what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abrelour is defently better value and maybe overall. A'bunadh and 16 are super interesting to my taste.

If you liked the A'bunadh, you may also like the Glenfarclas 105. 60% ABV. Fasten your seatbelt. :) Like the A'bunadh, the 105 is also a NAS. (no age statement) whisky.

Last edited:
Balvenie 21-year-old. Now you are talking my scotch. The price just keeps going up.

How much $$$ in your neck of the woods? Here in Quebec, where we have the privilege of paying more taxes than any other jurisdiction in North America,,,, it's a paltry $421. CDN for the 21.y.o. Balvenie Portwood. I simply refuse to go there. Here, all liquor sales are through government outlets.

If you liked the A'bunadh, you may also like the Glenfarclas 105. 60% ABV. Fasten your seatbelt. :) Like the A'bunadh, the 105 is also a NAS. (no age statement) whisky.

When drinking higher ABV or Cask strength i'm usually adding a few drops of water🤭

I like Abrelour it just not seem to have a lot of depth. I do buy a bottle from time to time.
How much $$$ in your neck of the woods? Here in Quebec, where we have the privilege of paying more taxes than any other jurisdiction in North America,,,, it's a paltry $421. CDN for the 21.y.o. Balvenie Portwood. I simply refuse to go there. Here, all liquor sales are through government outlets.

About $260. It was a little over $200 a couple of years ago. Some places have jumped to $299 already. So I figure it is going up again.

There are a lot of good Burbon's out there that need to be drunk for less money.

As hot as it is now in Texas it is a good time for Rum and ice.

When drinking higher ABV or Cask strength i'm usually adding a few drops of water🤭

At the scotch tasting they give you a short straw for water. You put your straw in the water and put your figure over it as this transfers a few drops to your glass. This was all pre covid.

For the release of Guaiacol,,,,Yep, I should experiment a bit more, but I have seldom added water, mostly because I'm concerned that I may over-dilute. Silly. When I serve guests however, I generally add a side glass of filtered water, with a "wee spuune" as Ralphy would say.

For the release of Guaiacol,,,,Yep, I should experiment a bit more, but I have seldom added water, mostly because I'm concerned that I may over-dilute. Silly. When I serve guests however, I generally add a side glass of filtered water, with a "wee spuune" as Ralphy would say.

you're 100% spot on, it's exactly the way I serve my whiskey

Willett Bourbon is one that stands out to me that does not require any drops of water. I drink it straight. I don't like it if you add ice as it becomes too watered down.

About the only time I added ice to whisky, is with some of the blended Scotch whiskies,,, Johnny Walker, Ballantine, Chivas Regal, Dewar's Ne Plus Ultra, White & Mackay, St. Leger etc. That's when I'm looking for something cool, light, and refreshing, or as a light night-cap. I'll pour a 1/2 shot over ice, and add club soda. While some of those whiskies, especially some of the current releases of those brands, may not be optimal,,,, the "right" combination can be quite pleasant, imparting a hint of walnuts. Of those mentioned, the Dewar's Ne Plus Ultra and the St. leger were usually my preferred choices, and Ballantine was quite nice also. It's been a longggggg time since I've tried those however. I did try a Johnny Walker Red a while back, and was shocked at how much the quality had declined compared to bottlings from the '70's and '80's. Same can be said about Smirnoff vodka, and to me the biggest shocker of all, is the decline of Cointreau, followed by Grand Marnier. Noilly Prat was also "THE" classic dry vermouth for martini's, and they went and changed the taste profile for "The American market". Garbage. I also kept a bottle of Moskovskaya vodka in the freezer for vodka martini's, and it no longer has the taste and character it once had. Chill-filtering has rendered some of these products completely tasteless.

My picks for pleasant-surprise, would have to be El Jimador Anejo tequila, and The Dark Horse Canadian Rye Whisky. Alberta Premium is another very good Canadian Rye Whiskey, especially for the price.

