what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High West, Weller, Orphan Barrel, the Hibiki Harmony series is also well balanced. E.H. Taylor, Bookers, Bib and Tucker, Basil Haydens, Black Maple Hill, George Dickle, Heaven Hill, Michters, Old Forrester, Rock Hill Farms, Rowans Creek, Russells, Westland, Willett Wistle Pig...

Some (most) of these aren't Burbons, but if you aren't into sweetness, maybe Burbons wouldn't really tick that box?
Not sure of your price range either. I stopped there but I could go on for hours if you want more detailed suggestions!

Cheers,
Kevin

High West, Weller, Orphan Barrel, the Hibiki Harmony series is also well balanced. E.H. Taylor, Bookers, Bib and Tucker, Basil Haydens, Black Maple Hill, George Dickle, Heaven Hill, Michters, Old Forrester, Rock Hill Farms, Rowans Creek, Russells, Westland, Willett Wistle Pig...

Some (most) of these aren't Burbons, but if you aren't into sweetness, maybe Burbons wouldn't really tick that box?
Not sure of your price range either. I stopped there but I could go on for hours if you want more detailed suggestions!

Cheers,
Kevin

Great list, thank you. I'm thinking about bottles in the low-medium price range. I would love to try some William Larue Weller one day but prices really have become ridiculous for high-end American whiskeys...

Also looking to try some more rye whiskeys so maybe I'll give Whistle Pig or High West a go. (I tried High West ages ago at a bar but really can't remember it much.)

Great list, thank you. I'm thinking about bottles in the low-medium price range. I would love to try some William Larue Weller one day but prices really have become ridiculous for high-end American whiskeys...

Also looking to try some more rye whiskeys so maybe I'll give Whistle Pig or High West a go. (I tried High West ages ago at a bar but really can't remember it much.)

I know what you mean about prices, its really the rarity over the actual spirit sometimes. There are a lot of good deals in American whiskey still, you occasionally have to search a bit harder though!
Whats medium price range for you? less than 100 or 75 I'd guess, so I'll give you a few more personal picks:

I firmly believe that some of the best whiskey in all of the U.S. is coming out of Utah. The High West American Prairie Bourbon would be in the $45 price range.

WL Weller Special Reserve comes in at $30, very underrated in my view

Hibiki Harmony is at $67, you might need to give that a try just on its own merits if you are a fan of Japanese whiskey

Basil Hayden Bourbon is at $45

Both the Michter's Bourbon and Rye are tasty and around $50 I can't recall how sweet the Bourbon is though

Old Forrester is one of my favorite in the bang-for-the-buck arena. I really like the Birthday releases from them, but I'm not sure about price or availability on those

I really like Rowans Creek as well $44

Russell's Reserve and 10 year are both good, maybe a touch sweet though

I really love the stuff coming out of Westland. I've tried almost all of their releases and I really enjoy them (except for the april fools one which was aged in tabasco casks *shudder*).
the sherry is on the sweet side, but I like the American Whiskey and Peated from them very much.

If you can swing it the Willet Pot Still Reserve is $99. I think you could blind taste test this with some whiskeys costing double and the differences wouldn't be overwhelming

Everything from Whistle Pig is good, I'd go for the Straight Rye unless you opt for the higher end releases.

Wow! didn't really mean to type that much... But hey, I guess that shows how I feel about whiskey!
Let me know what you end up getting!

*clinks glass*
Cheers,
Kevin

I went from a bourbon drinking to strictly rye cause I don't care for the sweetness. My go to is michters barrel strength rye at around 110proof.

Redbreast cask strength is fanfingtastic if you want smooth but still kick in yo face. That's my non rye drink of choice

I just had a bottle of some of the best Slovakian vines I have ever tasted. I will have my father to get me a two more boxes :)

IMG_0596.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 54
Not the peatiest I have, but it definitely hits the spot on a rainy day in the Bay.

Thanks Nomsdotcom and panda for the recs - very helpful. I think I might give some rye a go. I'm thinking maybe Mitchers or Whistle Pig...

In other news, the cork on my bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail just broke so I guess I'll be finishing rather quickly - or decanting it. Luckily I'm down to the last quarter or so.

did a premium vodka taste test:
russian standard platinum - manly, holds up well for mixing with tonic, bold flavor
absolut elyx - super clean & crisp, bright flavor
sobieski estate - robust, drinks like a refined rye whiskey

26992161_10213655262888808_8191524749101369552_n.jpg

what i wanted was the gold edition of russian standard as that's said to be made with russian ginseng. maybe next time. i also want to try stoli elit.

Generous double shot of Wild Turkey 101 as a night cap, taking the edge of a crazy busy day.

Stefan

Annex XPA was drank last night, thursday is date night with the boys from work, kept it civil after last week, I also discovered day old scallion pancakes may be the ultimate liquor sponge.

Panda you don't know how lucky you are to gave access to Cigar City. The Midwest has many great craft breweries, but that one is my favorite. Unfortunately they only sell in a few states and IL is not one. I fly back some every time we go to Marco Island

We just started getting it in NJ maybe a little less then a year ago and I was stoked. I have friends in Ft. Myers and had it there and fell in love with their Jai Alai. Maduro is great as well. I've had a few others by them, but really liked those two.

