What are we listening to lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grayswandir wrote;

Awesome story. Being on the road brings many adventures. Must have been an amazing experience, being a pilot during WWII. How was Roma?

My "adventure" couldn't have happened without the kindness and generosity of total strangers, who often offered us food,, a place to clean up,,, or a place to stay for a night or two when the weather turned cold and our pockets were empty. Beautiful people with curiousity about us,,, and at the same time, eager to tell us their own stories. That was a very common way to look at things back in those days. There was nothing to fear,,, no "angry crazies" to deal with. Hippies were everywhere. Love was everywhere. People of all ages would flash us a "peace" sign as they passed by, and they meant it. Beautiful people.

We had some rough times too. All in all, we were gone for roughly two months, and by the end of November, it was simply too cold, and we headed home. We had no sleeping bags or tents, and there were times when we slept on the ground, next to a small campfire, taking turns, because one of us had to stay awake to keep a lookout for bears in British Columbia's Okanogan Valley. The Okanogan has vast fruit orchards, and at night we'd pick a few apples or pears, just to get something to eat.

I could tell you a lot more, such as hitching one ride that took us all the way from Sudbury, Ontario to British Columbia in 4 days,,,, and that the kidnapping of British Ambassador James Cross happened the same day we left. (the October '70 FLQ crisis in Quebec),,,, and our overwhelming sense of awe when we first awoke on a sunny day in the B.C. Rocky Mountains,, and how we got free steak dinners when we signed up for a job with a coal mining company on what the miners called "Steak Day" (we were sooooo hungry),,, and how Vancouver was so overrun with "hippies" that the police kicked us out of town because we had no permanent address, and how they bought us bus-tickets to the next town, or, sleeping at the doorway of an abandoned hotel, in a company-town that was scheduled to be bulldozed into the ground due to coal-dust contamination.(the entire town). or, being taken to see what the locals called "Sasquatch Caves" (Bigfoot caves). I could probably write a book about that trip,,,, what an experience.

Rome is another story, so I'll cut it short. The captain and I spent four days together, wined and dined in some great restaurants,,, was probably drunk for 3 out of 4 days. We ate next to the Trevi fountain,,, went to the Coliseum, went to visit one of the catain's friends, who was a professor at the university. Traffic in Rome is absolutely insane with as many as 8 or more "streets" opening into a square, where drivers enter the square on one side, and trying to exit out the other side,,, but they can't merge, so they go 'round and 'round, yelling and gesturing obscenities at each other,,,, it was quite comical to see. Overall, the sense of history is simply overwhelming. That said; hang on to your wallet and passport when you're around tourist attractions.:)

Beautiful stories.

I was a little more fortunate, as I had an old Bronco II and a pocket full of money on my travels out west and back. I met a few famous people along the way, found myself singing with a bunch of Indians at the Denver Powwow back in 1995. That was real honor, the drum's name was "Eagle Voice" and they needed an extra singer. I told my friend that I only knew sweat lodge songs, so he said to me, "Hold your hand on your ear and fake it!". Needless to say it was good advice, but somehow the words came to me and I didn't make a single mistake. It was quite an experience, singing with my Lakota friends, and in front of thousands of other Indian people from all over the country. I still laugh when I remember him telling me to "fake it", what a character he was!

I once found myself in Washington D.C., or on the outskirts, at a sweat lodge ceremony, where the owner of the lodge was a CIA agent. We were supposed to sweat with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn that night, but they never showed up. I'm not sure what happened with them, but I would have loved to have met Kurt Russel. Anyway, the CIA agent was a bit of a character, to say the least. I accidentally threw some dirt and sand into his eyes when getting out of the lodge (my towel must have grabbed a bit of dirt from the floor of the lodge) and he exploded on me, screaming and yelling like a maniac. Everyone just froze and looked at him like he was an axe murderer. He quickly realized he had just lost his sh*t over next to nothing, and quickly and quietly regathered his sanity, and whispered an apology to me. I don't know what that poor fellow might have gone through in his career with the CIA, but I never held it against him.

I'll always cherish my time on the road. I met a lot of interesting people, slept beneath the stars on occasion, ate good food, and had some amazing experiences, both good and bad. I miss it, I miss being young, and I hope there's one more trip left in my future, but the gas in the tank is starting to get a bit stale. I hope it's sooner, rather then later. You got to travel around the country at a prime time in history, while I was literally witnessing the last gasp of true freedom in America. I imagine traveling around in a post-911 world is quite different. So much has changed since then. I now regret not traveling to Europe when I had the chance. It was a mistake to only focus on America, but not a huge mistake or anything.

