what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like Indian Whiskey, try Amrut Fusion.

View attachment 134684
Yes! This was our previous Indian whiskey. Quite different - the Amrut is much stronger flavoured and also has a higher abv (50% I think). It’s a great whiskey to drink on the rocks, and if you want to feel tropical you should add a dash of fresh coconut juice.

The Rampur is much more a digestif, best to be enjoyed on its own. It has a very smooth, almost cognac like taste.

A Greco Fiano from Basilica, nothing fancy but great for a lazy and warm summer afternoon...and for once I remembered to timely open it, as I find that white needs more airing time to mellow out a bit than most red.

Should go well with prepping the BBQ, (red) cole slaw, potato salad, garlic butter, some baguette, and pre-marinated short ribs, we'll see how that last bit fares, once more I was banging my nose on that fact that buying unadulterated meat is almost impossible in a supermarket nowadays.

Last edited:
Elijah Craig small batch bourbon, a little too sweet for my taste. Definitely a sippin whiskey, make it last a while or it will over take you.

I have been to the distillery in Kentucky. They make some fine Burbon the old fashion way. They rack barrels in lots of warehouses spread out over the property to protect them from fire. I bought a lot of their 18-year-old Burbon. I can't find it now for the last 8 to 10 years.

If you like Indian Whiskey, try Amrut Fusion.

View attachment 134684

I'm getting into this a little late. A couple of years ago I was in Cambodia and i asked a guy in a small store what was the local "hard liquor." He pointed me at a bottle of some kind of Indian distilled "whiskey", about a $1.00 a fifth. An English/Australian? lady in the store advised me not to buy it as some Cambodian versions were known to to cause blindness, etc. OK, I'm still game. I tried it and found it to be the absolute worse hard liqueur I've drank anywhere, and trust me, I've tried them around the globe. I left 90% of the bottle in my hotel room when I left.

I played Bocce ball this evening and I came in hot and tired so I poured Parrot Bay rum over ice to cool off. I had a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Do you guys have a favorite rum? I think mine is Angostura Caribbean rum 1919.

Not exactly my favorite, but excellent none the less. Even their 5 year old goes down smoooooth. With rum, I find a lot depends on how you drink it (neat vs cocktails, etc)

1627006526996.png

Last edited:
I'm getting into this a little late. A couple of years ago I was in Cambodia and i asked a guy in a small store what was the local "hard liquor." He pointed me at a bottle of some kind of Indian distilled "whiskey", about a $1.00 a fifth. An English/Australian? lady in the store advised me not to buy it as some Cambodian versions were known to to cause blindness, etc. OK, I'm still game. I tried it and found it to be the absolute worse hard liqueur I've drank anywhere, and trust me, I've tried them around the globe. I left 90% of the bottle in my hotel room when I left.

Sounds to me like you got a counterfeit bottle, probably made with a wood alcohol base.

So, I found this rum. My Angostura Caribbean rum 1919 I can't find it right now. The guy said they have not been able to find Angostura Caribbean rum 1919. Here is a picture of both.

I looked for the Rhum Neisson Blanc 55% but I could not find it.
PS
So, I am drinking the El Dorado and I think it is my second favorite. It is a nice drinking rum.

IMG_0406.jpg

Last edited:
The Angostura 1919 is sold out here as well. I also couldn't find Neisson Blanc 55%

I've yet to try The Kraken,,,, and Pyrat, and looking forward to trying some of the Plantation rums.

1627084170009.png
1627084241661.png
1627084387998.png

Last edited:
I am not much on spiced rum. I only like it in hot buttered rum when it is really cold. I use Emeril's recipe.

I am not much on spiced rum. I only like it in hot buttered rum when it is really cold. I use Emeril's recipe.

Speaking of recipes ,Thomas Mario used to be a writer for Playboy Magazine,,,, many years ago,,,, and, he wrote two great books titled The Playboy Gourmet, and, The Playboy Host and Bar Book. Both have excellent recipes,,,, food, and drink. I used to make a killer Spanish Coffee back then, where you heat the liquor in a ladle over a flame,,,, then pour the blue flame into the coffee from roughly a foot above the glass. It was always a great show. A-1 presentation.

Friday evening, Woodford Reserve Select Bourbon, while prepping dinner.

I've had mixed experience with Woodford Reserve Select. It's gone from "quite good",,, to WoW!!!! to "What the???

