What are you cutting cardboard boxes from online shopping with?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used foldng utility knives for years. But about 5 years ago I got this. Kershaw 1920. I use the screwdrivers at least as often as I use the blade.

PXL_20220113_152003903.jpg

OFFTOPIC: @Brian Weekley I wonder why you keep the sticker on the TF...Let it go, man! You would never resell such a diamond, so what's the need to keep it?!?🥳
I would even go further and challenge you - remove it ritually and show us how you do it...:popcorn2:

My Denka still wears its sticker. That's an important part of the wabi sabi.

OFFTOPIC: @Brian Weekley I wonder why you keep the sticker on the TF...Let it go, man! You would never resell such a diamond, so what's the need to keep it?!?🥳
I would even go further and challenge you - remove it ritually and show us how you do it...:popcorn2:
Great spot. The TF that you’re seeing is one of about a half dozen TF’s that I bought to learn about TF’s and their wabi sabi for myself. I used nothing but the TF’s for about six months. The result will be contained in my upcoming TF Chronicles report. I will also be selling several of my TF’s so the sticker has to stay until I decide which ones get kicked off the island.

kiridashi or a pocket knife.

I have some fixed blades if a package is resistant enough to opening that I could theoretically hurt myself but that's super uncommon.

240mm Tsourkan WH :) Not really. I typically carry either a Spyderco PM2 Maxamet or a Chris Reeve large 21 Insingo so they are used for pretty much anything including cutting boxes.

Most of the time I typically just rip them up by hand so they fit in the recycle bin which is faster.

I use pocket knives. If you do decide to test those waters, I highly recommend keeping it simple. Stay away from liner locks and such and look to a good ole mid-back lock. They lock up solid, feel secure, and are easy and safe to operate. The Spyderco Dragonfly2 Wharncliffe would be excellent here (and was partially designed just for this) provided you can have a locking folder. Very small and approachable.

Other than that, I'm actually not a big fan of box cutters for, um, cutting boxes... Of course the thin blades work great for it and if you're on a table or something then it isn't as much an issue but people naturally tend to cut in an arc and that short blade isn't very forgiving. If she's putting some force behind it and the short blade slips out, that's not good.

Cardboard is highly abrasive and will dull even the highest edge retention steel with some regularity so I just choose not to fight that part of it. A good thin blade is your friend here and I like the inexpensive pairing knife idea. You can often find them in multi-packs.

I'm not advocating this particular site just using it as an example:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-3-1-4-neon-straight-edge-paring-knife-pack/220KNPARPK5.html
Put a piece of foam in the bottom of a cup or something and toss them in there tip down. She has some to rotate through.

And also, I absolutely don't intend this to sound demeaning, but make sure she has good cutting technique. Tip angled down about 45 degrees and cutting on at least the back half of the blade.

Thanks, I appreciate the good advice.

Spyderco PM2 in k390 most often, smaller boxes even with Spyderco Urban (also k390). I have considered the Spyderco Watu for this (thinner blade == less resistance), but apparently I have too many knives already ...
For cardboard, I use Spyderco PM2 in 10V, Urban K390, police K390 or Spyderco Mule in maxamet. Hmmm, I am sensing a theme here.....

Cheapo little plastic box cutter in the kitchen drawer for cutting the tape on boxes (it’s small, light, and doesn’t take much room), and a more robust metal-body box cutter for the cardboard.

@Barmoley - Yes I also see a theme :) BTW I have a Maxamet Mule that I've not put to use much so it sounds like it needs to take down some wine boxes this weekend.
Do it, it was made for it. Let it fulfill it's purpose and reason for existence.

I need to cut more cardboard this weekend too. Mule blade is of good shape and size for this and maxamet works well for cardboard.

Definitely pocket knives for me: Benchmade 940 or a Spyderco Spydiechef for work (restaurant line), and there's always an Opinel no. 8 Garden in the kitchen for packages, tape, etc.

My lady always uses scissors to open boxes, and it makes me sad to know she's missing out on the simple joy of having the right tool for the job literally inches away. So it goes.

I use one of these. Nothing fancy, and it takes standard disposable utility blades
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Hand-Tools/Cutting/Knives-and-Blades/48-22-1502
I carry one every day
I also use the fastback daily, I put a serrated blade in it ( “Husky” avail at HD) it lasts longer and works great on cardboard.

The best. And a flipper too. I'm going to stock up on a bunch in case they stop making them. Hard to beat for 9 bucks (used to be $7!).
I'd recommend this one without the wire-stripper cut out in the handle through (unless you're stripping a lot of wire...):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...th-General-Purpose-Blade-48-22-1500/309350776

I use whichever knife is in my pocket. Because it's in my pocket. About 90% of the time, it's a Spyderco of some steel or other.

I like to have a bunch of different steels in my pocketknives, which keeps me from being tempted by kitchen knives in exotic steels.

The best. And a flipper too. I'm going to stock up on a bunch in case they stop making them. Hard to beat for 9 bucks (used to be $7!).
I'd recommend this one without the wire-stripper cut out in the handle through (unless you're stripping a lot of wire...):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...th-General-Purpose-Blade-48-22-1500/309350776
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...th-General-Purpose-Blade-48-22-1500/309350776I agree! I never found the wire stripper useful, but that version is longer and more comfortable in the hand.

I like some weight cutting up boxes
IMG_20220114_175242549.jpg

I also strip off the tape & labels. If staples cut the strip out. Then cut up the box put in recycle
bin. I researched it says recycle places appreciate that step makes job easier tho they have chemical ways to separate tape because
Most people don't do it. I'm pretty fast at stripping tape & don't want to get sticky stuff on my sharp carbon blade.

Fold, fold, fold. I only cut the tape with a pocket knife, cheap parer, or scissors. Then smash and/or fold, throw in the trunk of the car, take to recycling center. No cardboard cutting required.

If I had a really large box, like an appliance box, I would probably use a Sawsall type of cordless tool to get it into the trunk.

I use the nearest fairly sharp or pointy object to only cut the tape. Kitchen knives are not needed or allowed to join the party.

Back