What are we watching lately?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by oval99, Jun 22, 2017.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Sep 26, 2017 #121

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

That and the fact that America has zero experience in successfuly conquering another nation which would have been helpful.

2. Oct 10, 2017 #122

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Went and saw Blade Runner 2049.

I loved it. A perfect sequel in the very meaning of the word. Takes what worked in the original and built upon it, while at the same time working to fix the shortcomings. If this doesn't land Deakins an Oscar, nothing will. So far it's movie of the year for me, but Phantom Thread hasn't come out yet.

3. Oct 11, 2017 #123

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Having my head bent in by season 3 of Rick & Morty.

4. Oct 11, 2017 #124

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

I agree. So many terrible episodes this season.

5. Oct 11, 2017 #125

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Wait, so this show has a former glory?

6. Oct 11, 2017 #126

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Season 1 was alright overall, and season 2 I found slightly better. Season 3 has had maybe 2 decent episodes in my opinion.

As far as cartoons go, as a whole it's fine, if not a little too obnoxious regarding trying way too hard to be perceived as "super smart" with all the edgy throwaway teenage nihilism.

7. Oct 11, 2017 #127

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I'm probably content with archer syled nihilism.

8. Oct 12, 2017 #128

jessf

jessf

jessf

Blade Runner was excellent. Gosling has toned down that thousand yard stare he nailed in Only God Forgives.

9. Oct 12, 2017 #129

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I knew blade runner would be a great movie after reading it slumped at the box office. Most people don't have good tastes or just don't "get it".

10. Oct 12, 2017 #130

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

@Chef Doom if you look at the scripts for some of the better series, there is explicit and strict 5 act structure ... which might keep a motion picture from being even greater, but has likely kept many from utterly sucking.

11. Oct 13, 2017 #131

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Haha, I meant I'm really enjoying it. Granted, I'm only 4 episodes deep but I think Pickle Rick may be one of the best things I've ever seen. And I enjoy the throwaway nihilism precisely because it reminds of being a teenager.

12. Oct 13, 2017 #132

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Just watched The Fugitive for the first time in over ten years. I enjoyed it a lot.

13. Oct 25, 2017 #133

limpet

limpet

limpet

I know I've found a masterpiece (imo) when I can rewatch it several times in one week. Maybe I'm becoming old and sentimental, but I adore the movie Our Little Sister. Great feel-good movie, that also has some sad moments. Based on a manga.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3756788/

It's a story about three sisters that live together in their grandma's old house. Their father abandoned the family a long time ago for another woman. Their mother couldn't cope and left them as well. The oldest sister is the surrogate mom, feeling great responsibility for what's left of the family. The middle sister doesn't take anything seriously, drinks a lot of beer and ends up with useless boyfriends. The youngest sister is a kind of free spirit hipster.

The movie starts with the news that their father has died. They learn that they have a 15 year old half sister named Suzu. She's the daughter of the woman the father cheated with, but that woman has also passed away. At the funeral, the sisters decide to invite Suzu to move to their house and live with them.

Slowly we get to know these four sisters, bit by bit like a puzzle. There is an element of tension since Suzu has had fifteen years together with the father that abandoned the other three. Suzu feels ashamed that she's basically the result of adultery. The movie is a lot about parent-child relations, both at a young age and as we get older. It's also about the importance to not having to grow up too quickly, to have parent figures you can depend on, to have stability as a young person.

Beautifully filmed and edited. Great work with the camera. Great soundtrack. Great actors.

14. Nov 2, 2017 #134

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Saw a double feature of Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 yesterday.

Both seemed to have been dragged straight out of the 70's. Vince did a really good job too.

15. Nov 2, 2017 #135

K813zra

K813zra

K813zra

Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series

Not a lot going on that I am interested in this season and this is just another look at the same thing...but it is entertaining nonetheless.

Not much of a TV/Movie person. More of a short wave broadcast sort of guy but these days there is not much good to listen to.

16. Nov 3, 2017 #136

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Screw you Netflix and screw the producers of Stranger Things! Why oh why am I up at 1 A.M on a work night to watch this blatant knock off of IT and Firestarter? Damn the sleep gods for this evil curse!

17. Nov 6, 2017 #137

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

Went to see the latest Thor movie yesterday. Not much of a plot, but hey - it's a Thor movie so that's kinda expected. Fairly entertaining for the matinee price.