My first bottle was very nice, then I didn't touch it for 6-8 months, and when I went back to it, it absolutely knocked my socks off. The taste had changed quite dramatically,,, with a strong presence of wild cherry pits. Fantastic,,,, so, I ran off back to the liquor store and picked up 5 more bottles. I cracked one of those open a few months ago, and it was a whole "n'uther" experience... very bland with a very predominant taste of corn. As it turns out, the batch number was different. Now I'm stuck with 5 bottles that I can't return due to Covid restrictions. All is not lost however, I'm hoping that last bottle I opened will do the same as that great bottle I had, once it's been aerated for a while (6-8 months) My current favourite Bourbons are Blanton's Original 46.5% ABV,,,, and Booker's. Both are quite different, and at roughly 64.3% ABV, the Booker's packs quite a wallop. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find a Pappy Van Winkle locally.

1627142931240.png
1627142997524.png

I have never been lucky enough to find a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. I have had it several times. I think it is around $30+ a shot. I have been able to score some Elmer T Lee Burbon several times. Once we hit this price range then I like some of the old single malt scotches.

I was at the Woodford Reserve distillery about 10 years ago. It was small scale compared to Elijah Craig. I went to 4 or 5 distilleries right there by Louisville Ky. But I don't drink Elijah Craig now as I cannot find the 18-year-old that I drank in the past. I went past Jim Beam but I did not want to go in there as it is all made with stainless not the old-fashioned way Burbon was made. Is Bookers one of Jim Beam Burbon's? Knob Creek is.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Colonel Taylor small batch. It is a nice smooth drinking high alcohol which does not taste like it.

Last edited:
Blanton's Single Barrel has long been a favorite of mine. We toured the Buffalo Trace distillery a couple of years ago. Beautiful place and a great tour - reserve in advance.

Do you guys have a favorite rum? I think mine is Angostura Caribbean rum 1919.

usually more of a Scottish single malt drinker, but really enjoyed mount gay xo.

i didn't liked super sweet stuff like el dorado. plantation 20 was ok but too much added sugar as well.

i heard "Foursquare" is top quality rum and its next on my list.

usually more of a Scottish single malt drinker, but really enjoyed mount gay xo.

i didn't liked super sweet stuff like el dorado. plantation 20 was ok but too much added sugar as well.

i heard "Foursquare" is top quality rum and its next on my list.

I used to pick up a jug of Mount Gay whenever I flew to Barbados. Good stuff.

In Jamaica, I bought Appleton Estate.

In single malt Scotch, I'm an Islay fan.... Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and Ardbeg. The OOGIE is my favourite. (Uigeadail). I have a Bowmore 12, and a Bunnahabhain that I've yet to crack open, plus a Caol Ila, and have yet to try the Kilchoman. I've also got a Bruichladdich stashed somewhere that I'd forgotten about 'til now. :)

Here's to Ralphy,,,,,, cheers!!!

I used to pick up a jug of Mount Gay whenever I flew to Barbados. Good stuff.

In Jamaica, I bought Appleton Estate.

In single malt Scotch, I'm an Islay fan.... Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and Ardbeg. The OOGIE is my favourite. (Uigeadail). I have a Bowmore 12, and a Bunnahabhain that I've yet to crack open, plus a Caol Ila, and have yet to try the Kilchoman. I've also got a Bruichladdich stashed somewhere that I'd forgotten about 'til now. :)

Here's to Ralphy,,,,,, cheers!!!

As a scotch drinker who likes rum, i can recommend the balvenie 14 caribbean cask (aged in rum barrels).

bunnah is quality stuff, very fruity. Island are usually very smoky, I’m more of speyside&highlands fan and prefer the smoke on my steaks 😅

ralphy fan for sure! Cheers man🥃

Balvenie 21-year-old. Now you are talking my scotch. The price just keeps going up.

some special beers last night on a looooon audio night....the two most special ones (except for the Westvleteren of which I did not take a picture)

Monte Christo is a super special blend of sherry, wine and beer, it did go well with some first pressing mono Heifetz Violin
Rasputin is a beast of a beer and should be the last one on a series, black rye in a bottle that went pretty well with Dave Brubeck mono first pressing of take five.

Shoot, I think I need a mono record player now....
IMG-20210725-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210725-WA0001.jpg

As a scotch drinker who likes rum, i can recommend the balvenie 14 caribbean cask (aged in rum barrels).

bunnah is quality stuff, very fruity. Island are usually very smoky, I’m more of speyside&highlands fan and prefer the smoke on my steaks 😅

ralphy fan for sure! Cheers man🥃

Yep, I've got a Balvenie Carribean Cask and the Doublewood in my collection. Also Highland Park 18 y.o., 15, and 12. Glenfarclas 105, a 15y.o., the 17 is outstanding,,,, and the 21 y.o.

Aberlour A'bunadh, 10, 12, 16, and 18 y.o. a few Talisker Dist. Ed.'s and an Oban Dist. Ed., an Old Pultney, The Arran, plus a few "Glen's". (Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Glengarioch, Glen Moray, Glenrothes, etc).

