what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up a bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask ... anyone ever try this whisky? It seemed like a good deal.

A glass of Old Pogue bourbon from a bottle that I purchased last year in Bardstown, Kentucky.

last night - water...... and coffee grown on the Big Island :hungry:

Never had the pogue, but that sounds gooood. Man, would a drink be nice tonight. Feel a head cold comin' on so maybe something with a bit of fire behind it... I'm thinking Old Potrero 18th Century.

I think I've tried the Ardmore... Though maybe not. I remember it as being fairly peaty which would be unusual for a highland... If it's what I'm thinking of though, it's fairly tasty.

Mmmm, Old Potrero... all the Anchor Steam distilled spirits are unique and memorable.

I used to be able to find Junipero pretty easily here in CO but not so much anymore.

I picked a bottle of Old Potrero 18th century style too! Unfortunately I'm sending it to my dad.

The Ardmore is supposed to be fairly peaty, so it probably is the dram you're thinking of, can't wait to try it. I'm looking for good values and I'm thinking that in order to satisfy my thirst for peat smoke I might have been better of with the Arbeg ten year ... oh well.

Beer tonight is New Belgium 1554

Just picked up a bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask ... anyone ever try this whisky? It seemed like a good deal.

Mmmmm....Ardmore.

original

I'm thinking that in order to satisfy my thirst for peat smoke I might have been better of with the Arbeg ten year ... oh well.

The Ardbeg ten I remember comes with peat, to be sure. But it also comes with a healthy dose of iodine and salinity. I mean, the Port Charlotte and most stuff from Ardbeg are absolute peat bombs, to be sure, and while both from Islay, they're completely different drams. For straight smoke and affordable, the Caol Ila 12 and Bowmore 12 (if you REALLY want smoke). You can find both sub $35 if you keep your eyes out. But the Ardmore was a perfectly nice dram if I recall right, so I think you'll enjoy it.

Just tried the Ardmore, very nice! Especially at this price range. Very sweet granny Smith apple tartness, nice smoky overtones and a medicinal finish that lingers. I'm very happy I took a chance on this one. Next time I'll give Bowmore a try since the price is so reasonable.

the last tiny bit of my Rittenhouse 25 year old single barrel rye. damn special stuff.

I need to stock, up, I'm out of almost everything right now. Ardmore sounds nice, Ardbeg 10 is a must. For the really bad days, having a Laphroaig in cask strength on hand wouldn't be bad either...

Anybody have a recommendation for a straightfoward vodka? I am usually not into the fancy schmancy designer vodkas, something clean and on the smoother side will do just fine. I usually keep that on ice and drink it straight up. Purely for medicinal reasons, of course.

Stefan

I need to stock, up, I'm out of almost everything right now. Ardmore sounds nice, Ardbeg 10 is a must. For the really bad days, having a Laphroaig in cask strength on hand wouldn't be bad either...

Anybody have a recommendation for a straightfoward vodka? I am usually not into the fancy schmancy designer vodkas, something clean and on the smoother side will do just fine. I usually keep that on ice and drink it straight up. Purely for medicinal reasons, of course.

Stefan

the standard Smirnoff keeps winning the double blind taste tests. that said, i drink Chopin when i drink vodka neat.

Kirklandikovs?

LOL!

I like the straight Charbay vodka. Used to be dirt cheap, not sure if it stills is. Still got a couple bottles lying around. You might be close enough that 42 below is available and cheap. It's an interesting wheat based NZ vodka. That's what I give people that tell me vodka doesn't/shouldn't/can't have it's own flavor profile. Anyway, in NZ it was like 35NZD and you're pretty close so... Otherwise I'd go Stoli.

Stefan

For drinking, Kettle One is still king. They are one of the only brands that has kept their quality up and their price down.
For sipping though, Stoli Elit is the vodka of choice for me. There are boatloads of designer brands going on now, but almost none of them earn their premium over Kettle in my book, Elit is the exception.

I'm drinking Stone smoked porter tonight, somebody posted it last week and gave me a hankering. I picked some up yesterday, so tonight's the night.

Tonight its a little dark rum on ice... Just a wee bit of time to mellow before bed.

I picked a bottle of Old Potrero 18th century style too! Unfortunately I'm sending it to my dad.

The Ardmore is supposed to be fairly peaty, so it probably is the dram you're thinking of, can't wait to try it. I'm looking for good values and I'm thinking that in order to satisfy my thirst for peat smoke I might have been better of with the Arbeg ten year ... oh well.

Beer tonight is New Belgium 1554
If you can find it try McCarthy's single malt From Clear Creek distillery in Oregon. Its only three years old but it is a beauty, incredibly smooth, smokey and peaty. Consider it a baby Laguvulin. voted best whiskey in the world a few years ago

If you can find it try McCarthy's single malt From Clear Creek distillery in Oregon. Its only three years old but it is a beauty, incredibly smooth, smokey and peaty. Consider it a baby Laguvulin. voted best whiskey in the world a few years ago

That seems a bit exaggerated unless they have become much better. I had that after they just started making it and wasn't all that impressed at the time. Now, the Clear Creek pear eau de vie is a different matter, clearly one of the nicest ones I had.

Barber told me of a beer made in Japan and sold in a golden colored can - so after my haircut I went to local Japanese market and they had on sale "Suntory The Premium Malts Draft Beer" in golden colored cans. Not sure it is the beer the barber talked about but I picked up 2 cans and went to the cashier. The cashier requested to see my ID!!!!:lol2:
I told her I am collecting Social Security - but she insisted to see my ID - so I gave her my ID and said thank you :happy1:
So having my hair cut has made me appear years younger - to 1 person - beer was ok :D

That seems a bit exaggerated unless they have become much better. I had that after they just started making it and wasn't all that impressed at the time. Now, the Clear Creek pear eau de vie is a different matter, clearly one of the nicest ones I had.

much better than the early days. here are a few write ups.

McCarthy's started to receive significant acclaim in 2004, when Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible gave McCarthy's its Best Small Batch Whiskey in the world award and a score of 94. That same year Michael Jackson put McCarthy's in his list of The Ten Best American Whiskeys, published in both the Men's Journal (December 2004) and The Malt Advocate ( First Quarter 2005). Consistently rave reviews have continued. In his 2006 edition of The Whiskey Bible, Jim Murray wrote, "McCarthy's has earned a place among the world's elite whiskeys." His 2008 edition of The Whiskey Bible gave McCarthy's a phenomenal score of 96.

Looks like I'll be picking up a bottle of McCarthy's :)

The Ardbeg ten I remember comes with peat, to be sure. But it also comes with a healthy dose of iodine and salinity. I mean, the Port Charlotte and most stuff from Ardbeg are absolute peat bombs, to be sure, and while both from Islay, they're completely different drams. For straight smoke and affordable, the Caol Ila 12 and Bowmore 12 (if you REALLY want smoke). You can find both sub $35 if you keep your eyes out. But the Ardmore was a perfectly nice dram if I recall right, so I think you'll enjoy it.

Mmmm...Ardbeg, I have the 10 for everyday drinking and a bottle of the 17yr old that isn't made any more.

Otter Creek Copper Ale.
Jack Daniels.
Brooklyn Lager.
Jameson.
Magic Hat Ourtoberfest.

Back