Western style boning: Tojiro DP Gokujo (or German zwilling pro boning) ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vk2109

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking to make a gift for someone in my family and debating with the Tojiro DP Gokujo or a Zwilling pro boning. Has anyone experience with the Tojiro DP and the curved shape?
and ease of use. The purpose for the purchase is for general meat boning/fat trimming/carving chicken time to time (home use)
The recipient is looking for western style (so no honesuki) and also it needs to be western style black handle ( yeah don't ask why, but it's for consistency in terms of visual).
whetstone sharpening vs rod honing is not an issue as i know the tojiro is 60 HRC vs 57-58 for german one

Thanks

Vadim

I would imagine the VG-10 in the Tojiro would be easier to sharpen than the Zwilling.

Zwilling will be more forgiving around bones but probably won't stay sharp too long and will become annoying to resharpen.

I see a serious problem in VG-10 being maintained with a honing rod. A wire edge is not far, I'm afraid. VG-10 requires a careful abrading of the burr through the full progression.

I see a serious problem in VG-10 being maintained with a honing rod. A wire edge is not far, I'm afraid. VG-10 requires a careful abrading of the burr through the full progression.
Of course, Sorry..What i meant is that recipient uses whetstones so the way of sharpening is not a limiting factor between the 2 knives. of courses for the tojiro it will be only whetstone and for the zwilling honing and when needed whetstone (also it's gonna be more difficult) !

Personally, I wouldn't want VG10 for boning. I don't see what the hardness is on that specific model so if it was around 58, it might be alright. But at that hardness you're open to all kinds of other things. I'd look to F. Dick, Dexter, Mercer, etc.

I have a Henckels 4star knife that I use a lot. Actually, I have 3 knives one is 7 1/2 the other 2 are 5 1/2. One or 2 were my mom's. I find I use them a lot with trimming meat for BBQ. I sharpen and maintain them with a Worksharp Ken Onion sharpened at 15 degrees. I don't have a problem with them holding an edge.

I use the 7 1/2 inch one more for cleaning fish and the 5 1/2 inchers more for trimming meat.

I'd prefer something longer than either of those for trimming... but then you don't have a lot of western options remaining. Something to be aware of is that the Tojiro knife is not flexible.

Hello,
I am looking to make a gift for someone in my family and debating with the Tojiro DP Gokujo or a Zwilling pro boning. Has anyone experience with the Tojiro DP and the curved shape?
and ease of use. The purpose for the purchase is for general meat boning/fat trimming/carving chicken time to time (home use)
The recipient is looking for western style (so no honesuki) and also it needs to be western style black handle ( yeah don't ask why, but it's for consistency in terms of visual).
whetstone sharpening vs rod honing is not an issue as i know the tojiro is 60 HRC vs 57-58 for german one
I think the best options are cheap boning knives like Dexter, Russell, etc but since OP says it's a gift I assume OP is looking for the "curb appeal"

OP, what do you think of this?

https://towncutler.com/collections/desert-dawn/products/straight-boning-knife-desert-dawn
Another user on the board has pointed out this one as well:
https://strata-portland.myshopify.c...-sabatier-carbone-vintage-5-inch-boning-knife

A bit surprised about that K-Sabatier: the Authentique series is stainless, no carbon steel, and the handles are no pakka but POM. Check sabatier-k.com

A bit surprised about that K-Sabatier: the Authentique series is stainless, no carbon steel, and the handles are no pakka but POM. Check sabatier-k.com

I do not know. Maybe anglophone dealers call the lines by slightly different names?

Sabatier Shop clearly identifies the carbon line as Au Carbone, while the Authentique one is stainless. But Sabatier Outlet refers to "Authentic" and "Authentic Carbon".

Then there are yet other Sabatiers, with yet other lines.
https://sabatierknifeshop.com/collections/single-knives-boning-knives
As I am not a Sabatier user, I'll have to bow out on that matter. I just posted that link up because someone had pointed it to me in a discussion about boning-knives.

K-Sab also has an 18 cm slicer in the 200/8 series that might actually work reasonably well in these roles... though I have no hands-on experience with it.

https://www.sabatier-shop.com/slicing-knife-7-in-200-range-g10-handle.html
Based on profile I'd say it would do well at trimming, do pretty decent for taking down chickens, but only be so-so for actual boning. Then again, I think the actual real boning knives tend to be rather underwelming for trimming... but that's just my (home user) preferences.

K-Sab also has an 18 cm slicer in the 200/8 series that might actually work reasonably well in these roles... though I have no hands-on experience with it.

https://www.sabatier-shop.com/slicing-knife-7-in-200-range-g10-handle.html
Based on profile I'd say it would do well at trimming, do pretty decent for taking down chickens, but only be so-so for actual boning. Then again, I think the actual real boning knives tend to be rather underwelming for trimming... but that's just my (home user) preferences.
I have their 250mm chef's, and it's the only stainless chef's I've kept. Fantastic knives, but would keep that slicer far from bones. Not that the steel has no brittleness, with 14C28N @60Rc, but they are far too thin, if I combine the description with what I experience with the chef's, with 1mm thickness at 20mm from the board.

Last edited:
Would make it a nicer trimmer though. ;) But I get what you mean.
Personally I think that for trimming and actual boning different knives perform better.

Would make it a nicer trimmer though. ;) But I get what you mean.
Personally I think that for trimming and actual boning different knives perform better.

Next time I trim a brisket I will try a couple of my slicing knives. I have 6-inch and 8-inch knives to try instead of my boning knives. I will see if I like it.

PS
I just tried cutting a cooked ham hock up to put back in my red beans using an 8-inch slicing knife and I think the boning knife is better.

Last edited:
Back