What’s your favorite boner?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been pulling lots of shoulder blades out of pork lately and I’ve found that the cheap curvy house blades are easier to do that than my honesuki is. I don’t mean to replace my honesuki, I really enjoy my Frankenstein misono, but something to supplement. I had a silverthron for a while but that didn’t do much for me, too thin towards the tip I think. Anyway what do you guys use?

I've been using a Wusthof 6" GP II chefs. Short enough while not being to short. The handle doesn't get to slippery when covered in fat and moisture. Not exactly suited to the task but it's been working for me for the past 11+ years.

For any Viz readers out there.
X9pmem.png.jpeg

I’d like to stay away from plastic handles, mainly so they don’t get mixed in with the house knives. And for looks, unfortunately I hate the feel of the vicinox rosewood too

This looks like a good boning knife, its carbon too will take a sharp edge & keep it for a while.

I wish I had taken a screen shot... because if there's no photo it didn't happen...

There was an advertisement...for Father's Day...it suggested...that you give your father a boning knife for Father's Day...

I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of giving my father a boner...

Needless to say he received something else that year....

Take care

Jeff

Mazaki 165 petty (with that funny pointy profile) works well for me. But I am not a heavy duty user.

Omg now there's talk of boners being too short...the 12 year old arrested development side of me can't resist...

I'm sorry...

Jeff

IMG-20180501-132159.jpg" alt="IMG-20180501-132159" border="0">

This is my favorite knife for that purpose. It's an itk tojiro white steel petty that I got for $30 6 years ago. It was pretty awful until it was hand sanded and thinned. The plastic ferrule would constantly come off so it needed a new handle.

what wood is this?

now i can't say i remove many pork shoulder blades raw (i usually smoke them bone in and then pull off with a pair of carving forks) but thinking about the angles you would need to deal with, would this not be a job for a flexible blade with a bull nose? just thinking about trying to do this with a honesuki, i'm imagining a lot of getting the tip stuck against the bone and not being able to get the edge down close to it, which would be frustrating indeed.

Back