge as well. They're not quite tall enough and I just have what may well be an irrational dislike for VG-10. May have to get over that. They seem to fit the bill otherwise, and are certainly well priced.
I may consider a custom, I just wanted to see if I couldn't scratch the itch with something already out there.
I certainly do like both Harbeer's, and @Illyria 's work, haven't seen their integrals before.
Ryusen is known to do VG-10 well. Takamura also.

Harbeer of course has a great rep, but I don't have anything from him but have worked with Ryan (@Illyria). My experience was very positive and he makes a really nice knife.

He’s not making much in large formats nowadays but Dan Pendergast fits the bill. Can see if he’s up for it? Radiona Breg, AG Klint, and maybe Merion Forge would be other ones I’d look into

Can vouch for Merion Forge as well. Just received this custom with western handle. Height is 57 mm and with nice distal taper. Very reasonable priced and short delivery time.
PXL_20230327_083913271.jpg
PXL_20230327_083956185.jpg

No, not at all. I just can't recall ever seeing those makers use a bolster. I do recall integrals made by them, which I like but am usually unwilling to pay the premium for. That and I've never been fast enough to snag a Kippington, or Tansu regardless of handle type.

A bolster that’s not an integral - so something welded on? Do any (popular) Western makers do that? Or am I mixing up the terminology?

He’s not making much in large formats nowadays but Dan Pendergast fits the bill. Can see if he’s up for it?

His new production is very different than what he sort of made his name for... I miss his beautifully tapered, french-patterned, integral bolstered chef's. These days he seems to primarily be making really short (Rarely longer than 4-6"), really thick santoku-y knives with very little taper, and a lot of belly. I find the change in his designs a bit puzzling, to say the least... Last time I contacted him, he said that he wasn't taking custom orders, and to just keep checking his storefront for new releases... That was pre-COVID, mind, so might be worth checking again. :confused:

A bolster that’s not an integral - so something welded on? Do any (popular) Western makers do that? Or am I mixing up the terminology?
Integral usually means it was forged in so part of the rest of the blade/tang. This is usually only done when forging even though technically it could be done grinding/machining, but sounds like a huge pain and a waste of steel since you would have to start with a really thick stock.

Any other metal bolsters are welded on, soldered on, hidden pin attached, epoxied, etc. LaSeur, Tansu, Newham, Marko, and others have all done these. OP said bolster is not a deal breaker anyway, so not concentrating on it opens up more options.

The bolster, integral or welded, like what the Takamura or ZKramer have actually makes the grip more comfortable and firm for me at least. Otherwise I really don't see the point of the western handle when pinch-gripping. The only other benefit I can think of is balance but wa handles can be swapped out for heavier or larger versions.

His new production is very different than what he sort of made his name for... I miss his beautifully tapered, french-patterned, integral bolstered chef's. These days he seems to primarily be making really short (Rarely longer than 4-6"), really thick santoku-y knives with very little taper, and a lot of belly. I find the change in his designs a bit puzzling, to say the least... Last time I contacted him, he said that he wasn't taking custom orders, and to just keep checking his storefront for new releases... That was pre-COVID, mind, so might be worth checking again. :confused:
From his EU passaround, years ago, I remember Prendergast's as a very strong distal taper, very thin tip, beefy heel section, great food release. Slightly forward balance. The idea of the very best European knives, with the harder steel and no fingerguard. Very comfortable.

Back