what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys have any spare change under your car seat, or hiding in the sofa, you might wanna give this one a whirl.

https://www.saq.com/en/14714901
If I find that much under my car seat or in a sofa I have to quit drinking as that sort of money does not easily get lost as change ;-)
(and if it actually becomes change I'll be drinking that stuff every day)

If I find that much under my car seat or in a sofa I have to quit drinking as that sort of money does not easily get lost as change ;-)
(and if it actually becomes change I'll be drinking that stuff every day)
Yeah, I looked under mine too, and all I found was an old comb, and cat hair,,,,,, Lots of cat-hair.

You need to try Fonseca Bin 27 port if you never have. It is a good cheap port. I just bought 3 bottles to fill out my wine case I posted on here.

The cute wine girl told me to buy this one. She said it was as good as Fonseca Bin 27 and just as cheap. Have you ever tried it?
View attachment 135720

No, I've not tried the Fonseca Bin 27, but,,,, I just found it "listed" not far from me, at the LCBO. (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). Unfortunately, it's not in stock at the moment. Now that I check a little deeper into their "inventory",,, it appears that virtually all of their ports are "unavailable". Hmmm. Probably has to do with Covid shopping restrictions, or stock deliveries.

that is a shame, as Bin 27 is a nice Port indeed!

Very reasonable price too. Turns out that LCBO will do a store transfer for me. I'd place the order at my local store, they then search all the stores for stock, then transfer to my store a few days later. Current price is $17.25 CDN./ 750ml/26oz. bottle. No charge for store transfers. Taxes are included in the price.

2018 Norton Malbec (found in Costco) for $10. It is amazing for the price! James Suckling has rated it a 92. I agree.

Holy smoke, I now see that it seems that Canada has a system similar to the Swedish Systembolaget? :eek:

In Canada, each province has their own liquor board, In Quebec, you can buy wine and beer in grocery stores, but liquor is only available through government outlets.. You won't find liquor at Costco for example,,, but they are allowed to sell beer and wine. I can "import" products internationally if I want to, however, there are very strict rules and conditions, and the final purchase purchase price will be determined by the province. I cannot purchase from a retailer or distributor; the purchase must be made directly from a bottler/producer. Once a proposed purchased is agreed upon, that proposal has to be sent to the Quebec Liquor Board, where they'' either permit or disallow the purchase,,, and levy their "appropriate" tax.

In neighboring Ontario, I believe that beer sales are done through the government Brewer's Retail Outlet.(The Beer Store), and they sell only beer,,, no wine, no liquor. Conversely, you can find "some" beer in the provincial liquor store (LCBO), but it's mostly imports and micro-brewery products.

In Canada, each province has their own liquor board, In Quebec, you can buy wine and beer in grocery stores, but liquor is only available through government outlets.. You won't find liquor at Costco for example,,, but they are allowed to sell beer and wine. I can "import" products internationally if I want to, however, there are very strict rules and conditions, and the final purchase purchase price will be determined by the province. I cannot purchase from a retailer or distributor; the purchase must be made directly from a bottler/producer. Once a proposed purchased is agreed upon, that proposal has to be sent to the Quebec Liquor Board, where they'' either permit or disallow the purchase,,, and levy their "appropriate" tax.

In neighboring Ontario, I believe that beer sales are done through the government Brewer's Retail Outlet.(The Beer Store), and they sell only beer,,, no wine, no liquor. Conversely, you can find "some" beer in the provincial liquor store (LCBO), but it's mostly imports and micro-brewery products.
wow...do I interpret that correctly by thinking the Liquor board can approve my neighbours transaction yet disapprove mine?
Or does it just cut our the middle man? I mean, a 40euro bottle of Gin may cost a few to produce, and the shop gets a nice profit, so does the government adding taxes and VAT, I mean to ask; is the price level as ridiculous as that in Sweden or more similar to elsewhere?

wow...do I interpret that correctly by thinking the Liquor board can approve my neighbours transaction yet disapprove mine?
Or does it just cut our the middle man? I mean, a 40euro bottle of Gin may cost a few to produce, and the shop gets a nice profit, so does the government adding taxes and VAT, I mean to ask; is the price level as ridiculous as that in Sweden or more similar to elsewhere?

They INSERT THEMSELVES as the middleman. I make the deal directly with the producer, or their agent. Once that's done, the agreement is examined by the Liquor Board. If they approve, I pay for shipping, brokerage fees, customs fees, duties, taxes, and then the Liquor Board adds their "cut". Basically, they're charging me for doing the job that they didn't do. (to make the product available locally)

Their "fee" by the way, is a mystery until I complete the transaction/purchase. They'll only tell me what their mark-up fee will be, after I've made the deal with the producer.

Last edited:
a 40euro bottle of Gin may cost a few to produce, and the shop gets a nice profit, so does the government adding taxes and VAT, I mean to ask; is the price level as ridiculous as that in Sweden or more similar to elsewhere?

Well I can give you three examples, and we can compare prices. Here's a short list;
Highland Park 18 y.o. Scotch, currently $184. CDN. I paid $200./bottle 750ml. 5 year ago
Ardbeg Uigeadail currently $164.25/750ml bottle. I paid $174. roughly 5 years ago.
Don Julio 1942 tequila. Currently $179.75/750ml bottle. I paid $150./bottle 5 years ago.

The Canadian dollar has gone up in the last year or so. I'll check into the current exchange rate of the Swedish Krona. Let me know if those examples are available in your market.

