What are we watching lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After they took "Chuck" off Netflix I bought the series on Blu-ray. Realized that out of the five GREAT seasons, I'd missed seasons 1 and 5 when it first aired.

Currently like "Seal Team".

Get DVD's at library 1$ for a whole week. I have donated old movies because use them a lot can look up flics on line and reserve them. I like to look for movies in air conditioning.

Found (Shoot to Kill) 1988 remember really liked that movie saw years ago. It is a gem known outside US as (Deadly Pursuit). Filmed in the Pacific Northwest wilderness. Sidney Potier as FBI agent, Tom Berenger must guide him into the wilderness after a ruthless diamond thief. Berenger's sweetheart Kristy Alley is a guide taking a group into wilds with the murderer hiding in the group.

Been trying to find more Terrence Malic movies (Thin Red Line) one of my favorite war flics. Going to check out (Badlands) library has it only Malic movie they have. Guess will have to go else where to find more of his movies.

Watched Badlands. He uses voice over for Sissy Spacek. It takes you into the childish mind of a 16 yr. old. Some of those older French movies used voice over as a tool to tie the script together.

I saw days of Heaven years ago give it a second look. Remember the visuals impressed me in that flic. I think Malic likes natural light almost poetic visuals with less chatter and a more introspective approach. Certainly he used that in a Thin Red Line. A sublime perfection in the horror of war.

Finished Too Old to Die Young. Mostly it was boring with some cool visuals, but the car chase with Barry Manilow's Mandy was absolutely amazing.

SPOILERS in below clip

Finished Too Old to Die Young. Mostly it was boring with some cool visuals, but the car chase with Barry Manilow's Mandy was absolutely amazing.

SPOILERS in below clip

Tried to watch this last week. Everything is so incredibly slow. I forced myself to watch full first episode, then started second and half way through I just deleted series from my watch list.

Guess I have to see the new Midway movie. I'm counting on good visual effects. My expectations are low after seeing the Pearl Harbor 2001 highly fictionalized version of Japanese attack. It was full of stupid short speech. The main character and love story interest fought with the British as a fighter pilot before Americans came into the war, was one of the few fighters to get up and shoot down Japanese planes during Pearl Harbor, then flies a B-25 bomber off the deck of the Hornet in the Doolittle raid. Kind of like Tom Cruise being the only battle survivor in the Last Samurai. The only good part of that flic was Kate Beckinsale eye candy.

It got bad reviews and was mentioned as worst picture of the year. Naturally it did well at the box office earning 450 million worldwide.

Tora! Tora! Tora! was best Pearl Harbor movie ever made. Japan filmed Japanese side, special effects were pretty good for 1970. Planes taking off at dawn from the carrier decks. It details the events that led up to the attack and the blunders that occurred on the American side. All really happened.

Midway 1976 not as good as Tora! Tora! There was footage taken from earlier movies. It did have good points like the code breaker scenes and Henry Fonda playing Admiral Chester Nimitz with lines like "But I want that forth carrier".

It conveys the heavy pressure & stress of the Japanese and American carrier commanders. With unsure scout reports and a enemy out of sight. Sweating it out. Destroy or be destroyed in the case of the Americans by a much larger Japanese force.

Recorded the Movie Alpha from TV. Really liked it My kind of flic:). Many TV movies I record delete after first 10 minutes some times get some good ones.

The Cinematography was awesome in Alpha. Credits said filmed in Canada & Iceland. That would explain the volcanic shots. 20,000 yrs. ago at end of last Ice Age. A young injured hunter is left for dead but survives. It is the story of bonding with a Wolf that he had knifed in a attack. Instead of killing it for food, he nurses it back to health. They learn to hunt as a team. It's a good story. Special effects were good not wasted in Transformer or Superhero movies flooding the market.

I watched the first season of Mad Men around 10 years ago. Couldn't really get into it. Didn't watch any more after that.

I'm giving it another go now. Finished season 1 yesterday. I'm generally enjoying it, though I must say that every single scene with Don's wife Betty is tedious beyond belief. An incredibly uninteresting character played by what seems to be a wet cardboard box in human form.

Starting season 2 soon. Hope it gets a little better. So far it's nowhere near the quality of Sopranos.

I watched the first season of Mad Men around 10 years ago. Couldn't really get into it. Didn't watch any more after that.

I'm giving it another go now. Finished season 1 yesterday. I'm generally enjoying it, though I must say that every single scene with Don's wife Betty is tedious beyond belief. An incredibly uninteresting character played by what seems to be a wet cardboard box in human form.

Starting season 2 soon. Hope it gets a little better. So far it's nowhere near the quality of Sopranos.
Ultimately I hate the underlying meaning of the show. Unless you’re into the idea of deconstructing and criticizing virtually everything Americana 1958-1970 you might feel the same.
However, the caveat is that there is serious plot development, unexpected character development and terrific acting throughout the series.

Sounds like what the Sopranos did with the late 90's and early 2000's. I love The Sopranos and I consider it to be the greatest tv show ever, but it too had to find its footing during the first season and a half, so I'm giving Mad Men some slack.

Back