What are we watching lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must have seen all 80s movies at least once I reckon.. :) But, like music, sometimes the films you thought were okay or just good at the time turn out to be the ones that can stand the test of time. Or at least that haven't been overwatched..

Actually I saw The Right Stuff a few weeks ago, coincidentally the weekend before that famous pilot (Chuck Yeager) died. The first 90 minutes of this movie is really good.

Then last weekend I saw Terminator 2, which looking back now was far ahead of its time in 1991 I believe.

Will check out the samurai trilogy, perhaps I've seen them already but gonna look. Thanks for the tip!

is this thread dead?

watching Homeland now, in S4. I have to say i was expecting cliches and stereotypes, and am happily surprised that so far it has been really good, very nuanced.

If you need to fill the nerdy sci-fi void left in your heart after finishing the killer remake of "Battlestar Galactica," try "The Expanse"
also in sci fi, we finished the series, "12 Monkeys" which takes that movie and turns it into a wild ride, it was good from start to finish.

HBO's series "The Watchmen" was sublime, albeit a bit confusing for a while. "True Detective" S1 and S3 was some of the best TV out there. The seasons are unrelated, S2 wasn't as horrible as it was panned, but was certainly not in the same league as S1 and S3.

Fargo, again the series, is compelling, we've done the first two seasons and enjoyed them.

"The Americans," we found great. "Broadchurch" if you need a good British police procedural.

On the sillier side, "The Marvelous Miss Maisel" "Catastrophe" and "The Santa Clarita Diet" will get you some laughs.

Then there is this:

Miss Maisel is very good indeed, wasn’t expecting that. Same writers as Gilmore Girls I believe, standout writing. Overall I’m in a rut watching series and movies - lockdown fatigue I think. Really getting bored with most movies and series.

Just started watching Fargo the series, so far (s1e3) still okay. Finished complete series of The Mentalist for the second time, very good but could have been better. Deutschland was also good, only seen series 1 so far. Suits also very good, saw final season. Dix pour cent also highly recommended just like Fran Lebowitz’ Pretend it’s a city.

Rewatched some old movies too. Once upon a time in America, Saturday Night Fever (holds up well), Antonioni’s L’eclisse, Three days of the condor, Kramer vs Kramer (excellent).

I could really use a tip for a Poirot like series - anyone?

is this thread dead?

watching Homeland now, in S4. I have to say i was expecting cliches and stereotypes, and am happily surprised that so far it has been really good, very nuanced.

"The Americans," we found great. "Broadchurch" if you need a good British police procedural.

i liked the first 2 seasons of the americans. then it kinda went to crap.

homeland was good for the first 3-4 seasons or so.

i think mr robot was very good. the whole series.

true detective season 1.

quarry from 2016. only 1 season.

then after that i haven't found anything really good. ymmv.

Finished complete series of The Mentalist for the second time, very good but could have been better. Deutschland was also good, only seen series 1 so far. Suits also very good, saw final season.
My wife and I both loved The Mentalist up until they finished the Red John bit, then I guess it lost its magic for most fans of the show because it got canned not long after that, too bad, I probably would have kept watching. "House" is a little like the mentalist, solving medical mysteries instead of crimes, both main characters are savants and both are pretty much dicks. :)

I forgot about the lawyer shows, we both have a penchant for those too, enjoyed Suits, The Goodwife, Boston Legal, and etc.

Past few months I've just been watching The Wire, The Sopranos, and Mad Men on repeat.

Still enjoying it.

Let’s do some short clips instead. My youtube algoritm suggested this. Such a classic.. :)

Recently watched Terrence Malick's A Hidden Life. Like some other of his movies have to use English subtitles to catch the dialogue & use of
voice overs that are a part of his style

After saw A Thin Red Line that was based on James Jones novel, I have watched most of his
Movies.

Just watched Norwegian movie. (12th Man)

True story of Jan Baalsrud only survivor of sabotage mission. The Norwegians that risked their lives to get him to safety.

Pretty intense movie.

Try again😯 Daniel Day Lewis in There will be Blood. About oil man starts 1897. I saw this movie over 10 years ago really liked it. Thought
Lewis was brilliant. He is no lightweight 6 best
actor nominations winning three times including this film. I saw it on Netflix enjoyed it
again.

I saw the film Pig with Nic Cage and I enjoyed it a lot. About a former chef who is trying to find his pet truffle pig.

Premise sounds a bit wacky but it's actually quite an atmospheric and somber film.

Malignant was the worst movie I've seen in a very long time. Stay away.

Since have UTube on TV watched the Wilder- Tyson Fury 3. Was a good heavyweight fight.

Also watched his family origins as Gypsy's in
England & tradition of boxing going back to grandfather who was bare fist fighter.

He is so big 6'9" & heavy but moves well & has speed for a big man.

Since have UTube on TV watched the Wilder- Tyson Fury 3. Was a good heavyweight fight.

Also watched his family origins as Gypsy's in
England & tradition of boxing going back to grandfather who was bare fist fighter.

He is so big 6'9" & heavy but moves well & has speed for a big man.

Yes, an interesting fight. Wilder looked much better this time than in his previous fights but he still isn't a particularly skilled boxer. I'm assuming that Usyk will beat Joshua again in their rematch. A Fury - Usyk fight, if it happens, should be interesting. Fury has a very substantial size and reach advantage and a better ring IQ than Joshua but Usyk is immensely skilled. He is probably the only one among the current heavyweights that has a chance of beating Fury (assuming Fury can keep it together mentally/emotionally).

Yes Wilder has been able to erase opponents
because of his power, not needing the sweet science of being a skilled boxer. Fury figured out how to fight him after first battle with Wilder.

I first heard of Usyk when he won rounds in I believe cruiser weight to win the Ali trophy.

Lennox Lewis was a heavyweight with good skills and ring IQ. One of the greats in heavy weight division.

Ride Like a Girl true story about Michelle Payne
Only woman to ever win Melbourne cup in 2015.

Sam Neill played the Father. Looked up the real
Michell Payne, the movie was true to life in the major events of her life.

Janice wanted to watch another Sam Neill movie she heard popular in New Zealand when she was there in 2015. A Satire Comedy
Wilderpeople. It was pretty funny.

Always liked Sam Neill thought he was New Zealander. Actually born in Northern Ireland, family moved to NZ when he was very young.

Sucker for any Nautical movies he has been in some good ones like Dead Calm, & Hunt for Red October.

So... Been rewatching The Mandalorian. Quality tv, one of the best series of the past few years imho. Funny, because I don't like any of the other Disney series at all: couldn't even go through a single episode of Loki.

Another series I've been rewatching: Six feet under. I remember enjoying the show, but it was a lomg time ago since I saw it. And then 2 months ago there was a great article on it in The Guardian, tempting me to rewatch it. And so far it still holds its own very well. Quality tv! Six Feet Under: 20 years on, the drama set in a family funeral home still feels ahead of its time

Last edited:
Back