BUT what got me really excited is the trailer for Pacific Rim Uprising!!! Awesome special effects, bigger robots, and amazing editing. If the movie is even half as exciting as the trailer I'll be seeing it on the big screen a few times. Yea, I know - but it is the most awesome dumb robot movie ever.

18. Nov 6, 2017 #138

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Do you like the Transformer movies?

19. Nov 6, 2017 #139

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

Only sat fully through the first one. The special effects couldn't compensate enough for the awefull script and acting in the second. I mean yea, we are not expecting Oscar material but at least put in some effort.

20. Nov 7, 2017 #140

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

I would watch a Pacific Rim 5 part epic marathon before I stomach one more pathetic childhood memory ruining Transformers film

21. Nov 7, 2017 #141

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

I've just never seen fighting giant robot movies, so I was wondering if there was a difference in quality between Transformers and Pacific Rum.

22. Nov 7, 2017 #142

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

JMHO but Transformers failed in that it took itself too seriously and forgot is was supposed to be an awesomely stupid robot movie.

Pacific Rim never lost sight of that. Plus they kept the human element in the forefront so you got invested in the characters even as you were loving the over the top mecha and battle scenes. You know it was stupid and totally unbelievable, but were having so much pure fun watching it that you didn't care.

Add to that a soundtrack that somehow manages to merge heavy rock guitar and orchestral symphonies and it's just pure, awesome, mindless, entertainment.

23. Nov 7, 2017 #143

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

"heavy rock guitar and orchestral symphonies"

This is a dangerous taste, it can lead you to black metal.

24. Nov 10, 2017 #144

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Although Pacific Rim does not have the same monstrous budget it is still better paired with popcorn and sugar drinks in comparison

25. Nov 10, 2017 #145

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Also traditionaly in Transformers the human element was pretty neglegent where now they apply the 'We are in this together, cant succeed without us' plotlines which I feel is completely rediculous.

26. Dec 29, 2017 #146

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

I just saw Eyes Wide Shut again.

I liked it more this time.

27. Jan 1, 2018 #147

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

Blade Runner 2049. It was good but very slow paced. A few plot twists I didn't see coming. It was ok.

28. Jan 2, 2018 #148

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

We watched Blade Runner 2049 yesterday and it's an insult to the first movie. Everything.... happens.... in.... half.... time, it jumps around to much and leaves too much out and everything K does is so Deckard can meet his daughter? And Villeneuve needed almost 3 hours to tell that story? This abomination should never have been made. This movie goes to show that even a once respectable director like Scott will whore out for money.

29. Jan 2, 2018 #149

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

I don't agree at all. The original Blade Runner as also a very slow moving film with ambiguity. Remember the "enhance, zoom in" scene that is Deckard in a sofa looking a picture for 20 minutes? Nothing in this film is as slow as that, I know that much. I don't understand what you mean about jumping around, and "leaving things out" has forever been a staple of noir. Leaving things for the viewer to think over is a good thing for what is in basis a noir detective film.

*Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers**Spoilers*

K has a character arc over the course of the movie starting with him being basically a drone with a hint of longing for more. The second he gets an idea of the possibility of him being special in any sort of way, being born and having a mother and father who wanted him, he wants nothing more in the world than to meet them. After finding out that he was not special, but rather just the automaton he feared he always was, he decides to break the mold. This is happens in the scene where he is standing on the bridge and the giant generic Joi hologram calls him Joe, a name he thought to be unique to him. This scene can be used to interpret many things about his relationship to Joi, but they all mean that while he knows nothing can be done for himself at this point, that experience of being reunited with long-lost parents is something he can do for someone else, a going above his original programming for a higher calling. Instead of joining the rebellion and killing Deckard, he saves his life so that others can have the one thing that K himself had been longing for. It was the greatest thing he could have given his life for, and he dies knowing that.

In simple terms, everything K did during the film up to around the last 20 minutes was for selfish reasons, which then shift into selfless reasons after a revelation. I don't see how one can hate that as a character arc and call it an abomination. It's more than what Deckard had in the original. Luv was also quite an interesting character regarding how Wallace kept her effective through high narcissism and needing to be loved by others. K rejects her advances and she turns into a sadist for it, even boasting the proclamation "I'm the best" after thinking she stabbed him to death at the sea wall.

With all this and the beautiful score, set design and cinematography, the best acting Harrison Ford has done in 20 years, and the Joi ambiguity ideas, I think it's a shame that you found it boring and long and took nothing away from it.

30. Jan 2, 2018 #150

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

Well, I found it boring and uninteresting. Nothing you can do about it.