I have a couple of Mackmyra Swedish single malt whiskey in my collection ,,,, a Mackmyra 1st Edition,,,, and a Mackmyra Brukswhiskey. I probably paid around $50.- $60$ Cdn. for each bottle.

Last edited:
When I was in Canada fishing up in Eagle Lake all the beer and liquor seemed high priced to me. Even Canadian Whiskey like Crown Royal seemed higher than what I pay normally. I don't really drink much Canadian whiskey. I was allowed one bottle of Bourbon when I crossed into Canada.

When I was in Canada fishing up in Eagle Lake all the beer and liquor seemed high priced to me. Even Canadian Whiskey like Crown Royal seemed higher than what I pay normally. I don't really drink much Canadian whiskey. I was allowed one bottle of Bourbon when I crossed into Canada.

I'm not surprised you found them high priced. The only good thing I can say about the prices at the liquor store is,, the price ticket you see on display for a given product, is the final price. Taxes are included in the price you see.

Here's a 40oz. Crown Royal for $40.75 CDN,,,, that's roughly $32. U.S. given the current exchange rate. There are many varieties, prices, and sizes of Crown Royal.

https://www.saq.com/en/11584013
https://www.saq.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=Crown+Royal+&cat=22

Octomor, bourbon, ardbeg an oa, and laphroig triple wood. + sniffing the ozuku and Hideriyama pretty hard. Drunk polishing/sharpening with a friend is an a+ experience. The wives eye rolling was also A+.
519F6857-D596-415B-BA1E-93F8A95F0947.jpeg
CBDB6A50-D949-4FD6-9904-DC54114B0AF2.jpeg

Nice Bourbon glass. I like your Bourbons and the scotch. They are all great. The tall bottle with the gold liquid I have never seen. Which one is it?

Nice Bourbon glass. I like your Bourbons and the scotch. They are all great. The tall bottle with the gold liquid I have never seen. Which one is it?
Thank you! It’s octomor 10.3, last year’s release. Less heavy diesel/industrial smoke of the 10.1, but nutty and rich inoffensive peat.

Highland Park 18Y is on sale (which is prohibited by law so ??) for 99 euro (I'm from the Netherlands, we use Euro rather than Swedish Krona)
WOW, that is pricy... Stealing is against the law, the government does not allow competition!

So, I found this rum. My Angostura Caribbean rum 1919 I can't find it right now. The guy said they have not been able to find Angostura Caribbean rum 1919. Here is a picture of both.

I looked for the Rhum Neisson Blanc 55% but I could not find it.
PS
So, I am drinking the El Dorado and I think it is my second favorite. It is a nice drinking rum.

View attachment 135196
I think my Neisson is 50%.

Highland Park 18Y is on sale (which is prohibited by law so ??) for 99 euro (I'm from the Netherlands, we use Euro rather than Swedish Krona)
WOW, that is pricy... Stealing is against the law, the government does not allow competition!

Yeah, monopolies seem to thrive all across Canada,,,, unfortunately. There's "some good, some bad" to that. I doubt we'd have even close to the vast selection we presently have, if it was left solely to private businesses. That said,,, at what cost????

A good old G&T, following the recipe of the late bartender of the NY Palace on 5th, 90% G and 10% T, dash of lime, and two ice cubes.

Which gin, and what brand of tonic? I haven't tried gin in quite a while, but I do have a few brands of London Dry Gins in my bar. Tanqueray, Beefeater, Gordon's, Hayman's, and Dillon's 22. My usual Tonic is Schweppes'. Tanqueray was usually my gin of choice for Martini's back in the day. 2oz-3oz. of Gin,,,, a few drops of Noilly Prat dry vermouth, and three olives.

Served as a Gin &Tonic, I imagine the gin brand doesn't matter much, but these days, there seems to be a plethora of "flavoured" gins and vodka's.

Last edited:
Which gin, and what brand of tonic? I haven't tried gin in quite a while, but I do have a few brands of London Dry Gins in my bar. Tanqueray, Beefeater, Gordon's, Hayman's, and Dillon's 22. My usual Tonic is Schweppes'. Tanqueray was usually my gin of choice for Martini's back in the day.

I like Hendrick's gin with a backup of Bombay Sapphire gin. My wife is on a Hendrick's Orbium, limited release, kick lately so we are buying a lot of it. And Fever Tree tonic water. I don't drink any of the stuff listed above any more. I think gin is really good in hot weather with the cold drinks you make.

A little more expensive but not crazy expensive. Well worth it.

Last edited:
Hendrick's is on my shopping list. I thought I had one in my collection, but I can't find it at the moment. The Hendrick's Dry is usually "in-stock" locally,,, not sure about Orbium however.

Tanqueray No 10 this time, the guy in the liquor store looked as if he saw water catching fire when I asked him which of the Gin's in his ample selection were properly distilled and not infused...., My fave Tonic is fever tree, though that is too sweet as most others are.
I like Hendricks too, we have a few pretty good Gin makers in the country but this shop just had the usual suspects and all their flavors (orange, cucumber, etc even lavender....YUCK, if I want a flavor in my Gin I'll add it myself) Typical chain that is part of a grocery store chain, with a non-interested care taker at the counter.
O those were the days, when the owner of the liquor store around the block exactly knew what I liked, I could ask the guy advice on anything from wine to spirits and his pick was almost always spot on!

IN this recipe the Tonic matters least 😁

Last edited:
Back