What are we listening to lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have very fond memories from this tune. must have been 93 or 94, or possibly 95. we were down in germany for the octoberfest visiting my dads friends who lived down in munich. i remember them playing this tune below very often on the radio. love it. dad liked it too.

one of the best memories of that trip was when we were going back home. we had about 200km to go to the exit for the ferry and if we missed that exit it was a 60km turnaround. so we needed to move fast just in case. it was the autobahn at night. no speed limit. and it was a sunday night i believe. dad had an m5 then.

we had been down in ulm where hamann motosport is located. and they were the only company that could de-limit a bmw m5 back then. we got 30-40 extra horses too with their tune. we also bought some nice split wheels there. the m5 was the fastest 4 door car in the world back then.

so back home i was resetting the trip computer over and over to see the real speed. 285, 288, 290. that was nice. the wind noise was so loud you could not communicate in the car anymore. but up to 250 it was ok i'd say. mom was sleeping in the back seat (thank fukn god). we travelled that 200km distance in about 47minutes. thats an average of 256km/h for over 45 minutes. it was really nice. :)

i also remember the industrial diesel smell, yeah the whole country smelled like diesel exhaust somehow.

my best memory from that trip:

M5, what a great car that was...and what an invention the Autobahn is!
Autobahn driving with a good car, good weather and the road empty enough to allow high speeds, is such a thrill. I count myself lucky to live close enough to indulge every now and then and I (well, before covid anyway) use it regularly when travelling for work. Flying to Munich takes more time than driving on a good day when taking the commute to and from the airport, checking in and out and everything taken into account. On the Autobahn those 800km can be done in like 4-5 hours.

Things changed since the 90-ies though, plenty more cars on the road, endless trucks (always overtaking each other with 3km/h difference), average driver skills went down significantly in Germany, roads deteriorated due to neglect and there are many sections now with speed limits, last but least the number of Baustellen is mind numbing (the good bit is that the roads are being improved again since a number of years now)

For an accompanying song for high speed driving there can only be Fahrt fahrt fahrt auf der Autobahn by Kraftwerk, OR Paradise by the dashboard light by Meat Loaf (dangerous song as it can make you loose your license real easy when you get into it when driving). Long ago I had a playlist (well, in the form of a CD back then) for high speed driving but it's better without music as you need every bit of concentration you can find at those speeds and the car is loud enough anyway.

M5, what a great car that was...and what an invention the Autobahn is!
Autobahn driving with a good car, good weather and the road empty enough to allow high speeds, is such a thrill. I count myself lucky to live close enough to indulge every now and then and I (well, before covid anyway) use it regularly when travelling for work. Flying to Munich takes more time than driving on a good day when taking the commute to and from the airport, checking in and out and everything taken into account. On the Autobahn those 800km can be done in like 4-5 hours.

Things changed since the 90-ies though, plenty more cars on the road, endless trucks (always overtaking each other with 3km/h difference), average driver skills went down significantly in Germany, roads deteriorated due to neglect and there are many sections now with speed limits, last but least the number of Baustellen is mind numbing (the good bit is that the roads are being improved again since a number of years now)

For an accompanying song for high speed driving there can only be Fahrt fahrt fahrt auf der Autobahn by Kraftwerk, OR Paradise by the dashboard light by Meat Loaf (dangerous song as it can make you loose your license real easy when you get into it when driving). Long ago I had a playlist (well, in the form of a CD back then) for high speed driving but it's better without music as you need every bit of concentration you can find at those speeds and the car is loud enough anyway.

Queen will get you into trouble while driving, too.

unrelated (but wonderful) album:

Mahler's Wunderhorn at realistic Volume :D conducted by (until a few months ago new to me) Teodor Currentzis, great recording stellar performance...mesmerizing how he captures the attention of the orchestra and is able to synchronize everyone at the highest level !

i have very fond memories from this tune. must have been 93 or 94, or possibly 95. we were down in germany for the octoberfest visiting my dads friends who lived down in munich. i remember them playing this tune below very often on the radio. love it. dad liked it too.

one of the best memories of that trip was when we were going back home. we had about 200km to go to the exit for the ferry and if we missed that exit it was a 60km turnaround. so we needed to move fast just in case. it was the autobahn at night. no speed limit. and it was a sunday night i believe. dad had an m5 then.

we had been down in ulm where hamann motosport is located. and they were the only company that could de-limit a bmw m5 back then. we got 30-40 extra horses too with their tune. we also bought some nice split wheels there. the m5 was the fastest 4 door car in the world back then.

so back home i was resetting the trip computer over and over to see the real speed. 285, 288, 290. that was nice. the wind noise was so loud you could not communicate in the car anymore. but up to 250 it was ok i'd say. mom was sleeping in the back seat (thank fukn god). we travelled that 200km distance in about 47minutes. thats an average of 256km/h for over 45 minutes. it was really nice. :)

i also remember the industrial diesel smell, yeah the whole country smelled like diesel exhaust somehow.

my best memory from that trip:

Ever visited Gelsenkirchen before? One of my favorite footballers grew up there (Mesut Ozil). Apparently it's a real dump, like Dortmund, but industrial cities tend to be that way, so it is what it is.

This morning’s choice was more restful admittedly, Eating my own body weight in baked pork products (sausage rolls/pork pies mainly), followed by a post pub Papa Johns, was not an advisable choice after a year away from serious drinking

Salsa.

Gente de Zona
Marc Anthony
Carlos Vives

I can't understand a word they're saying, but it doesn't detract.

We have had such terrible weather here in Northern Europe... Rain, rain, storms, rain, 10-12 degrees Celsius.. I am longing for sunshine! What better way to get me in the mood than classic balearics from my favourite dj, who unfortunately died at the end of last year. Tracklist is on mixcloud I think.

weather is getting better today and onwards :)

for now I'm listening to this, getting real close to reality after the umpteenth iteration of the tweeter filter and positioning;

Back