Western Knife Re-handle suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Folks,

I am looking to re-handle the knife on the right in this picture and I just don't think my handle making skills are quite up to the task. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good maker they've worked with for a western re-handle like this? I should note, it's not full tang like the ironwood western Tanaka's.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20170416_181324111.jpg
    IMG_20170416_181324111.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 106
Since it's partial tang, it'd be a good candidate for a stacked handle (the three-piece kind with two slabs and a middle section). @HSC /// Knives does nice work with this style of handle, though I have no idea if he does re-handling work. Or could be a cool candidate for conversion to a wa handle and add one pin for stability (I think it was the old suisins that had something similar?--I'll try to dig up a pick). Here, maybe reach out to @JoBone and @Bensbites.

Edit: Something like this that Dave did but just move the pin up accordingly to go through the tang and secure the handle:
1611007535281.png

Edit: Here's a Tadastuna Wa:
1611007860292.png

Last edited:
Sounds like you are a handle maker. You should go for it yourself first. Like Noah said it’s a partial tang so a three layer handle will be the easiest way to do it. Try nocking off the current handle and a plan of attack should be clear. I doubt you’d screw it up beyond repair and then you’d be in no different position than you are now sending it out to a professional. Push yourself! I believe in you!

Knock that handle off and see what you're working with first. You could modify the tang if the rivets aren't drilled out too wide to be a machi style wa tang and then fit on a wa handle per normal. If you wanted western I would still do it similarly but a hidden western tang, depending on if it looks like it'll work once that handle is off.

I converted mine to a wa handle. Top of the tang is flush with the blade; bottom portion has a shoulder. I'd see what Dave could do; that being said, I think it'll be a fun learning experience; additionally, it's not a super expensive blade.

Since it's partial tang, it'd be a good candidate for a stacked handle (the three-piece kind with two slabs and a middle section). @HSC /// Knives does nice work with this style of handle, though I have no idea if he does re-handling work. Or could be a cool candidate for conversion to a wa handle and add one pin for stability (I think it was the old suisins that had something similar?--I'll try to dig up a pick). Here, maybe reach out to @JoBone and @Bensbites.

Edit: Something like this that Dave did but just move the pin up accordingly to go through the tang and secure the handle:
View attachment 110529
Edit: Here's a Tadastuna Wa:
View attachment 110536
I already have a wa handled Tanaka R2 with an Isaiah Schroeder handle (originally having trouble finding someone to do this handle is what led me to try making my own on a vg-10 Tanaka), otherwise I'd love something like the Martell handle. I like the idea of the stacked handle! I might have to try that on something out of my box of old American carbon antique fair finds. Thank you for the suggestions!

Sounds like you are a handle maker. You should go for it yourself first. Like Noah said it’s a partial tang so a three layer handle will be the easiest way to do it. Try nocking off the current handle and a plan of attack should be clear. I doubt you’d screw it up beyond repair and then you’d be in no different position than you are now sending it out to a professional. Push yourself! I believe in you!

Lol, thanks. I do like that stack idea. Perhaps this weekend I'll give something like that a try on this knife or one of a couple other partial tang knives I have sitting around. I have some slabs of bocote, purple heart and red heart I've been trying to decide what to do with...🤔🤔🤔

Knock that handle off and see what you're working with first. You could modify the tang if the rivets aren't drilled out too wide to be a machi style wa tang and then fit on a wa handle per normal. If you wanted western I would still do it similarly but a hidden western tang, depending on if it looks like it'll work once that handle is off.

Initially I thought that was exactly what I'd do, but realized I wanted to give a western a try since my ironwood version is down in San Diego, and who knows when I'll make it down there what with COVID-19 and all going on. I haven't tried a western hidden tang yet... interesting.

Thank you all for the ideas, I wanted to pay someone else to do this since work has been crazy, but now you're all convincing me to bribe the significant other to watch the little one while I play in the garage for a weekend. :D:D:D

I converted mine to a wa handle. Top of the tang is flush with the blade; bottom portion has a shoulder. I'd see what Dave could do; that being said, I think it'll be a fun learning experience; additionally, it's not a super expensive blade.

Was yours one of these pakka wood Tanaka R2 or VG-10 blades? I wish I had snagged some black handled versions of the VG-10 when Metalmaster still had his site up. Those were a steal, but I wanted to wait and see if the wa-handle ones came back in stock. Oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda... Do you have pics of your conversion you can share? Cheers!

that half tang western sure is a bit tricky. you need to have a matching scale and some spacer to fill between the scale on the tail side. also, an appropriate pin is also needed or you can use a metal rod and epoxy.

It was a red handled Tanaka r2. I don't seem to have pics of the blade after handle removal, but will grab some of it in its current state

Back