What are the most sought after gyutos now?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You forgot Isasmedjan and Bjorn!

Haven't tried for a Isasmedjan so not sure how bad it is to try for one of his. I thought of Bjorn, but whenever I check his shop there is always something up in his shop, so not quite the craze for his stuff (i.e three knives are up for sale right now).

I forgot Marko Tsourkan and Devin Thomas.

To add to Raquin and Yanick, The 9. Cant tell them apart really, maybe its all just Raquin

I just helped a working mate with his knifes (Munetoshi) and i have to admit, it is like a kitchen traktor from raquin, if not better after a good sharpening session. Better then the average Mazaki for sure.

But not wanted :D wrong thread sorry.

I go and cut with my Jiro or should i take the Guldiman (this are sought after knives... If you don`t order you would not get one)

SirCutALot

that's 99% of the knives we talk about around here.

some of these being harder to acquire than others is just a matter of degree.
Of course, an unfortunate choice of words on my part.
Are these knives so desirable because of their limited numbers and difficulty to acquire compared to say Masamoto or a higher-end Sakai Takayuki? Or are they objectively superior products?

I’m fortunate in having many of the popular makers knives mentioned in this thread but I seem to reach for Bjorn’s.

Haven't tried for a Isasmedjan so not sure how bad it is to try for one of his. I thought of Bjorn, but whenever I check his shop there is always something up in his shop, so not quite the craze for his stuff (i.e three knives are up for sale right now).

I forgot Marko Tsourkan and Devin Thomas.

Of course, an unfortunate choice of words on my part.
Are these knives so desirable because of their limited numbers and difficulty to acquire compared to say Masamoto or a higher-end Sakai Takayuki? Or are they objectively superior products?

There's no objectivity involved. Simple market forces. For performance it is really hard to beat factory produced Japanese knives. But they are boring and not that pretty and readily available. So there's a demand for artisan produced knives and a limited number of artisans to produce them. It doesn't mean that a $1000+ Raquin is going to chop your onions any better than a $120 Mac Pro.

@stringer nailed it there - the difference in performance between a Kato and a fibrox Vic is significantly, massively smaller than the difference in their prices. The prices are a reflection of primarily the supply/demand curve and to a lesser extent the craftsmanship in production. But higher or more expensive effort used producing a blade doesn't mean that the blade is better at anything other than costing a lot of money.

Buuuuuuuut... humans are not objective creatures. My kids are by far the most amazing people on the planet... to me. I'm not objective, but don't pretend to be at all. My Kato, my Togashi honyaki, several others, are the greatest knives I've ever used... and that opinion is absolutely as subjective as my opinion on my kids. :)

Given the availability of extremely effective knives for under 50 dollars, no knife is objectively "worth" over a thousand based on utility alone.

@stringer But higher or more expensive effort used producing a blade doesn't mean that the blade is better at anything other than costing a lot of money.
They are good at appealing to a certain aesthetic which factory knives don't appeal to :)
Something in-between art and a tool then. Those Dalman's certainly look cool.

Of course a knife from a single artisan appeals to me more than one from a big factory as well. As a new member I was just curious what made these knives more desirable than other knives of a similar price.

There's no objectivity involved. Simple market forces. For performance it is really hard to beat factory produced Japanese knives. But they are boring and not that pretty and readily available. So there's a demand for artisan produced knives and a limited number of artisans to produce them. It doesn't mean that a $1000+ Raquin is going to chop your onions any better than a $120 Mac Pro.
Not sure I agree with all of that. How many factory, by which I assume you're inferring mass-produced, knives are using steels like Aogami and Shirogami, and are heat treated to the same hardness as a TF for example. There is a subtlety and complexity to the geometry of a Yoshiaki Fujiwara blade that I've never seen duplicated in a stamped or machine forged blade. All these factors contribute to the 'performance' of the blade, be it edge retention, sharpness whilst retaining durability or food release. Yes, there is a premium for the connection to the maker and his/her backstory but its a lot more than that IMHO.

That is why I struck the comparison with Masamoto and Takayuki at a similar price point, rather than true factory knives like Global or Mac. To my understanding these are bigger forges than the smaller one-man shows but still use the same methods and steels, unlike the bigger factories.

Now wait, I've now tried the Kato santoku (lowers head in shame) and it isn't a better cutter than the Kramer Zwillig FC61 mass produced santoku. I'd even say the handle isn't as nice (both westerns). But my 6.8 sun Carter is significantly better than the Kei Kobayashi SG2 210 mm at the same length. And the 240 mm Wat (post Carter resharpen) is better in almost all ways than the Ryky 240 "burrfection knife" (again head hangs in shame) I purchased. The only way it is worse is reactivity, being blue #1 vs Aus8. So there is some value added for the "maker's mark" in those cases. The more interesting comparison is to the Wootz or Muteki knives I own from not as well known makers. The Muteki (Alex Horn) I have is very nice.

Back