What a good canned sardine?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Briesling and Sardines in olive oil and skin on and bone in. I don’t buy canned sardines in water and or sunflower oil. Not that they are bad, its just that I like the ones in olive oil better.

The chart above is exellent. Portugal and Morocco make very good canned sardines. Nuri is top tier canned sardines brand.
This has been my experience as well!
The three stacks in my pantry (all smoked in olive oil) are
King Oscar (same as yours), Morocco
Trader Joe’s, Portugal
Madrigal, Morocco

The last one is my favorite. I can only get it from the semilocal (hour’s drive) supermercado.

1718292635245.png

Oddly, I have not found Wild Planet to be as tasty.
They’re processed in Vietnam, so I question where they are caught. I’d rather not buy fish caught near enough China to be full of half the periodic table.

If 'the agenda' means that I'll still be able to eat sardines at a somewhat affordable price 50 years from now, by all means bring on the agenda.

Some of us are still young enough to care about sustainability even if it's just for selfish reasons!
What I find rather depressing is that climate change — and particularly the acidification of our oceans — is affecting global fisheries up and down the entire food chain. Oysters are proving to be a “canary” species. North Pacific oysters are failing to restock.

Sardines are one of my favorite foods. I tasted sardines on saltines when I was very young, at my grandmother's house, and was immediately smitten. That hasn't worn off at all.

I prefer smaller fish, and always in olive oil with no additional seasonings or chili or anything. King Oscar and another readily available brand that I don't have to hand, but I think it's also small Norwegian sardines, and has bright yellow wrapping over the tin, are wonderful.

My all time favorite so far, after trying a bunch, is Yurrita.

Sardines are one of my favorite foods. I tasted sardines on saltines when I was very young, at my grandmother's house, and was immediately smitten. That hasn't worn off at all.

I prefer smaller fish, and always in olive oil with no additional seasonings or chili or anything. King Oscar and another readily available brand that I don't have to hand, but I think it's also small Norwegian sardines, and has bright yellow wrapping over the tin, are wonderful.

My all time favorite so far, after trying a bunch, is Yurrita.
Tiny Tots?

I always found sardines too 'fishy'...that was until I tasted charcoal grilled fresh sardines and a little later discovered there is a huge difference between canned sardines.

As usual 'go local' eating fish in a fishing port almost can not go wrong (unless it;s in a tourist trap), selecting fish from a reputable brand in a country where fish is staple diet can also hardly go wrong IMHO.

I always found sardines too 'fishy'...that was until I tasted charcoal grilled fresh sardines and a little later discovered there is a huge difference between canned sardines.

As usual 'go local' eating fish in a fishing port almost can not go wrong (unless it;s in a tourist trap), selecting fish from a reputable brand in a country where fish is staple diet can also hardly go wrong IMHO.
The most amazing fish&chips I ever had was on the water in Puerto Montt in ‘84. Great vast shingle of fried white fish for like $2. Only downer — no sauce.

This has been my experience as well!
The three stacks in my pantry (all smoked in olive oil) are
King Oscar (same as yours), Morocco
Trader Joe’s, Portugal
Madrigal, Morocco

The last one is my favorite. I can only get it from the semilocal (hour’s drive) supermercado.

View attachment 328155
Oddly, I have not found Wild Planet to be as tasty.
They’re processed in Vietnam, so I question where they are caught. I’d rather not buy fish caught near enough China to be full of half the periodic table.
The pink can from traders joes?

Big tinned fish guy here. Here are some tasty sardines I’ve eaten.

Espinaler spicy baby sardines. 2 layers. Mild spice, silky texture.

7853367F-7F53-440A-9A94-5219FBD6BE5D.jpeg

Real Conservas big bois. Delicate, silken texture and super clean flavor.
DSC07948.jpeg

Real Conservas small bois with lemon. Gorgeous, silky, clean.
DSC04501.jpeg

King Oscar boneless skinless, Spanish style. Most KO sardines suck, but their boneless ones are made in Morocco and don’t suck. The Spanish ones are the tastiest.

DSC03766.jpeg

Güeyu Mar sardine loins in escabeche. Michelin deens. Good for a splurge. Great flavor.

DSC01831.jpeg

La Brujula smallish bois. Firmer texture, beautiful fish. Two layers.

DSC00924.jpeg

Action shot:
DSC00939.jpeg

Spicy Nuris are a daily driver for me. Always try to have some on hand. This was from the first batch of the extra spicys.

3958467A-2B2C-4265-8B2C-7FD83074F018.jpeg

Ramon Peña gold line. My gateway sardine. My go to fancy small deen. Silver bellies so shiny.

19018E96-4009-4C79-99A7-E23919F54D68.jpeg

Ready to go on a chip with some spicy Espinaler sauce. Oh yes.

7C99A1F6-A5A4-4423-ACF2-E57C39B2D881.jpeg

Last edited:
...that was until I tasted charcoal grilled fresh sardines
It seems like fresh sardines are so underappreciated in many places. Here they're pretty much nonexistent in markets or restaurants. There are plenty in the water but usually thought of as bait. I dug up a pic, not very impressive looking, but I like it because my son caught these two when he was seven years old and we grilled them up together. He likes them just as much as I do.
pilchards.jpg

Back