what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I have been mostly drinking Highland Park 25 single malt (Fast Show reference).

I'm jealous,,,I have to settle for the 18 Y.O HP.,,,, otherwise my wallet needs oxygen.:eek: Prices are crazy here in Quebec. ($900. for a 750ml Highland Park 25). Liquor here, is only available through our government outlets. We "can" buy internationally, but only by requesting a special import permit from our provincial liquor board, and that liquor board adds their "hefty mark-up" with specific restrictions. International imports also have to be purchased in "quantity",,,, and purchased directly from bottlers.(no retailers)

Last edited:
grow your own ;-), like others in countries with similar state monopolies do.... would buying in quantity not work?
I recall being puzzled in the grocery store in Sweden somewhere in the Dalarna region, finding a huge selection of small bottles with 'essence of Whiskey, Vodka' etc on the label, it was much later that I learned those are the flavors folks add to their homemade moonshine,

grow your own ;-), like others in countries with similar state monopolies do.... would buying in quantity not work?
I recall being puzzled in the grocery store in Sweden somewhere in the Dalarna region, finding a huge selection of small bottles with 'essence of Whiskey, Vodka' etc on the label, it was much later that I learned those are the flavors folks add to their homemade moonshine,

I can already hear a banjo playing!!!

I'm jealous,,,I have to settle for the 18 Y.O HP.,,,, otherwise my wallet needs oxygen.:eek: Prices are crazy here in Quebec. ($900. for a 750ml Highland Park 25). Liquor here, is only available through our government outlets. We "can" buy internationally, but only by requesting a special import permit from our provincial liquor board, and that liquor board adds their "hefty mark-up" with specific restrictions. International imports also have to be purchased in "quantity",,,, and purchased directly from bottlers.(no retailers)
I'm in the US but buy a lot of my highend/unusual whisky from the UK. Some retailers use 'couriers' that circumvent the normal checks and taxation. I think I paid $375 for the 700ml bottle of HP25 which is about half what it costs locally.
But there are odd occasions where some bottlings are much cheaper here such as Craigellachie 23. Its maybe 1/3 the price vs UK

15990498620776961274743801381272.jpg

Gotta love supermarket beer that doesn't taste like piss

yesterday the Floreffe, today a La Trappe after I downed the Augustus om exasperation....My ISP is going to be liable for me needing a new liver, what a mess.

Marolo grappa di moscato :) It’s good. My last bottle was a dolcetto, so wanted to try something else. Lately I’ve been drinking more cognac (Frapin) and grappa after dinner.

Attachments

• E5FC5BCC-D776-424A-807A-24F66671EF59.jpeg
    E5FC5BCC-D776-424A-807A-24F66671EF59.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4
one of my favorites, grappa di moscato! Don't know maorolo though, I'm fond of Poli or Nonino. Will keep an eye open for Marolo.

one of my favorites, grappa di moscato! Don't know maorolo though, I'm fond of Poli or Nonino. Will keep an eye open for Marolo.
Nice! You are also in the Netherlands? I bought my bottle of Marolo at drankgigant: needed a few bottles of different stuff I cannot find at my usual shop Hanos. So I needed to order over 150 euro of booze to get free shipping... :)

Speaking of Nonino: I forgot I still have a bottle of their amaro. I had it as an aperitif last week with a slice of orange and on the rocks. It was heavenly!

does our PM make Gin in his time off? WOW

I opened a Rosso di Montefalco.
Could very well be related... Dordrecht. See Distillery | Rutte.com

Not a poor tasting gin but nothing special either. Looking for an export strength gin next: open for suggestions? I had Martin Miller in the past and liked it, but it’s difficult to source without having to pay online shipping fees.

Dutch Courage dry gin did me well lately, FWIW; it is a truly distilled product not just some alcohol infused with spices, don;t seem to recall the strength but that might mean it's export strength.

at this moment a Bernardus Triple, Belgian brewery that also brews for the famous Westvleteren brewery, their triple is the BEST, complex flavours, ridiculously good and hideously expensive, hard to come by, as luck has it my goto store (they carry 500+ beers easily) always has enough.

Wifey brought back peaches and nectarines from the farmer's market so I soaked some in Grand Marnier and made a white wine sangria...
fruit.jpeg
sangria.jpeg

Back