Beautiful stories.

I was a little more fortunate, as I had an old Bronco II and a pocket full of money on my travels out west and back. I met a few famous people along the way, found myself singing with a bunch of Indians at the Denver Powwow back in 1995. That was real honor, the drum's name was "Eagle Voice" and they needed an extra singer. I told my friend that I only knew sweat lodge songs, so he said to me, "Hold your hand on your ear and fake it!". Needless to say it was good advice, but somehow the words came to me and I didn't make a single mistake. It was quite an experience, singing with my Lakota friends, and in front of thousands of other Indian people from all over the country. I still laugh when I remember him telling me to "fake it", what a character he was!

I once found myself in Washington D.C., or on the outskirts, at a sweat lodge ceremony, where the owner of the lodge was a CIA agent. We were supposed to sweat with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn that night, but they never showed up. I'm not sure what happened with them, but I would have loved to have met Kurt Russel. Anyway, the CIA agent was a bit of a character, to say the least. I accidentally threw some dirt and sand into his eyes when getting out of the lodge (my towel must have grabbed a bit of dirt from the floor of the lodge) and he exploded on me, screaming and yelling like a maniac. Everyone just froze and looked at him like he was an axe murderer. He quickly realized he had just lost his sh*t over next to nothing, and quickly and quietly regathered his sanity, and whispered an apology to me. I don't know what that poor fellow might have gone through in his career with the CIA, but I never held it against him.

I'll always cherish my time on the road. I met a lot of interesting people, slept beneath the stars on occasion, ate good food, and had some amazing experiences, both good and bad. I miss it, I miss being young, and I hope there's one more trip left in my future, but the gas in the tank is starting to get a bit stale. I hope it's sooner, rather then later. You got to travel around the country at a prime time in history, while I was literally witnessing the last gasp of true freedom in America. I imagine traveling around in a post-911 world is quite different. So much has changed since then. I now regret not traveling to Europe when I had the chance. It was a mistake to only focus on America, but not a huge mistake or anything.

I went to a powwow at the Kahnawake reserve, just south of Montreal, and that was quite a sight to see. The dance competitions and costumes were simply spectacular. I wish I could have stayed a bit longer,, this is an annual event that goes on for a week I believe, but we only had a few hours available.

My youngest sister's husband (Kim) was a tech executive in Toronto, and he took a very early retirement, with a hefty severance package. My sister was into searching family roots at that time, and they discovered that his roots had a grandmother who was a full-blood native. He decided to dig into those roots, and he's now heavily involved in native culture, working with many tribal chiefs across western Canada.

Kim came for a visit a few years ago, and at one point, he did a ritual prayer, and the words and sentiments expressed in that prayer were shockingly beautiful and utterly sensible,,, thanking "Mother Earth" and the Spirits, the Creator,,,, I believe it was called the Smoke Prayer???? Very powerful words that everyone should get to the opportunity to hear.

I went to a powwow at the Kahnawake reserve, just south of Montreal, and that was quite a sight to see. The dance competitions and costumes were simply spectacular. I wish I could have stayed a bit longer,, this is an annual event that goes on for a week I believe, but we only had a few hours available.

My youngest sister's husband (Kim) was a tech executive in Toronto, and he took a very early retirement, with a hefty severance package. My sister was into searching family roots at that time, and they discovered that his roots had a grandmother who was a full-blood native. He decided to dig into those roots, and he's now heavily involved in native culture, working with many tribal chiefs across western Canada.

Kim came for a visit a few years ago, and at one point, he did a ritual prayer, and the words and sentiments expressed in that prayer were shockingly beautiful and utterly sensible,,, thanking "Mother Earth" and the Spirits, the Creator,,,, I believe it was called the Smoke Prayer???? Very powerful words that everyone should get to the opportunity to hear.
Yeah Bobby,

Native people are very interesting and their culture is fascinating. As for the prayer, it's probably something specific to that particular tribe. It really depends on whether or not they held onto their language or not. A few tribes in the lower 48 states actually use some Lakota songs and ceremonies because they either lost their language or lost their own ceremonies via the U.S. government kidnapping Indian children and forcing them into boarding schools, where their culture was erased from their minds. There were other problems that lead to a loss of language and culture, but the boarding schools were particularly nasty. If they spoke Indian they were usually beaten and punished.

