What are we watching lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been a movie buff since VCR and video rental stores. Started when a co worker gave me a thick paperback book with thousands of movies with directors section which I found very useful.

Then DVD I've donated part of my collection to Hawaii library system because check out plenty books & DVD from them. DVD one dollar for a week. I can reserve books & movies on my phone & pick up at certain library. I like international movies with sub titles too.

With covid & streaming services the norm these
days think seeing the demise of DVD & Blu Ray

Haven't kept up with Star Wars movies I know Disney is cranking them out after paying George Lucas a fortune for the rights.

There are lot of great older movies not on streaming that I know of. Then again have found some good ones that are available on free streaming services like tubi.

When brother installed a Roku stick on our big not smart TV so much with Netflic, PBS, UTube,
even without paying for services like Disney + . I make sure I have a good book to read we both use library a lot. So not staring into screens all the time.🤪

Only Murders in the Building <HULU starring Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez> was so much better than I expected it to be, probably the best TV I've seen in a long time, certainly the best comedy since Veep <note on Veep, very funny, but gets very very dark>

So... Been rewatching The Mandalorian. Quality tv, one of the best series of the past few years imho. Funny, because I don't like any of the other Disney series at all: couldn't even go through a single episode of Loki.

Another series I've been rewatching: Six feet under. I remember enjoying the show, but it was a lomg time ago since I saw it. And then 2 months ago there was a great article on it in The Guardian, tempting me to rewatch it. And so far it still holds its own very well. Quality tv! Six Feet Under: 20 years on, the drama set in a family funeral home still feels ahead of its time
Six Feet Under is memory lane for me. It was filmed in the city I spent the first 8 years of my life in.

Since got Netflic's stayed away from series after being hooked on Outlander from Starz for how many years now. Remembered Peaky Blinders mentioned on this thread. Had first five seasons. I'm a succer for period movies.
Some of it is over the top with the use of fire blast to accent gritty early 20th century industrial raw. The sets are great I notice all the stain glass lamps. The acting is pretty good. Sam Neill was excellent as the ruthless major
Campbell. Didn't know that much about Gypsy culture only what have seen in movies. Read about Tyson Fury the Gypsy King. Fact is better than fiction. Descended from bare knuckle fighters. So the Gypsy fighter part of Peaky Blinders was true to life. Just finished 4th season🤪

I have been watching Squid game lately. Really enjoyed it.
It's an OK series but IMO it's overated. It follows some hollywood codes then you know precisely who is going to survive and also, since Usual Suspect, you know that in this genre, you should expect something from the character that was made for most viewers to expect the less.
I do not pretend that I seen everything coming but it's based on old recipes.

I've been watching Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime. Not bad. Falls somewhere between Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones in terms of grittiness. Production values are really high; there is a lot of eye candy. Acting and characters are pretty decent, too. It's worth a look, IMO.

It's an OK series but IMO it's overated. It follows some hollywood codes then you know precisely who is going to survive and also, since Usual Suspect, you know that in this genre, you should expect something from the character that was made for most viewers to expect the less.
I agree, especially with regards to the ending. But I think this stands out from others in the genre because of the production quality. There are definitely better shows/movies that are similar but they aren’t as well shot.

I've been watching Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime. Not bad. Falls somewhere between Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones in terms of grittiness. Production values are really high; there is a lot of eye candy. Acting and characters are pretty decent, too. It's worth a look, IMO.

Im on the fence. I read a few of the early books as a kid.

Does it follow the books decently closely?

Been watching Yellowstone, didn’t like it at first but now I’m hooked. Wheel of time is ok not great but sometimes these things start out a little slow. My daughter turned me on to Arcane the animated series on Netflix, that was pretty good but a little disturbing lol. If you like raunchy humor The Great was all that and more.

I read somewhere that younger folks are skipping cable because with smart TV streaming is either free or much cheaper.

I read somewhere that younger folks are skipping cable because with smart TV streaming is either free or much cheaper.
I haven't watched TV in something like 10 years. The only time I use the TV is to mirror whatever I'm playing on my phone. Netflix, crunchyroll, etc. I usually watch on my computer.

There aren't enough "younger folks" to account for the decline, it's everyone:

Cord cutting has grown since 2015 | Pew Research Center

"The share of Americans who say they watch television via cable or satellite has plunged from 76% in 2015 to 56% this year, according to a new Pew Research Center survey of U.S. adults."

39 percent of adults have NEVER had a cable subscription. I last had one in 1994.

From that Pew report as age go up less cord cutting 65+ the least.

I used to work a lot & free time surfing etc. Not much TV. From 1980's a move buff had tape player then DVD. Video stores all over.

How times have changed.

Idk, I don’t think the question of who’s gonna survive is the point. I mean, obviously the main character is likeliest to will, but it’s more about the ride, and watching the characters change along the way. I didn’t regard it as a mystery show at all. Anyway, I liked it. :)

Finally dumped cable in Nov, streaming is the way to go, more content/less money out the door.
First thing I did was binge watch Yellowstone. Love me some Teeter, lol.

I enjoyed it... but I understand the mixed reviews. Man... I loved the recurring gag about the General and the snacks...

... almost worth watching the movie just for that 🤣
That satire Comedy about our social media culture was loaded with quips. I liked when the guy was degrading the gal for having the same name as the comet. That she discovered 🤪

Going to start with Succession season 3 later this week. Season 2 ended great. Also been (re)watching Lupin (netflix, it’s good fun), 6 feet under season 1, Mandalorian second time, and yes Don’t look up.

I liked Mare of Easttown after 2 episodes in or so. It's like a European style US series, that is a bit slow burning and dark, but still very much American.

Have finished Cobra Kai, surprisingly fun.

Rewatched Gomorra season 4 in anticipation of the new season: probably the best TV I've ever seen. It works on so many levels: artistically in things like music, lighting and pacing, but also societal issues like the Italian political and economic difficulties, relationships with partners, friends and family.

Still need to start Succession season 3. I know it's going to be lit so kinda enjoying the anticipation! :)

Just started watching Seaside Hotel streaming on PBS. 8 seasons we are just on season one.
It is a Danish series. One that Janice & I can enjoy. Lucky we both like original language with subtitles when watching non English movies.

Makes me wonder how language is connected, old Norse languages are connected to England through invasion in longships. German has connection to Scandinavian countries as well as England.

Back