what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much of whisky drinker do you drink it neat, on the rocks, or mixed?

Years ago got a strainer, masher made mixed drinks with vodka. Janice liked most of what I made.

These days we will have a beer we both like Kona Cliff Diver IPA & Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo IPA.

I thought that whiskey from Japan was pretty good but it honestly didn’t blow my hair back. Maybe because my buddy stuck me with the bar tab. :)

Years ago got a strainer, masher made mixed drinks with vodka. Janice liked most of what I made.

These days we will have a beer we both like Kona Cliff Diver IPA & Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo IPA.
Most of the time I like it on the rocks, but this particular one I prefer neat.

I thought that whiskey from Japan was pretty good but it honestly didn’t blow my hair back. Maybe because my buddy stuck me with the bar tab. :)

I feel you. Japanese whisky can be very good, even spectacular. But prices are not justified IMO.

Color me impressed, this is even better than the pure malt!!
20200618_200808.jpg

Local beer from Meddlesome brewery in Memphis. 201 Hoplar ipa. It's a riff on the Memphis city jail located at 201 Poplar Ave.

Gin & Tonic...

Straight from the Black Forest !

(Maidli = Girl in our region of SW-Germany, near Switzerland/France)

Attachments

• 853BA209-C6C1-478F-AC5D-E100936E77BC.jpeg
    853BA209-C6C1-478F-AC5D-E100936E77BC.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 9
ive been wanting to try this one forever, how is it??

I’m really enjoying it, more so than the Nikka Coffey malt I bought at the same time. I’d probably buy it again.

That said I’ve been really getting into Islay malts and that’s a whole different game. Currently really enjoying Ardbeg 10yo and Bruichladdich Islay Barley

857B13CE-79D8-4DC5-B5F9-27C768DC0360.jpeg

+1 for Lagavulin .. is it as smoky as people say? On my try list ..

I'm currently on port spree ..

Lagavulin and it’s neighbors (Ardbeg and Laphroaig) are some of the peatiest malts around.

I was supposed to be there last month but obviously cancelled :(

Balvenie Tun 1509 Batch #3. I've got a bottle of the original Tun 1401 Batch #8 waiting in the UK that I picked up at auction. Can't wait to try that one, especially after seeing the Tun's in Warehouse 24 during my tour of the distillery. If anyone is planning a trip to Speyside the Balvenie tour is the one to get on.

There's no "right or wrong way" to drink whisky,,, it's down to what you prefer. That said though, to a purist,,, adding anything to a good whisky is downright sinful. Get yourself a "nosing" glass (Glencairn is my favourite), and pour yourself a dram. Nose (smell) the whisky two or three times,,,,take your time and think about the developing aromas, and try to identify them individually,,, then, have a sip. Keep it in your mouth (don't swallow at this point) and let the flavours impact various tastebuds in your mouth. Think about the various flavours and characteristics as you swirl it around your mouth. Those individual characteristics will change and develop over time. Hold,,,,Hold,,,,Hold,,,then as you swallow,,, you may or may not get "the burn" depending on the alcohol content,,, and then the whisky does its' magic in "the finish". What you want is a whisky with a longgggg, slowwwww,,,, lingering finish. Like a kiss from the angels!!! Some will have such a long finish that you can actually still taste it the next morning. When you find one like that,,,, RUN TO THE STORE,,, and pick up a few more bottles of the same batch,,, because when word gets around, the price will surely rise. Be careful when buying however, because whisky can be extremely "batch sensitive",,, in other words, two whiskys of the same name, but from different batches, can be total opposites in character and taste. A while back I bought a bottle of Talisker Distillers' Edition (Isle of Skye) that knocked my socks off. WoW!!!! I went back to the store and bought three more,,, only to discover later that they were from different batches, and those were polar opposites in taste profile.

As for "adding" something to the whisky,,,,, some whiskys will benefit from a few (and I mean a "few") drops of water.

As for the term "on the rocks",,, that came about when people didn't have access to ice. They'd run to a local stream and pick up smooth rocks that were chilled in the waters. Hence, "On the rocks"

As for colour and clarity of the whisky,,,, some darker whiskys may give the impression that they're better quality, or more robust, etc., but that colour may be from artificial colourings (caramel). Don't assume a pale whisky is by any means "inferior to" a darker whisky. As for cloudiness,,, you may see that from time to time with whiskys that haven't been chill-filtered, and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
^username checks out.

Good advice! Also I find that the second sip is where the magic happens. The first sip primes your tastebuds and desensitizes you to the alcohol burn.

Back