I'm sure you're aware of it, as the Canadian government and the Catholic church treated the natives in a similar manner. It's a shame, there are some really devious and evil people out there, and unfortunately they often wind up in positions of power over other people. It's same old song and dance no matter where you go it seems.

Any idea what tribe your brother-in-law was related to?

You had some great experiences traveling across Canada. I was in Canada many years ago and I loved it. I traveled into Canada via Malone New York, went past Montreal and then into the interior, to some place called "Lac Echo". It was a good 25 miles out from a small village, and some guy living in a cabin on the bank of the lake took care of everything. He only spoke French, but he was a really nice guy. We had a great time in Canada. Everyone was very friendly and the camping up there blew away the campgrounds that we had in the states. Everything was cleaner and there was more space between each campsite.

-gray.

Yeah Bobby,

Native people are very interesting and their culture is fascinating. As for the prayer, it's probably something specific to that particular tribe. It really depends on whether or not they held onto their language or not. A few tribes in the lower 48 states actually use some Lakota songs and ceremonies because they either lost their language or lost their own ceremonies via the U.S. government kidnapping Indian children and forcing them into boarding schools, where their culture was erased from their minds. There were other problems that lead to a loss of language and culture, but the boarding schools were particularly nasty. If they spoke Indian they were usually beaten and punished.

I'm sure you're aware of it, as the Canadian government and the Catholic church treated the natives in a similar manner. It's a shame, there are some really devious and evil people out there, and unfortunately they often wind up in positions of power over other people. It's same old song and dance no matter where you go it seems.

Any idea what tribe your brother-in-law was related to?

You had some great experiences traveling across Canada. I was in Canada many years ago and I loved it. I traveled into Canada via Malone New York, went past Montreal and then into the interior, to some place called "Lac Echo". It was a good 25 miles out from a small village, and some guy living in a cabin on the bank of the lake took care of everything. He only spoke French, but he was a really nice guy. We had a great time in Canada. Everyone was very friendly and the camping up there blew away the campgrounds that we had in the states. Everything was cleaner and there was more space between each campsite.

-gray.

Regarding the residential schools, I believe over 4000 deaths have been confirmed so far, with estimates of a possible 6000 deaths. The majority of those confirmed cases was apperently caused by Tuberculosis. Roughly 700-800 cases of Spanish Flu. We'll probably never know how many died from suicides. This was truly a shameful period in Canada's history.

I have no idea what tribe Kim is with at the moment; he was apparently living on the north side of Vancouver Island, near a reserve there. I'm surprised there are so many native communities on Vancouver Island.

Regarding Lac Echo, that's not very far from where I live,,, probably a 90 minute drive. It's part of the Papineau-Labelle Wildlife Preserve. Turns out there are many lakes with the same name,,, one is an hour north of Montreal, and another Lake Echo in the Quebec Eastern Townships.

Hell yeah!

st
thats some good ****! but what about her first real big tune.

my oh fukn my.

i just wish could load up on psych... beep

**** yeah. i need it. we all know it.

gidge - dusk. this is from downunder and ultra its brutal. kicks in at 2:20 or so if you got the juice.

gidge also has a tune called norrland, and this is the most northern county in sweden but they have never been in norrlands
basically for stockholmers norrland is very farth north. i have lived in northern norway thouch and then "norrland" isn't that far.

but hey here we're going really djungle. dig! really brutal tune this one,
LETRA"Jardines (feat. Lido Pimienta)", de Chancha Vía Circuito

hey hey hey

Kraftwerk - Das Model

trade you for ' Autobahn' from their 3D gig, played (live?) at the Evoluon...I still wonder if I just saw them standing there or that they actually created sound.

trade you for ' Autobahn' from their 3D gig, played (live?) at the Evoluon...I still wonder if I just saw them standing there or that they actually created sound.

Should have laid off the LSD then 🥳

oooh i get knocked out. i almost have to suck my own fukn dick. and thatsd bad.

i think this is based of some sarah brigthman song.
almost certain i actually have that song on cd. bu then again last time i listened to cd was in like 2004 or so. so who really knows.
this is a good substitute. its actually awsome if you got the sound.

Back