What am I even doing?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tag302

Reaction score
I really have no idea what I’m doing... this knife is the epitome of jerry-rigged.
the blade is made from a shovel, the scales are teak from an old window frame, the pins are steel bolts I ground smooth, and the brass accent is from a random piece of brass I found in a drawer.
DB79C769-4E87-4088-B333-A8FCC1EEEA13.jpeg
9FDBDB60-A8ED-4A79-B433-93FF27E1B60A.jpeg
2E6C9309-1D22-40C3-8F59-70F8FEF665D3.jpeg
32D2CA8D-FFAC-42D0-B3A5-AB5DFC656098.jpeg
8D03EB98-263F-49B2-BD36-24D9B2537070.jpeg
0E604171-EA5E-47CF-BCC4-2DCF1D66A4AD.jpeg
9639F58F-AADE-4D4B-A93F-3CF6D5EB600B.jpeg

For not knowing what you're doing, I'd say you did pretty well.
Nice job extending the tang so the scales fit.

Haha, thanks. In the photos you can see where I welded the tang onto the blade (I spot welded very slowly to not mess up the heat treat on the blade) but when I went to cut my scales I realized how fricking front heavy this knife would be. I needed more weight in the back so instead of welding on more to the handle, I just used those brass pieces. Lol.
Surprisingly, it’s still only 220g

So if function is the number 1 priority (it was not in this case obviously, I did use a shovel...) should I have left the extension off to make the front even heavier?

"jerry-rigged" is how the world's great inventions came to be - i love the spirit of this!

Well this is right up there with the coolest projects I've seen here. Feckin' ace!

Super cool project!! It looks like it turned out great. Im curious how it cuts. Ironically, it's still a shovel, a food shovel.

I ho
Super cool project!! It looks like it turned out great. Im curious how it cuts. Ironically, it's still a shovel, a food shovel.

I haven’t used it enough to really know how it does. Plus there are a lot of variable in working with including my knife and sharpening skills...
But can say that there is a bit of a twist in the blade. It is curved one way at the edge and the other way at the spine. Because the shovel has compound curves in it and there is just so much metal on this design, I wasn’t able to get the bend out. I could get one bend out and it would pop out another one elsewhere.
I don’t have a way to heat treat it at the moment since I live in an apartment so I was kind of limited on how much work I could do on the steel.
But, I am trying again on a smaller blade and I think I actually got it pretty straight

How does she cut?

I think it cuts pretty okay.
It has a relatively flat bottom which is different than the typical chef knife a typically use. I tend to do a fair amount of both rocking and push cutting when I cook and this knife is okay with pushing. I’m also quite a noob with knives so haven’t quite developed a fine enough “palate” to really notice huge differences in the way a knife cuts.
I am going to start another thread with photos of the other knife I just made from this shovel!

Back