What are we watching lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love that glamour shot limpet. I've wanted to get more into Lang after being blown away by how timely M still is. I'm not afraid of silent films (recently saw MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA, and THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC is one of my all-time faves), so I'll have to check that one out.

I'll have to think twice about The Sopranos then; that's high praise.

Trust me, this isn't undue praise. The Sopranos deserves every word of it.
d0ec81e06f3fe5bcb14c.png

I'm watching Futurama from season 1, episode 1 AGAIN! Best 📺 series ever*, I just wish they would start making new episodes, it's the only series I want to resume...again.

*The opinions expressed here are those of Sillywizard and Sillywizard's alone
...unless, of course, somebody else shares them...

I'm not the biggest cartoon watcher, but have you seen Rick and Morty? I've been hearing a lot of Futurama comparisons.

I'm not the biggest cartoon watcher, but have you seen Rick and Morty? I've been hearing a lot of Futurama comparisons.

Yo, I watch Rick and Morty, it has a very high intelligence factor as well, but it can be very crude.
Futurama is a cut above everything else. I'm hoping HBO or Netflix picks it up and produces new seasons of it!

As long as Family Guy never sees the light of day ever again I'll be happy. What a cheap, POS show that was. Now Futurama and the first 15 years of the Simpsons...pure gold.

Yo, I watch Rick and Morty, it has a very high intelligence factor as well, but it can be very crude.
Futurama is a cut above everything else. I'm hoping HBO or Netflix picks it up and produces new seasons of it!

High intelligence factor? Do you mean for a cartoon or overall?

And what's wrong with being crude?

As long as Family Guy never sees the light of day ever again I'll be happy. What a cheap, POS show that was. Now Futurama and the first 15 years of the Simpsons...pure gold.

The Simpsons was only good from season 3 to 8. It's amazing how it turned into complete garbage after that 5 year sprint.

Our Hawaiian Tel. package has quite a few movie channels that show older films. Don't mind B&W stepping back in time. Spencer Tracy became one of my favorite actors just watching old movies. Some nice gals too.

I search movies if looks decent tape it. I end up deleting most after first 5 minutes. You can find some gems. Agree that good movies today are few & far between.

I'm watching Futurama from season 1, episode 1 AGAIN! Best 📺 series ever*

Futurama ROCKED for the first run (3 seasons I think?). Funny, very clever, and with that acidic Groening humor to tie it all together. I especially liked the one where Fry gets stuck in that mental asylum for robots with Bender. "The only disks I'll accept are Oreos -- and then only in the mouth!" And who doesn't love Zoidberg, the crustacean humanoid doctor with the accent and mannerisms of a NY Jew? I lost track of it after that, but I'm glad Comedy Central revived it anyway.

I have to stick up for Family Guy. The first four seasons or so had some real belly laughs. Kind of like a cartooon version of "Married with Children" (another guilty pleasure). But it tanked fast: now it's just lazy and mean-spirited.

I also agree with you that (roughly) the first 15 years of The Simpsons was gold. Because I'm a hopeless Simpsons geek, I'll give you my breakdown, complete with gratuitous knife metaphors!

-Seasons 3-8: golden age. Like a Murray Carter knife or a Shigefusa. You're in awe of the craft.
-Seasons 9-10: silver age. Still a beautiful blade that sings, like a Takamura Hana Damascus.
-Seasons 11-13: Bronze Age. Well, it ain't as pretty as the other knives in the rack and it certainly doesn't feel as special, but it still gets the job done better than a Western knife.
-Seasons 14-present: tin (that means garbage. It's still called The Simpsons, but it ain't the Simpsons). Pure Cutco. DULL Cutco.

-The great thing about the later seasons is the elastic nature of the episodes: they got looser and the self-referential humor was great. Case in point: the "behind the laughter" ep, and that bit where Homer's in the hammock reading "Blue Pants Monthly":rofl2:

A note to film fans and Apple TV owners: DVD/Blu-Ray company Shout! Factory has its own channel. Now featured is a bunch of vintage Dick Cavett interviews with musicians, comedians, and film personalities. The film ones are amazing: Orson Welles, Bette Davis, Robert Mitchum, Katherine Hepburn and many more. My favorites are Welles and especially Hepburn. This was probably the only video interview Hepburn did, and it's a stunner. It clocks in at over 2 hours and I never realized what a fascinating and strong lady she was. There will never be another one like her. Talk shows today? Puh-leeze. It's just a way for airhead celebrities to plug their newest movie/album/whatever. THIS was when tv TALKED. See it on youtube below:

[video=youtube;eYOS2hSgi7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOS2hSgi7g[/video]

A ton of good points there. I largely just "showroom" most of my viewing now via streaming (Netflix/iTunes/Vudu/Filmstruck) and only if I really love a film will I buy it. I've also swung back to a lot of classics. One thing that stands the test of time with them is the incredible writing. And the editing. A filmmaker told me that Hollywood has forgotten how to edit ever since those nonlinear editing decks came into fashion in the '80s. Now the editing is so rat-tat-tat that it's more like strobing. There's no sense of movement and rhythm (or even coherence -- see the Bourne sequels for that). Look at an old Hollywood musical: the camera stays mostly still so you can see THE ACTORS MOVE, not the camera. Hong Kong beat Hollywood at its own game in the late 70s-90s by understanding that the camera should stay still to allow the martial artists to steal the show. I remember reading about how disappointed Jackie Chan was when he came to the US for the first time to shoot THE PROTECTOR. He was so excited to work in Hollywood, the land of the musicals that he loved as a kid. He was so disappointed when he realized how far Hollywood had fallen, and realized that Hong Kong filmmakers made the best movies.

Agree, mostly. Though I wouldn't say Hong Kong movies are better by default. What's interesting is that many big action/adventure movies made in Hollywood are now being targeted at the growing Chinese 3D Cinema market. Such pesky things as "script" and "screenplay" would just be lost in translation so who cares? :|

Here's an entertaining and educational clip about editing that picks apart Sucicide Squad. :)

[video=youtube;mDclQowcE9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDclQowcE9I[/video]

No edutainment/film criticism I've seen has surpassed that of Red Letter Media's Mr. Plinkett Star Wars reviews. Highly recommended.

@Damage I think the interesting thing about Better Call Saul is that you get a protagonist which fits a stereotype that is *usually* (not here) kicked from deus ex machina to deus ex machina in comedy. Thoroughly subverted. A comedic protagonist left with full agency, now that is a chimp with a machine gun :)

Hit the nail on the head.

I never really believed in Walter White's journey from a wimp to a ruthless killer. It seemed so forced and unnatural. Jimmy becoming Saul is much more believable.

The funny thing is that when I heard they were doing a Saul Goodman spin-off, I thought it was gonna be a 1 case per week comedy show where Saul goes through lawyer-y hijinks with wacky/sketchy clients. I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a high quality character drama.

I'm gonna laugh my a** off if the first image of season four is Jimmy pulling a burnt chuck-roast out of the oven before getting a phone call.

Most recently watched Moana and before that There Will Be Blood for the tenth time.

Most recently watched Moana and before that There Will Be Blood for the tenth time.

I was at a screening of There Will Be Blood a few weeks back in Copenhagen. Amazing to see it for the first time on film projection and not digital.

Ahhh ... how could I forget "Nobunaga no chef" (the dorama version based on the manga). Super wack pretext, but ... the japanese put so much dramaturgy and camera work into a TV production?

[SUB][/SUB]
I was at a screening of There Will Be Blood a few weeks back in Copenhagen. Amazing to see it for the first time on film projection and not digital.

hands down my favorite film. DDL is a master. No Country for Old Men comes a close second.

[SUB][/SUB]

hands down my favorite film. DDL is a master. No Country for Old Men comes a close second.

2007 must have been a good year for you.

Have you seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford?

Any sci fi fans out there ?
I came across The Expanse recently, one of the best sci fi series I've seen.

Other than that, with kids at the age that mine are, it's mainly been Peppa Pig, Octonauts, Shaun the Sheep, Thomas and Friends etc for the last 6-7 years.

I've got into Moana. But like a lot.

The Bridge original Swedish/Danish

Black Mirror - all you TZ heads need this in your life. But like, reaaaaally need this.

Stranger Things - Where have you been if you haven't seen it

Mr. Robot

Rewatching The Wire

Archer

Peep Show

I debated whether I should write it down but fuqit, Riverdale. And I'm weirdly compelled

Haha. I have been asking myself is 8 to 12 weeks old too early for Despicable Me 3. :D

I actually did some amazing film watching when my oldest was that age because I'd just sit with her trying to get her to sleep for hours at a time. Watched some crazy stuff like Tree of Life and Antichrist

Kinda grim watching Antichrist with your young child in the room.

That's like sitting down and watching Mulholland Drive with your depressed failed actress friend.

Latest posts

Back