What am I seeing here...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walla

Reaction score
Stumbled across this video...I'm not sure what to think...or say...other than they don't seem to worry about how flat the stone is...

Anyone know anything about what stone they're using...

Take care

Jeff

Very cool! It's like a automatic edge-convexer. Judging by his channel it seems they're in Uttar Pradesh, India. Must be a local stone, but there's no easy-to-google info. I'd guess it's probably not worth tracking down if that's what you're thinking.

Very cool! It's like a automatic edge-convexer. Judging by his channel it seems they're in Uttar Pradesh, India. Must be a local stone, but there's no easy-to-google info. I'd guess it's probably not worth tracking down if that's what you're thinking.
Wasn't even thinking of anything like that... it's just so blob like...when I first saw the thumbnail I thought it was a cake or something... anything other than a stone...

Most of us with out flat, rectangular stones, our diamond plates etc are so removed from anything like this...our ancestors just picked up whatever stone they could find and used it until they found something better... people have been sharpenng like that for... forever...

That being said...it would be interesting to try it out...

Jeff

I was curious so asked in YouTube if he made the stone that way purposely or if it just wore down and like lightning he responded: “It is a little bit flat only, using it for some years,it has worn down.”

He’s seems used to it this way and must have the technique to make it work.

Wasn't even thinking of anything like that... it's just so blob like...when I first saw the thumbnail I thought it was a cake or something... anything other than a stone...

Most of us with out flat, rectangular stones, our diamond plates etc are so removed from anything like this...our ancestors just picked up whatever stone they could find and used it until they found something better... people have been sharpenng like that for... forever...

That being said...it would be interesting to try it out...

Jeff

Looks like ridge sharpening. The pressure is highly increased and thus making everything a lot faster. In the end he's using a pretty flat spot for the sides with whatever that thing is.

In the old days people didn't care much about chipping, geometry and stuff like that. Was the edge a penetrator? That was sharpening. I've seen people sharpening knives on concrete in front of the house for many many years. That was the only way. Sharpening stones? They would laugh at you for days.

I've noticed that the best sword polishers in Japan regularly use non-flat stones, and always wondered what they would have to say if someone told them to flatten them...
18-21652.jpeg

22-21982.jpeg

Reactions: JDC
They all seem convex. I found a clip showing how they make these, it's here somewhere. We usually battle concave forms. Convex stones were used for razors long ago, as well.

I was thinking about what happens to our stones and why we flatten them. But it's quite interesting. I see in one of these links that there's a drawing about the way the sword is prone to bow, following quite a convex stone path.

I was thinking about what happens to our stones and why we flatten them. But it's quite interesting. I see in one of these links that there's a drawing about the way the sword is prone to bow, following quite a convex stone path.
This picture? I wouldn't call that a convex stone path. In fact, I suspect that a convex stone could help to stop this from happening.
bowing.fw.png

Yes. But here this effect is regarded as negative with a flat stone because the lack of proper contact. What if the stone was convex to start with?
I also don't imagine happening with most knives, if at all even with the flexible ones as they are rather small.
I see a bit of a difference between making some stones convex to serve a purpose and just "abandoned" from being kept flat. That was my original idea, that our stones turn concave more or less and this definitely will not help us. So we need to do something in the concave stone battle.

I think its foolish to say that people of the past did not care about cutting implements or did not understand how they work. The goals could of been somewhat different to the modern people, but you bet that if the flat stone is best option, they would of use a flat stone. At the end of the day the lives of people depended on cutting implements not that far long ago.

Common folks care even less about it now.

Oh man, he's gonna have a hard time reselling that knife on the internet after the way he wrecked that cladding.

But maybe he can get it all polished up good with that Okuda Shiro Suita powder he applied at the end.

Latest posts

Back