Unfortunately, I've never tried a Macallan. The reviews for their younger bottlings are very mixed at best, and their hi-end bottlings are crazy expensive,,,, so I'm waiting for the right one to come along. I had a Dalmore 15, but took it back after reading the reviews. The absolute worst I've had was a Benromach Peat & Smoke. VERY artificial and heavily overdone "smoke", Tastes like a campfire that's been pee'd on. Yuck. I wouldn't use that stuff to clean my tires. Utter garbage. Deanston Virgin Oak was forgettable at best.

Looking forward to trying a Springbank Campbelltown, and curious about the Longrow.

Last edited:
I have had a lot of those. In the past, Austin had a Scotch tasting at Opal Divines that I went to for many years. They said it was the largest west of the Mississippi with lots of vendors. So, I have tasted a lot of different brands. I even discovered Sheep Dip because it was close to an outside door where I was going out to get away from the crowds. It was good until they raised their price and you could buy better. I hope they start it up again. It was all shutdown with covid.

I am not much of a Macallen person either. I have had a high-end Dalmore that was good.

Tamdhu is another scotch I discovered more than 20 years ago. I would buy it by the case for less than $20 each. I think about less than 15 years ago the price went through the roof. It is now $65 to $70 a bottle. The last case I bought was like $23 each. It is the same scotch as I have tasted them side by side. Here is an old bottle I have. They now come in a nice black box for $50 more per bottle. I don't buy it any more either. There are better buys out there at their new price range.

I just don't drink much scotch anymore as they have gotten too expensive. I think Burbon is a better buy nowadays.

Cognac is kind of following suit like the scotches. I have some good cheap Cognac's that I can't find any more. I have a few bottles left but no more can be found for the last 4 or 5 years. Luckily, I buy a case at a time.

IMG_0410.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I've got a Balvenie Carribean Cask and the Doublewood in my collection. Also Highland Park 18 y.o., 15, and 12. Glenfarclas 105, a 15y.o., the 17 is outstanding,,,, and the 21 y.o.

Aberlour A'bunadh, 10, 12, 16, and 18 y.o. a few Talisker Dist. Ed.'s and an Oban Dist. Ed., an Old Pultney, The Arran, plus a few "Glen's". (Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Glengarioch, Glen Moray, Glenrothes, etc).

Unfortunately, I've never tried a Macallan. The reviews for their younger bottlings are very mixed at best, and their hi-end bottlings are crazy expensive,,,, so I'm waiting for the right one to come along. I had a Dalmore 15, but took it back after reading the reviews. The absolute worst I've had was a Benromach Peat & Smoke. VERY artificial and heavily overdone "smoke", Tastes like a campfire that's been pee'd on. Yuck. I wouldn't use that stuff to clean my tires. Utter garbage. Deanston Virgin Oak was forgettable at best.

Looking forward to trying a Springbank Campbelltown, and curious about the Longrow.

I've tried a few macallan, all of them was good. the basic 12y fine oak is ok, but at this price you have much interesting expressions. my favorite was select oak duty free version.

abrelour is defently better value and maybe overall. A'bunadh and 16 are super interesting to my taste.

for sherry i really like glengoyne 15&18 and glendronach(tried 12-18 and they are amazing for me).

I have a bowmore 10 which i cant drink 😅

the springbank that u mention is on my list for sure

I have had a lot of those. In the past, Austin had a Scotch tasting at Opal Divines that I went to for many years. They said it was the largest west of the Mississippi with lots of vendors. So, I have tasted a lot of different brands. I even discovered Sheep Dip because it was close to an outside door where I was going out to get away from the crowds. It was good until they raised their price and you could buy better. I hope they start it up again. It was all shutdown with covid.

I am not much of a Macallen person either. I have had a high-end Dalmore that was good.

Tamdhu is another scotch I discovered more than 20 years ago. I would buy it by the case for less than $20 each. I think about less than 15 years ago the price went through the roof. It is now $65 to $70 a bottle. The last case I bought was like $23 each. It is the same scotch as I have tasted them side by side. Here is an old bottle I have. They now come in a nice black box for $50 more per bottle. I don't buy it any more either. There are better buys out there at their new price range.

I just don't drink much scotch anymore as they have gotten too expensive. I think Burbon is a better buy nowadays.

Cognac is kind of following suit like the scotches. I have some good cheap Cognac's that I can't find any more. I have a few bottles left but no more can be found for the last 4 or 5 years. Luckily, I buy a case at a time.

View attachment 135394

because of this i googled for tamdhu and found 10y cask strength for (80usd - israel price) ...now i have to try it.

Back