What are those huge "tank" knives for?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry's Knives

Reaction score
They are cropping up more and more and seem to me to be highly impractical, so maybe I'm missing something?

Like the Tinker Tank?

I've not used one, but basically a smaller Chukabocho or larger nakiri. Shibata-san suggested that knife to me when I was looking for a heavier version of his Kotetsu Bunka
Yes exactly that. Thankyou for explaining. Still seem unwieldy to me though.

I think the recent Watayama. gyuto's could be classified as 'tanks'. Def not my style.

I have a Tinker Knives Tank and love it. Stupid sharp.

The only reason I've never tried the Tank is that in Canadian $, I haven't been able to justify it.

I've used a CCK 1103, and see the Tank as a smaller version of that.
Yes and no. The CCK grind is way different.
I have a Dao kiri, and once I thinning it out it is just fun to use.

The choil on the shibata is pretty interesting though, like a concave primary bevel and then a concave secondary bevel. It's hard to tell how a knife performs from choil alone (catchesides are a good example of bad looking choils). I'd still like to try the shibata just because of the choil though...

Bought one in February. Very thin behind the edge but thick at the spine. Heavy and tall. Feel like a laserey axe. I don't really know what they are meant for but they do murder bell peppers.

Back