What’s your favorite boner?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thinking of going for a more curved profile over a mini gyuto or petty. That tojiro dp looks nice. I’m also looking at the Fdick, shape and point seem nice. But how’s the steel you wonder?

https://www.knifemerchant.com/produ...MwfSke_MsCL1ctltks394Rc-Dy_j5bMcaAvdUEALw_wcB
thinking of going for a more curved profile over a mini gyuto or petty. That tojiro dp looks nice. I’m also looking at the Fdick, shape and point seem nice. But how’s the steel you wonder?

https://www.knifemerchant.com/produ...MwfSke_MsCL1ctltks394Rc-Dy_j5bMcaAvdUEALw_wcB
Just my experience deboned plenty bird, cleaned striploins, ribs. Prefer a narrow straight blade. The one Panda posted is 25.00 it is not as pretty as that 75.00 one you are looking at. I have seen fancy shuns and mercers that do not work well as boning knives.

Depending on mood and what I'm making, I use a Victorinox semi-flex boner, Masahiro Hankotsu, Misono Honesuki—price was a main factor since I'm cheap.

On my wish list is the Silverthorn boner.

Depending on mood and what I'm making, I use a Victorinox semi-flex boner, Masahiro Hankotsu, Misono Honesuki—price was a main factor since I'm cheap.

On my wish list is the Silverthorn boner.

I had a silverthorn, spent about a week with it, I would suggest getting the larger sized one. The small one is very small, especially the handle

I got my normal sized silverthorn right from the maker. I was even able to prevail upon him for a custom handle. When I later asked about making a larger one he referred me to Bernal.

I've haunted Bernal for about a year with no joy. Taking a new approach now (different maker) and hope to have something in hand in a couple weeks.

I got my normal sized silverthorn right from the maker. I was even able to prevail upon him for a custom handle. When I later asked about making a larger one he referred me to Bernal.

I've haunted Bernal for about a year with no joy. Taking a new approach now (different maker) and hope to have something in hand in a couple weeks.

Surprised they just passed you off to Bernal. I’ve never seen the big one there. Even when I was in SF

Btw here is a screenshot of the bigger one from their Instagram if anyone is wondering
E3DA802C-3408-48F8-B1EF-249F702E60DE.png

Yeah i've never seen one in the wild for sale anywhere...:(

Anyone experience with these? They seem wide enough that they’ll be stiff. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-MASAHIRO-Bessaku-Butcher-Knife-/382417423047

I love this atamatori (150mm), The Bernal Cutlery/Konosuke butcher’s petty, a honesuki, and a munetoshi butcher knife as a combo, but I’m a butcher these days. If I had to have just one boning knife... I’d likely go with the Bernal Butcher’s petty? But I’d miss having a curved knife for silverskin on beef knuckles, blade bones in pork butts, etc.

Also, a cheap, curved Forschner is great if you can keep it sharp. If you let it dull, it kind of sucks to sharpen back to life, but if you keep up with it, it’s great.

And I love the R. Murphy bullnose I have. I’ve been eyeing their boning shank for awhile.

WOW...did he just say his boner was too big for butts....

I'm really enjoying this thread...

Most of those knives are not mine. That group shot is from a raging get together a few years back at Mr. Drinky’s house. You can kind of see the knife piles in the background of the rader pic.

BTW since this thread has a lighthearted backbeat I will mention that the Rader has an Oosik handle. As if it was commissioned solely to be brought up in a thread like this.

Have anyone tried the Silverthorn 6 "Boning O1? They look pretty sweet and it is carbon ;-)

(I sometimes use that gokujo style F.Dick bonning knife and it works pretty well and I belive that wusthos make similarone)

Sry to slow with my share dont know how to delete the post

Last edited:
i've been recommending r murphy for a while now. best part is theyre cheap and the heat treat is soft enough that the edge comes right back with a ceramic rod. i also really appreciate the substantial wooden handle on it for a better grip. when working with meat you tend to get fat/juice all over the handle and the skinny ones just dont offer much grip..

Back