what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jXxY2KK.jpg

El Dorado 15 Year Old

This thread has inspired me to raise a glass (any excuse eh)

This remains the king of rums, a smooth taste of home
Have you tried the exceptional cask series from Foursquare? 50%+abv. No color, no added sugar. Proper age statements. The 2007 and 2008 bottlings are standouts. The new Redoutable bottle is also worth a look.

Decisions, decisions...

bppp7Mq.jpg

The only one of these I've had is the Trickster and it is still to-date my absolute favorite IPA. I prefer bitter to citrus and given my region there's about a gillion options so it's always a bit of a crap shoot.

This one was surprising. A couple of years old and gushed a bit when opened. Worried it might end up very tart and overly dry but turned out to be very balanced.

View attachment 117971

A WILD SAISON IN A TULIP GLASS

:dancingcow: :dancingcow: :dancingcow:

excellent taste
wild yeast babies make the best beer

I have a bottle of 3F lying around, gonna wait a while to drink it - can't wait.

A WILD SAISON IN A TULIP GLASS

:dancingcow: :dancingcow: :dancingcow:

excellent taste
wild yeast babies make the best beer

I have a bottle of 3F lying around, gonna wait a while to drink it - can't wait.

Nice!!!

There are some smaller Aussie breweries that have been embracing the wild and farmhouse type beers recently which is pretty cool to see. These guys have been around for a while (for Australia) and make some great stuff. We're always a few years behind the US and a few centuries behind Europe. Hazy hype is still in full swing here...

Also just following instructions with the glass : )
IMG_20210313_191725168~2.jpg

Have you tried the exceptional cask series from Foursquare? 50%+abv. No color, no added sugar. Proper age statements. The 2007 and 2008 bottlings are standouts. The new Redoutable bottle is also worth a look.

I’ve had a few samples (Rum advent calendar for the win) and they’re good, but I’ve been drinking XM and El Dorado for a long time and they just taste all too right, mild controversy about added sugar allowing.

I also have a slightly difficult relationship with Foursquare. I still think of Seale’s as a fairly recent, unremarkable producer, so their rapid growth and rebrand(s) has been something of a surprise. Their products are good, but I‘m slightly uncomfortable with their aristocratic owner leading the charge of a new wave of additive free ‘authentic/genuine rums. Rum deserved a status upgrade for sure, but there’s a touch of the white saviour complex about the whole thing, albeit it’s hard to blame a man with contacts benefitting from fantastic PR and press coverage. And I wasn’t too surprised to hear that some rums, particularly Demerara ones, have had sugar added for many decades either.,

Weirdly the same principles about additives don’t seem to apply to other craft alcohol particularly beer and craft gin, which often seem to be held up as renegade movements against fusty tradition, albeit with added hipster beardage. Life’s unfair I guess, but I find it difficult to swallow the double standard at times.

Long time favorite cocktail/aperitif of both my wife and me, Sbagliato Negroni,

the story behind this is a bartender was making a standard Negroni (eq parts gin/campari-or-aperol/sweet-vermouth) and added prosecco instead of gin, and what, IT WAS DELICIOIUS! our recipe below. The word sbagliato literally means "mistake."
sbag1.jpg

sbag2.jpg

Sbagliato Negroni
50 ml Campari (or Aperol)
50ml Sweet Vermouth
187ml Prosecco ,that oddly precise # is from one of those little single serving bottles 🍸🤪
stir gently with a spoon and divide into two small rocks glasses or whatever, and serve on ice.
traditionally garnished with an orange peel, but do what you gotta do, and stay fly, as the kids say.

This is also easy to batch for a group, 200 ml each Campari and Sweet Vermouth; and one standard 750 ml bottle of Prosecco.

Last edited:
Long time favorite cocktail/aperitif of both my wife and me, Sbagliato Negroni,

the story behind this is a bartender was making a standard Negroni (eq parts gin/campari-or-aperol/sweet-vermouth) and added prosecco instead of gin, and what, IT WAS DELICIOIUS! our recipe below. The word sbagliato literally means "mistake."
View attachment 118118
View attachment 118119

Sbagliato Negroni
50 ml Campari (or Aperol)
50ml Sweet Vermouth
187ml Prosecco ,that oddly precise # is from one of those little single serving bottles 🍸🤪
stir gently with a spoon and divide into two small rocks glasses or whatever, and serve on ice.
traditionally garnished with an orange peel, but do what you gotta do, and stay fly, as the kids say.

This is also easy to batch for a group, 200 ml each Campari and Sweet Vermouth; and one standard 750 ml bottle of Prosecco.
Reminds me of a go-to cocktail I used to make - the “Negroni Royale.” A classic Negroni served up and topped with a bit of champagne. Quite delightful!

2005 was really good as well. i’m down to my last bottle of it. i been really enjoying some hampden’s recently as well, in particular the overproof.

I had to take a few pictures of this impossible to read label of a beer, literally it was impossible to read without using bright studio flash lighting.

Went down easy. Very mediocre beer. I love Blonde Ales, but this one is forgettable. I think I'll move onto a bottle of a Washington red.

First shot is with more than ambient light, can barely see the label.

_MG_4428.jpeg

_MG_4431.jpeg

Last week I celebrated spring with some Aperol spritzes, better value at home than at a bar (which are closed down anyways!). Also had a few negroni last weekend. Today I’ve opened up a bottle of cream sherry by Mil Pesetas, pretty good.

22697010-BADD-4F46-9564-9E1B82836B48.jpeg

I've enjoyed Green Spot and Redbreast 12, so I thought I'd try another moderately priced Irish single pot still whisky -

Three Swallows.jpg

Back