About the only time I added ice to whisky, is with some of the blended Scotch whiskies,,, Johnny Walker, Ballantine, Chivas Regal, Dewar's Ne Plus Ultra, White & Mackay, St. Leger etc. That's when I'm looking for something cool, light, and refreshing, or as a light night-cap. I'll pour a 1/2 shot over ice, and add club soda. While some of those whiskies, especially some of the current releases of those brands, may not be optimal,,,, the "right" combination can be quite pleasant, imparting a hint of walnuts. Of those mentioned, the Dewar's Ne Plus Ultra and the St. leger were usually my preferred choices, and Ballantine was quite nice also. It's been a longggggg time since I've tried those however. I did try a Johnny Walker Red a while back, and was shocked at how much the quality had declined compared to bottlings from the '70's and '80's. Same can be said about Smirnoff vodka, and to me the biggest shocker of all, is the decline of Cointreau, followed by Grand Marnier. Noilly Prat was also "THE" classic dry vermouth for martini's, and they went and changed the taste profile for "The American market". Garbage. I also kept a bottle of Moskovskaya vodka in the freezer for vodka martini's, and it no longer has the taste and character it once had. Chill-filtering has rendered some of these products completely tasteless.

My picks for pleasant-surprise, would have to be El Jimador Anejo tequila, and The Dark Horse Canadian Rye Whisky. Alberta Premium is another very good Canadian Rye Whiskey, especially for the price.

That is an interesting observation I have wondered about for a while now....I was at a point where I assumed my taste memory had gone to mush.

That is an interesting observation I have wondered about for a while now....I was at a point where I assumed my taste memory had gone to mush.

Yes Marcel, I think anyone who experienced the original Cointreau, especially in the '70's and '80's, would be shocked and saddened to discover that one of the true classics,,,, right up there with Benedictine, Chartreuse, or Grand Marnier, would now find a diminished liquer that can easily be substituted by a cheap "sugar-water" Triple Sec. The original Cointreau taste was truly unique,,,, a very complex blend of orange liquer, with intense flavour.

Noilly Prat Vermouth was also one of those unique bone-dry vermouths that was a classic. It went so well with vodka martinis as well as dry-gin martinis. I've read somewhere that they may bring back the original, but I'm not finding it anywhere locally. As alternatives, I've bought Lillet Blanc and Dolin white, but I've not tried them yet. I also bought a Carpano Classico, but I've not cracked that one open either. James Bond's preferred martini, the "Vesper",, calls for a dash of Lillet Blanc, Actually three measures of Gordon's (gin), one measure of Vodka, and a half-measure of Lillet, with a "twist" *(of lemon). "Shaken, not stirred" of course. :cheers:

The vodka's I've tried lately, are "triple-filtered". I suppose that's some sort of marketing ploy,,,, fact remains that it's now virtually tasteless.

Some of the blended Scotches were never really that great as a sipping whisky, but at least, they were predictable and consistent from bottle to bottle. You could predictably balance a cocktail from a simple recipe. Nowadays,,,, I'm not so sure. Artificial colour,,, chill-filtering,,, inconsistent blends,,,no thanks.

Last edited:
I used to enjoy Aurum, also Orange based with Saffran and other herbs....will try that one again, it used to be quite a mouth full.
Yeah I replaced Cointreau with Triple sec for kitchen duty.

I don't really like Canadian Whiskey much. It could be I have never had a good one. I Bourbon better.

There are a lot of tequilas around Texas. I have a picture of my favorites. I use silver for mixing top-shelf Margaritas. I have not tried El Jimador Anejo tequila. I will check it out. I have tried $200 Patrone but I did not think it was that much better than lower priced ones. Tequila is not aged very long so I don't think it has the depth like Bourbons.

Don Julio tequila is a nice sipping one about $55. For a step up in Tequila I think Fortaleza Anejo for about $85 is very good. I can't keep Fortaleza Anejo around very long as my wife makes short work of it.

IMG_0413.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really like Canadian Whiskey much. It could be I have never had a good one. I Bourbon better.

There are a lot of tequilas around Texas. I have a picture of my favorites. I use silver for mixing top-shelf Margaritas. I have not tried El Jimador Anejo tequila. I will check it out. I have tried $200 Patrone but I did not think it was that much better than lower priced ones. Tequila is not aged very long so I don't think it has the depth like Bourbons.

Don Julio tequila is a nice sipping one about $55. For a step up in Tequila I think Fortaleza Anejo for about $85 is very good. I can't keep Fortaleza Anejo around very long as my wife makes short work of it.

View attachment 135674

I've got quite a few tequilas, Patron Blanco, Reposados and Anejo, Don Julio Reposado, Milagro, a few El Tesoro's. My top-shelf tequilas are three bottles of Don Julio 1942. I'm saving those for a special occasion.

