What’s your favorite forum?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know some guys here participate in other non knife related forums. Which ones do you like a lot? Gun forums, bike forums, stereo...even coffee!
Give me some suggestions please, losing interest quickly in the endless discussion of the merits of shig, kato and Honyaki. Need to something new and refreshing to geek out on.

I frequent mostly forums for guns, watches, and motorcycles.

I know some guys here participate in other non knife related forums. Which ones do you like a lot? Gun forums, bike forums, stereo...even coffee!
Give me some suggestions please, losing interest quickly in the endless discussion of the merits of shig, kato and Honyaki. Need to something new and refreshing to geek out on.
What's up with the new avitar??

What's up with the new avitar??
00DDE761-D84A-4E89-8EEB-3162DD3CE21D.png

Kinda speaks for itself I would hope...This is Joe Burrow enjoying a cigar after completing the greatest season of any college QB.

Last edited:
I help moderate kamadoguru.com. I am learning a lot about cnc and am finishing up my build over at v1engeneering.com.

Been a while since I spent time at home-barista.com, but it's a good place to kill a couple of months while you learn in-depth about whatever type of coffee prep you prefer, and will lead to equipment purchases and some time fiddling around with said equipment while you train yourself on the usage.

If you like cars there are tons of forums. I would say search for one that aligns with the car(s) you have. Kill a bit of time reading all about the issues and fixes others have done on your make/ model, as well as mods and upgrades. Years ago I spent a bit of time on swedespeed.com, and still visit on occasion. There may be a local forum for whatever make/ model you have, which is nice because it can lead to more personal interaction, lending a hand on DIY projects, etc.

Garagejournal.com if you are a sadist. Zillions of posts, about any and every minute thing that might possible be in a garage. Massive, massive time-drain. I had to drop it after a couple of months.

Into cameras/ photography? Lots of forums for that. I spent a bit of time a while back on the Pentax one. The same people who run that forum also have a Nikon one. Posts cover all aspects of equipment, photography techniques, workflow, etc.

If you like watches there are a couple generic forums, like Timezone and watchuseek. Also many forums specific to brands.

There are forums for guitars
and cigars,
for screws that are loose,
and even for Dr. Seuss.

(I made up those last two, but it would not surprise me if they exist)

What’s a good coffee forum? I’d like to learn more for pour over, French press and cold brew systems.

Home-barista is good but tends to be espresso-focused; they nonetheless have a non-espresso subforum. I also read a bit on homeroasters.org because I'm into that. I've started reading coffeegeek lately, too.

On to other things -
I've been spending a lot of time on the Deterrence Dispensed keybase lately.
Head-Fi is the obvious stereo answer - I've learned a lot there.
Practical Machinist has an incredible wealth of knowledge, especially on some of the old ways of machine-building.
I used to browse LocostUSA incessantly (homebuilt Lotus 7 replicas).

What’s a good coffee forum? I’d like to learn more for pour over, French press and cold brew systems.

I learned a lot from coffee geek, hone barista, and sweet Maria’s forum. My coffee deep dive was 5-8 yrs ago. At this point I home roast my green beans, I brew with either behmor autodrip, aeropress or clever coffee dripper.

Need to something new and refreshing to geek out on.

I kind enjoy the question as a census on what other people enjoy... I suspect this is what you had in mind. The other way of reading it is like the others have said, there is almost certainly a forum for every broadly shared hobby you can think of... So the question is... what to YOU like to geek out on?? ;)

Me? I tend to join forums to learn technique. In the past I have lurked on (but not participated in) photography, shaving, gardening and coffee/espresso forums. Currently I occasionally lurk on woodworking forums.

KKF is the only forum I have really participated in for some reason!

After you have exhausted your fill of Shig, Kato and Ashi being overrated. After you have made sure Toyanabe is regarded as the best... or flamed someone for using a steel that you have never touched.... Then at least you can enjoy all the yummy posts in Whats Cooking?

How do y’all have enough time in the day for more than one forum... oig.
See below

After you have exhausted your fill of Shig, Kato and Ashi being overrated. After you have made sure Toyanabe is regarded as the best... or flamed someone for using a steel that you have never touched.... Then at least you can enjoy all the yummy posts in Whats Cooking?
yeah, after a few years I skim over many of the knife posts, and mainly just focus on recipes, etc. It doesn't take much time.

Don’t know if I would consider it the best but I read cookware reviews forum on chowhound.

They feel quite passionate about the differences between one pan and another and don’t always treat each other with the same respect as we do here.

I’m just a lurker on that board, don’t want to start a war over aluminum vs copper.

I also like the reddit board called askculinary

Science madness, I am still an administrator there. Same screen name everywhere as here, give or take a post fix number, I'm most involved with the "energetic materials" sub forum.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/

Cast boolits, forum for people who make and use their own projectiles.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com

Saubier small caliber forum, for those calibers where my mediocre skills and the teeny tiny bore sizes I'm working don't allow me to make my own bullets sufficiently well.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Last edited:
American long rifle association is an amazing forum resource for all things black powder: accoutrements, shooting, gun building, collecting, and history. I’m also a big fan of Home Barista.

I got off on the shaving, sailing, bread baking forums for a while...as Panda said, just whatever other interest you may have...I've been thinking about checking out a photography one soon...it's always interesting checking out a new crowd for a bit.

I am thinking about a shaving forum. Badger and Blade is the one? It seems pretty huge. Need to find the noobie section. Little nervous about how deep it could potentially go for me.

See below

yeah, after a few years I skim over many of the knife posts, and mainly just focus on recipes, etc. It doesn't take much time.

Pretty much what I do here now too. Here I look at the Food, Guns, Watches and random interesting threads. Outside I used to go onto Austinbassfishing.com as I learned the ins and outs of bass fishing, but that place has died. Collect coins so I'll pop into pcgs.com every once in a while. Anymore though I spend a decent amount of time on Reddit in their food sub.

I am thinking about a shaving forum. Badger and Blade is the one? It seems pretty huge. Need to find the noobie section. Little nervous about how deep it could potentially go for me.

Badger and Blade has (well, as of a few years back) the most info...much deeper rabbit hole than knives if you want to 'go there'. As here, people offered good help to newbs as long as you didn't stray to far to start asking ?'s.

Got my PCGS 2020 calendar. I have several of the coins on it. Including a couple spectacular toned examples.

1796 Draped Bust Dollar small eagle
B-5, BB-65 Almost Uncirculated Details.

1838 Cuzco MS Peru 8 Reales Almost Uncirculated AU-55

By far most expensive hobby. Only buy coins made one at a time from obverse and reverse die plates.

Now only buy rare strikes with Good eye appeal.

Last year bought only one coin 1805 Draped Bust Half Overton 107 AU50. Best one on EBay not cheap at 1,750.00 but figured it's die strike as rare and AU condition as extremely rare. One of two best coins in O 107. With beautiful gold's and blues in the toning I may have the best coin of that 107 strike. PCGS price guide has my coin's value at AU50 at 6,500.00.

So I guess EBay is my most used used site hunting down truly rare coins. Most early coins do not have die strike # on the certification slab. I take a gamble that my reslab the coin with # on it will be correct. In this case it was NGC and my 107 was correct. I hunt coins with Early Half Dollar Die Varieties book. For Colonial Dollars use Reviers book.

I looked over a year to find a 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar with good eye appeal at a price well below Redbook. I enjoy the hunt have coins with die cracks, misplaced letters, over dates, there are endless clues in figuring strikes. That's the fun.

Back