What a great forum

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NordicBurr

Reaction score
One month ago I found this forum. It All started because I had to sharpen my Kitchen knives. I went on YouTube to find some toturials. I was amazed at some of the passionate knife Channels. I had no idea of the scope of the knife World. The dedication. Perfection. And in lack of a Better term the love of the art of cooking and the tools to master it. I spend 6 hours learning about wetstones, steel, boards and of course knives. And some garden Work too. 6 hours and I got the feeling that there was no way back for me. I was in it!

I started upgrading my small balcony garden so to grow fresh herbs. Check. I bought a new knife. Check. Bought wetstones. Check. I bought japanese cutting boards (wauw what an eye opener!) .... And then I realised one new knife was not enough 🫣😜

Already this forum had been such a good help. I cannot believe the skill and passion that the members here possess. The willingness to help. The refreshing banter. It really seems like a nice place to be and take part in.
So I would like to thank all the members... Yes that means you too ☺️

I Hope to share my experiences with you as they come...

Thank you and see you in the threats...

/Daniel
Nordic homecook from Copenhagen

Welcome aboard, Daniel!
You probably know, but just to make sure: there's a huge archive, you best approach with Google's 'site:'-function.
Google search
site:kitchenknifeforums.com term1 and term2
Have fun!

Welcome aboard, Daniel!
You probably know, but just to make sure: there's a huge archive, you best approach with Google's 'site:'-function.
Google search
site:kitchenknifeforums.com term1 and term2
Have fun!
Thank you everyone.

And thank you Benuser. I am still learning to navigate the site here. This was helpful ☺️
/Daniel

Welcome Daniel! I’ve been on this forum from the start. It was started by a guy named Dave Martell. He’s a great guy and he knows a LOT about knives and sharpening! I’m 72 years old and have been into knives and sharpening since I was a kid and I thought I knew a lot until Dave showed me how wrong I was, in a nice way. He’s a class act as are many other folks on this forum. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from the forum🤕

Welcome Daniel! I’ve been on this forum from the start. It was started by a guy named Dave Martell. He’s a great guy and he knows a LOT about knives and sharpening! I’m 72 years old and have been into knives and sharpening since I was a kid and I thought I knew a lot until Dave showed me how wrong I was, in a nice way. He’s a class act as are many other folks on this forum. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from the forum🤕
Thank you Dean.
I am not new to homecooking. But truthfully I never took too much notise of my knives until a friend showed me one of her japanese knives. I think this was a turning point for me.
Now I have ordered three knives in total: a gyoto (210mm) a nikiri 165mm and a petty 150mm. All AS steel knives because It was the ones appealing to me.
Now I am looking for a Sujihiki for meat and fish slicing.
My Kitchen counter space is limited so probably no longer than 270mm.
Even though I like AS steel I was thinking that other types might fit better since there is less board contact and I have concerns about slicing protein and AO Steel?
Finally I would prefer a handforged knife since I would like to support these businesses.

Oh and my budget is around 500 dollars (I live in Denmark/the EU and would prefer EU retailers, but not an absolute requirement).

I know this is not the threat to continue this. But I just wanted to give you an idea :)

Anyway thank you for the warm welcome...

/Daniel

There's no reason to avoid carbon steel with proteins. The traditional Japanese blades for proteins are made of Shirogami, which is far more reactive than AS. You may try other steel types, but especially with proteins I would prefer any carbon over any stainless.

There's no reason to avoid carbon steel with proteins. The traditional Japanese blades for proteins are made of Shirogami, which is far more reactive than AS. You may try other steel types, but especially with proteins I would prefer any carbon over any stainless.
Thank you Ben! It's very helpful. And its great to hear since I really like everything about the AS steel (also the understated aesthetic 😏).

Thank you Ben! It's very helpful. And its great to hear since I really like everything about the AS steel (also the understated aesthetic 😏).
All of my sujis (slicing knives) are carbon.

I do have a semistainless long K-tip gyuto that I use as a slicer but I use it because the steel (YXR7) is super tough and I use it on crusty roasts.

A nice side effect is that hot meat gives a killer patina.

Last edited:
Back