I tend to prefer El Jimador for Margarita's, and have Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo versions. The Anejo is hard to find locally, but worth buying when available. The Anejo is a real bargain and even does well as a sipping Tequila. I also bought Cazadores for margaritas, and it's fine. Their Anejo however, is a little overdone in the agave department. Stands up well though, in frozen margarita's.

https://www.saq.com/en/12575928
1627431975122.png
1627432013471.png

Last edited:
I used to enjoy Aurum, also Orange based with Saffran and other herbs....will try that one again, it used to be quite a mouth full.
Yeah I replaced Cointreau with Triple sec for kitchen duty.

Marcel, have you ever tried St. Germain Elderberry liquer? I've yet to try that one. I've never tried Aurum, but another Italian liquer I like is Frangelico. (Hazelnut). I also like Amaretto.(almond)

1627433667702.png

I've got quite a few tequilas, Patron Blanco, Reposados and Anejo, Don Julio Reposado, Milagro, a few El Tesoro's. My top-shelf tequilas are three bottles of Don Julio 1942. I'm saving those for a special occasion.

I tend to prefer El Jimador for Margarita's, and have Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo versions. The Anejo is hard to find locally, but worth buying when available. The Anejo is a real bargain and even does well as a sipping Tequila. I also bought Cazadores for margaritas, and it's fine. Their Anejo however, is a little overdone in the agave department. Stands up well though, in frozen margarita's.

https://www.saq.com/en/12575928
View attachment 135675View attachment 135676

In the past I bought Cazadores by the case back when it was less than $15 a bottle. I still have at least one bottle. I feel like it has gotten too expensive for me to buy any more. I like Patron silver for margaritas better and it is about the same price now.

If you want a really nice sipping tequila look for Fortaleza Anejo tequila. It is hard to find but it is really good.

PS
I don't have any bottles left I just looked as I was going to take a picture of one of the old bottles.

I don't like Milagro at all. It does nothing for me.

I like Don Julio Reposado better than the Anejo for sipping. The silver or Blanco Don Julio costs too much more than Silver Patron for making margaritas to me any way. I would like Don Julio Blanco for Texas Martinis better as it is a better tequila than silver Patron. I may have to re-vist this as the bottles look different now for Don Julio Blanco.

Patrons triplesec is good. And Patron XO is a nice after dinner drink.

Last edited:
Buying by the case usually works for me too. We get a bit of a discount. but not much. When it's "on-sale" you get a small discount per bottle, then an additional discount for a case. I buy the stuff we use most for entertaining,,, mostly cocktail stuff like El Jimador and Cazadores tequila for Frozen Margaritas, rum for pina coladas,,, vodka for Bloody Caesars and Bloody Mary's. Those are always the most popular here. I also buy aperitifs by the case Dubonnet red, St.Raphael red and "gold". I prefer the St.Raphael, and the girls like the Dubonnet over ice, with a squeeze of lemon.

Regarding Patron, I've tried the Reposado, or maybe it was the Anejo only once at a friend's place. As I recall, there was a noticeable "black pepper" taste. It caught me by surprise, and to be honest, I quite liked it. I bought the silver, reposado, and anejo, but it's terribly overpriced here.(for what it is). I've not opened those yet.

Funny thing is, I rarely touch the stuff,,, any of it. I buy it mostly for guests, and that has slowed down dramatically since the Covid outbreak,

There is a lot of cheap tequila and high-end tequila around Texas. So many brands and names. I see an awful lot.

I buy by the case when I find something I really like except wine which I buy to get the discount. The last cases buys for me were Cognac where I bought 3.5 cases which was all I could find. It was about 5 years ago. I can't find this Cognac anymore and I am down to 3 bottles. The other last case buy is I found some Elmer T Lee Bourbon and I bought 17 bottles a few years ago. I still have about 6 bottles. Nowadays I can only get 1 bottle per year if I am lucky.

I drink a lot of different liquors at different times of the year. I guess weather has a lot to do with it.

Gimme Port,,,, Port,,,, and more Port!! Possibly the most civilized drink on the planet. With a 7-course meal, the course I look most forward to, is the cheese & fruit course (served prior to dessert course). A beautiful cheese tray with Stilton, Goat, Cheddar, Camembert, Brie, Oka, Danish Blue, some nice crackers, a nice fruit platter with Golden and Red delicious apples, grapes,, and a great bottle of Port. A nice lengthy break prior to the dessert course.

Well, fill me in about ports. It is real hot down here so we don't drink a lot of ports. But come winter I think a good port would be fine. I know Fonseca Bin 27 and Tawny ports. We do cheese before dinner as an appetizer in Texas. I was on a Celebrity cruise ship up in Alaska where they did cheese before dessert. I heard it is French. My wife makes a great cranberry sauce with Tawny port. I can't eat store bought any more.