Seen some limited run stouts by them in bombers recently, really need to give those a try.

i can get jai alai at any gas station around here, :D

Haha yeah man. At least a lot of liquor stores are carrying it around here now and it's not outrageously expensive. My go to for IPA's right now is Magnify though, it's a local brewery in Fairfield NJ, seriously the best pale ales I've ever had as an overall. They have only 1 or 2 standard always available ones and then constantly do limited releases on about a bi-weekly basis. Some really righteous stuff haha.

Just opened a 2015 "the prisoner" from Napa, I haven't drunk a lot of wines from the US but I'm really enjoying it

Interestingly enough on this same day I was drinking some Leeuwin estate art series, quite good I might add - I haven't drunk many a wine from down under, mostly cause i don't trust the wine surviving the trip.

Any love for bourbon barrel aged beers in here?
I find then hit or miss. Sometimes they just taste like super boozy raisins. A little too sweet and booze forward can ruin what was a good beer for me.

I am a big fan of the North Coast Old Rasputin barrel aged. Favorite has to be the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (if you can get your hands on that one)

I find then hit or miss. Sometimes they just taste like super boozy raisins. A little too sweet and booze forward can ruin what was a good beer for me.

I am a big fan of the North Coast Old Rasputin barrel aged. Favorite has to be the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (if you can get your hands on that one)

North Coast made a big bottle Farmhouse Saison that was definitely meant to be a sour that was incredible, haven't been able to find it in years.

Bourbon County are excellent. At one point I had 27 bottles of them, found a store that had 19 cases and no bottle limit... :doublethumbsup:

Also have 9 bottles of CBS in the stash right now, I went a little crazy lol. Those were hard to track down too, with a 1 bottle limit. Had 11 at one point.

What I really would love to track down are the coffee Bourbon County along with the Blueberry Almond. The coffee didn't make it to NJ afaik and the Blueberry was so limited 2 of the 3 places I found it put it in a raffle and the other wanted way too much for a bottle.

What I really would love to track down are the coffee Bourbon County along with the Blueberry Almond. The coffee didn't make it to NJ afaik and the Blueberry was so limited 2 of the 3 places I found it put it in a raffle and the other wanted way too much for a bottle.

Interesting- another Bourbon County fan here, I didn’t know that they made those versions. The blueberry almond sounds like a lot of fun. (Coffee releases are getting a bit stale IMO)

I have a few set back “in the cellar” still. One of my standby barrel aged is Boulevard’s Bourbon Barrel Quad. I believe it is stocked year round in 4 packs today. Ten years ago when I lived in Kansas City, it was a limited release. Guys would take the day off work to make sure they could grab a few bottles on distribution day.

Craft beer was a different game back then- No where near the selection and creative brewing we have today.

Cascade sours !!! And thete is one matured in chardonnay barrels which is gorgeous ( they are all awesome )

So we're talking barrel aged sours? I've had a few and although they're really good beers overall, I feel like the barrel aging took away almost all the sourness and just made it a good indistinguishable style. You just knew it was a barrel aged beer of some sort that tastes good.

Interesting- another Bourbon County fan here, I didn’t know that they made those versions. The blueberry almond sounds like a lot of fun. (Coffee releases are getting a bit stale IMO)

I have a few set back “in the cellar” still. One of my standby barrel aged is Boulevard’s Bourbon Barrel Quad. I believe it is stocked year round in 4 packs today. Ten years ago when I lived in Kansas City, it was a limited release. Guys would take the day off work to make sure they could grab a few bottles on distribution day.

Craft beer was a different game back then- No where near the selection and creative brewing we have today.

A good buddy of mine and myself still did that for CBS this year! :laugh:

Goose made a number of variations of Bourbon County this year. We only got the regular, the Barleywine and Blueberry Almond here afaik. Not sure on the coffee but I heard none made it to distributors in state. In Illinois and possibly surrounding states they had a couple other ones as well. I know one of the 6 they planned this year was completely scrapped though, it was a 2nd Barleywine variant.

I was told by a couple people in the loop they released a ton of the regular stuff this year, that's why you could find stores all the way out here with no bottle limits and 15+ cases available, as a strategic move. The strategy is, after their huge F-up a couple of releases ago where all that infected beer was released and a super cautious limited release this past year(2016), they flooded the market this year(2017) hoping to build up a huge hype and following of it again, only to pull in the reigns in 2018 and make it as hard to come by as stuff like KBS. Bourbon County has always been pretty exclusive, especially in these parts, but KBS always more so. Not arguing which is a better beer, just purposeful supply and demand and pricing and hype. BC was close to the same, but the tainted release really soured people on it and sullied their name, big pun semi-intended. So they're banking on the over-release and subsequent under-release to create a ton more hype behind the brands this coming season, both Goose as a Brewery and Bourbon County as a brand.

Just what I heard from a few different distributors.

Back