What’s your favorite boner?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been pulling lots of shoulder blades out of pork lately and I’ve found that the cheap curvy house blades are easier to do that than my honesuki is. I don’t mean to replace my honesuki, I really enjoy my Frankenstein misono, but something to supplement. I had a silverthron for a while but that didn’t do much for me, too thin towards the tip I think. Anyway what do you guys use?

M1k3

Reaction score
I've been using a Wusthof 6" GP II chefs. Short enough while not being to short. The handle doesn't get to slippery when covered in fat and moisture. Not exactly suited to the task but it's been working for me for the past 11+ years.

Danzo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like to stay away from plastic handles, mainly so they don’t get mixed in with the house knives. And for looks, unfortunately I hate the feel of the vicinox rosewood too

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks like a good boning knife, its carbon too will take a sharp edge & keep it for a while.

Walla

Reaction score
I wish I had taken a screen shot... because if there's no photo it didn't happen...

There was an advertisement...for Father's Day...it suggested...that you give your father a boning knife for Father's Day...

I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of giving my father a boner...

Needless to say he received something else that year....

Take care

Jeff

Dendrobatez

Reaction score

This is my favorite knife for that purpose. It's an itk tojiro white steel petty that I got for $30 6 years ago. It was pretty awful until it was hand sanded and thinned. The plastic ferrule would constantly come off so it needed a new handle.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Hobbyist Craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mazaki 165 petty (with that funny pointy profile) works well for me. But I am not a heavy duty user.

Walla

Reaction score
Omg now there's talk of boners being too short...the 12 year old arrested development side of me can't resist...

I'm sorry...

Jeff

inferno

Reaction score

This is my favorite knife for that purpose. It's an itk tojiro white steel petty that I got for $30 6 years ago. It was pretty awful until it was hand sanded and thinned. The plastic ferrule would constantly come off so it needed a new handle.
what wood is this?

gman

Reaction score
now i can't say i remove many pork shoulder blades raw (i usually smoke them bone in and then pull off with a pair of carving forks) but thinking about the angles you would need to deal with, would this not be a job for a flexible blade with a bull nose? just thinking about trying to do this with a honesuki, i'm imagining a lot of getting the tip stuck against the bone and not being able to get the edge down close to it, which would be frustrating indeed.