What are some good ports?

We also drink a lot of gin and tonic when it is hot. We drink Hendrix and Fever-Tree tonic water. I just can't drink the same thing all the time.

And don't forget to buy some Patron XO for dessert or after dessert. It is real fun. It is a liqueur coffee flavored.

Here is an old port I found that I still have.
IMG_0415.jpg

Last edited:
O YES....Port and Cheese for dessert...

long time ago, when flying was a usual habit I was on my way on a long haul and chatted a bit with one of my neighbors. KLM has (well... had..) a pretty reasonable selection of food and beverage up front and we were chatting about it when my neighbor asked me if I ever had a 'Port and Brandy'....I hadn't so he ordered some, I like Port but often find Port too sweet and Cognac too much in your face, the blend was pretty much spot on....and so much that I had a few more and ended up sleeping 7 hours straight (a rare event for me in a plane.)

long time ago, when flying was a usual habit I was on my way on a long haul and chatted a bit with one of my neighbors. KLM has (well... had..) a pretty reasonable selection of food and beverage up front and we were chatting about it when my neighbor asked me if I ever had a 'Port and Brandy'....I hadn't so he ordered some, I like Port but often find Port too sweet and Cognac too much in your face, the blend was pretty much spot on....and so much that I had a few more and ended up sleeping 7 hours straight (a rare event for me in a plane.)
I am game. What is a good Brandy? Do you drink it in a Brandy sniffer or a port glass? Do you mix it 50/50? I will try it when it cools off.

Last edited:
at the time we drank it in too small airline glasses indeed in a 1:1 ratio, yet I'd put it in a brandy sniffer now. A nice brandy, same as with Whiskey in a mix, nothing over the top and also nothing in your face or overly woody....I used to buy a very nice 'farmers Cognac' for like 40 euro a bottle but they have gone upmarket and I have not bough any since as most that come close are like three times as expensive.

Well, fill me in about ports. It is real hot down here so we don't drink a lot of ports. But come winter I think a good port would be fine. I know Fonseca Bin 27 and Tawny ports. We do cheese before dinner as an appetizer in Texas. I was on a Celebrity cruise ship up in Alaska where they did cheese before dessert. I heard it is French. My wife makes a great cranberry sauce with Tawny port. I can't eat store bought any more.

What are some good ports?

We also drink a lot of gin and tonic when it is hot. We drink Hendrix and Fever-Tree tonic water. I just can't drink the same thing all the time.

And don't forget to buy some Patron XO for dessert or after dessert. It is real fun. It is a liqueur coffee flavored.

Here is an old port I found that I still have.
View attachment 135714

1627499920810.png

I could live "happily ever-after" with that one.

The best I've ever tried, (back in 1984) was a 40 y.o. Hunt's Tawny Club Port, which came in a beauuuutiful decanter bottle with a glass Maltese Cross on the cork. It was to die for. $$$$$. I'm quite happy though, with a very reasonably priced LBV (late bottled vintage) or Tawny port. Graham's, Taylor-Fladgate, Offley, Sandeman. I've yet to try Cabral or Fonseca. I'd love to experience a Quinta Do Noval 1985 Vintage port.

Last edited:
You need to try Fonseca Bin 27 port if you never have. It is a good cheap port. I just bought 3 bottles to fill out my wine case I posted on here.

The cute wine girl told me to buy this one. She said it was as good as Fonseca Bin 27 and just as cheap. Have you ever tried it?
IMG_0416.jpg

Last edited:

You might want to try adding 1/2oz. Curacao and a couple of dashes of Angostura Bitters to that Port & Brandy cocktail, and you'd have a "Betsy Ross"

These 3 0z. crystal sherry glasses would be quite nice port glasses.

The correct glass makes the drink in my mind. I always try to have the correct glass. Riedel is getting kind of expensive for wine glasses but I need a rimless edge at the lip. I can't stand having that little bump rim on a wine glass. It makes me think less of the wine.

The correct glass makes the drink in my mind. I always try to have the correct glass. Riedel is getting kind of expensive for wine glasses but I need a rimless edge at the lip. I can't stand having that little bump rim on a wine glass. It makes me think less of the wine.

I find most wine glasses these days, are crazy over-sized. Port and Sherry glasses are generally very small bowled,,, 3oz-4 oz.

Back